SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
srl, Prop looks sweet, but those servos are clear blue and appear to have plastic gears. I HOPE they are not HS-55's or anything like them ????
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Wow, I flew a pack this morning, but this time moved the battery back a few inches. Huge difference.

In my maiden video, you'll notice I was kind of fighting it a bit and there was no inverted flight because it was really dipping.

With the correct CG, she is tamed! Easy TRs and hovers and great inverted. And rollers piece of cake.

Now if I could just get some warmer temperatures. It was only 20 this morning and that's so cold I can only run 1 pack before frozen toes and fingers.

Any Minnesotans out there who fly in temps below 0 F?
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:56 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
I got my AMR yesterday (3 days before UPS said it would arrive on their website) and so far so good on the build. I'm about half way done and have yet to hit a build snag. Hopefully I can finish it up tonight so I can get it flying on Saturday. It looks like that will be the only decent flying day this week.

Thanks Adad and Steve for figuring out the mistake on my order and fixing it for me!

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Dec 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
click here
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2008
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun
Wow, I flew a pack this morning, but this time moved the battery back a few inches. Huge difference.

In my maiden video, you'll notice I was kind of fighting it a bit and there was no inverted flight because it was really dipping.

With the correct CG, she is tamed! Easy TRs and hovers and great inverted. And rollers piece of cake.

Now if I could just get some warmer temperatures. It was only 20 this morning and that's so cold I can only run 1 pack before frozen toes and fingers.

Someone here mentioned wearing disposable gloves to keep your hands warm.
straightedge_ is offline Find More Posts by straightedge_
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:08 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun

Right now, it's -4C in Seattle; partly cloudy, 7Km/h winds (24.8F and 4-5Mph)

Sounds like paradise! Get out there.

At the moment, it's a bit more than I could take here even with disposable gloves, i've never tried a tx mitt but they look like something that might help.

It's currently;

-18C 37Km/h light snow. "feels like -31"

Or, roughly 0F and 23Mph "feels like-23.8F"

IMO any lower than actual 5F is too cold to be worth the outing, and the less wind the better. Ever notice how COLD wind affects the plane a lot more than warm wind of the same speed would? (without even mentioning the effect it has on exposed skin)

I have two golden retriever lab mixes and today even they didn't want to play outside for too long... (they sometimes break ice to bathe in the chilled water beneath it and stay there as if it's comfortable, but today even they are feeling it)

Always exaggerate on the clothes, boots etc... we are standing still flying RC, so we can't dress as if we were going cross country skiing or snowshoeing uphill we are not going to last very long because we are not turning calories into heat at anywhere near the same rate. Pretend you are Aerofundan visiting Canada for the first time and REALLY want to stay warm
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
Sweet maiden vid there Flopgun!

Yup, I think I'm gonna like this plane!
....for being so antiquated, that is.
bri_877 is offline Find More Posts by bri_877
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Let it go dude!!!

LOL

I know you're just joking around, so am I
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:15 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
When I fly my cropduster I like to use those pouch type hand warmers. Just keep em in your pockets and reach in from time to time. They have these at Costco.

FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2005
12 Posts
Hey Flopgun,

Great looking maiden flight. Hope to see it fly on Sun. But right now the weather is not looking good. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
Chuck c
Chuck C is offline Find More Posts by Chuck C
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
[QUOTE=aflipz]Let it go dude!!! QUOTE]

NOPE.
bri_877 is offline Find More Posts by bri_877
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ireland
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Guys whats wrong with good old lipos for hand warmers,works for me! .I Have recently bought a tx mitt, LIFE SAVER! Definitely a good investment for those of you who have bad circulation or weather.
Eiretime is offline Find More Posts by Eiretime
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:36 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Great maiden vid Flop! I loved the scenery and the flying. It is very Christmassy with the red AMR and snow. I look forward to seeing more vids as you get used to the plane. Although, I would say based on your vid that you will get used to it very quickly! It is such a great plane, enjoy...
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:22 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiretime
Guys whats wrong with good old lipos for hand warmers,works for me! .I Have recently bought a tx mitt, LIFE SAVER! Definitely a good investment for those of you who have bad circulation or weather.
There's nothing wrong with my circulation, but -20's will definitely turn the blood in my fingers into molasses fast enough.

I have one fear regarding those mitts, please tell my if it is founded or not; In snow, I like to hand launch; I have a feeling I will let go of the plane but be unable to slip my launching hand safely inside the mitt without fumbling, to get back to the sticks and regain complete control.

Has that been an issue for you and which one did you get?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
Ireland
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Hey aflips here is a link to the mitt http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupsto...6397&Desc=mitt ,i have bad circulation and i can stay out way longer on the slopes than anyone with just gloves using a mitt. Admittedly there wasn't snow on the ground or -20 but up a mountain in Ireland in winter is cool enough! I would count myself new to the rc game so experience is not on my side , launching and putting your hand back in the mitt had worried me also but it does take a little practice. They are supplied with Velcro sleeves which you can take out which make it even easier to get into. They are not necessary if your a wearing a ski jacket, my coat seems to seal the gaps! I have only used this for gliding and it really has been useful but still haven't hand launched my Pa extra 260 with it yet. If you fly 2.4 ghz there is no need to cut any holes for an antenna, so no unwanted breezes. Hope this is useful and happy xmas to everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
There's nothing wrong with my circulation, but -20's will definitely turn the blood in my fingers into molasses fast enough.

I have one fear regarding those mitts, please tell my if it is founded or not; In snow, I like to hand launch; I have a feeling I will let go of the plane but be unable to slip my launching hand safely inside the mitt without fumbling, to get back to the sticks and regain complete control.

Has that been an issue for you and which one did you get?
Eiretime is offline Find More Posts by Eiretime
Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:03 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Hey what's going on guys? we haven't had a new video in like... days!

Dan, perhaps?