RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:19 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Yep, AMR KE spins are like nothing else. Personally I find the pop tops lack some energy compared to some of my heavier/faster monoplanes which can carry more speed into the manoeuvre. Maybe it's due to technique?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
Possibly, but I find the AMR does much faster and crisper rotations than my EF MXS. In fact I would say the MXS doesn't come close
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Possibly, but I find the AMR does much faster and crisper rotations than my EF MXS. In fact I would say the MXS doesn't come close
I think they are both equally awesome at Pops and KE Spins. I love how violent both of these planes can be or slow and graceful if you choose.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:46 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
It must just be me then because pop tops with my EF Laser or 51" AJ Slick are much more violent and do maybe three rotations compared to the one (if I'm lucky) I get from the AMR. It's hardly any surprise really because I'm pushing out 1kW in the monoplanes and a fair bit less than half that in the AMR, so entry speed is well down.

I'm not putting the AMR down at all, it's just as much fun, each model has it's strengths.

Anyone got videos of good pop tops on the AMR? I maybe need to change my technique, or maybe my batteries are getting past their best.
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
You should be able to get at least 1 1/2 - 2 rotations with the AMR. How do you like the Laser?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:44 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
It must just be me then because pop tops with my EF Laser or 51" AJ Slick are much more violent and do maybe three rotations compared to the one (if I'm lucky) I get from the AMR. It's hardly any surprise really because I'm pushing out 1kW in the monoplanes and a fair bit less than half that in the AMR, so entry speed is well down.

I'm not putting the AMR down at all, it's just as much fun, each model has it's strengths.

Anyone got videos of good pop tops on the AMR? I maybe need to change my technique, or maybe my batteries are getting past their best.
I am flying full iPAS on my new green one with VOX 14x7 prop and PA v2 2200 lipos. Entry speed is not that shabby actually. I'll try get some video next weekend, weather permitting.
I've not flown an AMR for quite some time since I planted my red one and the new Katana MX has had almost all of my attention, i've forgotten just how much crazy fun one can have with the AMR.
Now you have me wondering how much CG location affects pop tops?
JFP, on your next outing try moving your CG back to stock and see if it has any influence on your pop tops... just as an experiment.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
You should be able to get at least 1 1/2 - 2 rotations with the AMR. How do you like the Laser?
Maybe it's my technique, or lack thereof

The laser is really good, it's a great all rounder. maybe not quite as stable in harrier as the EF edge (but not far off) but it's better at snaps and tumbles. Great at pop tops too.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:03 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Now you have me wondering how much CG location affects pop tops?
JFP, on your next outing try moving your CG back to stock and see if it has any influence on your pop tops... just as an experiment.
I don't think CG has much if any effect on pop tops to be honest. I'll try sliding the battery back just to experiment but I know I wont want to keep it there because the thing just climbs like stupid when inverted and is just all round cranky to fly (flies like a badly tail heavy plane in fact)... or at least that's how it felt to me.

Maybe my batteries are getting a bit tired but they previously performed great (Gens Ace 30c).. Motor is currently the stock Thrust 40 spinning a Xoar 14x7 so no reason for it to be lacking. I've not noticed any detectable loss of speed, it appears to go just as fast as it ever did but it would be crazy to expect a draggy bipe with less than half the power to be in the same league when it comes to speed as something like my Laser or Slick?

I think most of the problem is probably my thumbs.. My pop top timing works fine on the monoplanes but maybe I need to do something a bit different with the AMR.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Maybe your just over thinking it. This will pop it's top with ease You should not be climbing while inverted. I can fly mine hands off in either up or down. You should have some down elevator trimmed in to fly level upright. Sound like you need to move the battery back and trim in some down next time out.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:53 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,253 Posts
Well DemonGti got one poptop that had about 3 1/2 rotations yesterday
I find that the AMR is the only plane i can get a poptop going.I battle like crazy with my Slick.I even got 3/4 of a rotation with my addy yesterday
When I was deciding yesterday what to fly I was thinking of taking my AMR,but thought it's such a still day,the addy should fly some,and I had as ball,but seeing Demon having so much fun I was kind of bummed I didn't take mine.Well it's definitely going to get some air this coming weekend
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Maybe your just over thinking it. This will pop it's top with ease You should not be climbing while inverted. I can fly mine hands off in either up or down. You should have some down elevator trimmed in to fly level upright. Sound like you need to move the battery back and trim in some down next time out.
Mine doesn't climb when inverted, but it does if i move the battery back And yes, like all AMR's it has the elevator trimmed down for normal flight, by about 3-4mm measured at the front of the horn balance.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:42 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
I find that the AMR is the only plane i can get a poptop going.I battle like crazy with my Slick.
Well there you go, i can pop top my Slick no problem at all, it spins like a top, but the AMR I struggle with. It is probably just technique, mine works good on the Slick, not so good on the AMR... Yours appears to be the opposite.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:11 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Well there you go, i can pop top my Slick no problem at all, it spins like a top, but the AMR I struggle with. It is probably just technique, mine works good on the Slick, not so good on the AMR... Yours appears to be the opposite.
yes and timing is different I would say. And I run 13x6 prop on mine,so it's wierd that you battle to get enough speed going.
but the AMR is still the KE spin KING
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:10 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
yes and timing is different I would say. And I run 13x6 prop on mine,so it's wierd that you battle to get enough speed going.
but the AMR is still the KE spin KING
I dont think it's weird that the AMR is slower than the Laser or Slick. It's probably got more drag what with it's two wings and a bunch of struts, and it's got less than half the power.. There would be something very weird if it was anything like as fast. The AMR isn't about speed.

But yep. I agree, it's KE king, no doubt about it!