HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:23 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyfisher View Post
I went to Denver (100 miles west) to fly at an AirPark for the very first time this last weekend. I normally fly off of Harrison Ave. at the end of my street in Leadville (elev. 10,200') and fly over a half mile square open space. I was down in Denver visiting in-laws and doing a maiden flight on my just-completed PA Ultimate AMR. I saw a number of new (to me) airplanes and met a bunch of nice folks. I was most interested in a 42" Dynam Peaks 4 channel 3D foam biplane that retails for the ridiculously low price of $132. That includes everything but a battery and a radio system. I was so impressed I went home and ordered one, to practice on before destroying my much more expensive Ultimate. My question is, does anyone here fly these things? Especially I'd like to hear from someone that flies, or has flown, both.
I have the Peaks. It's not even in the same zip code as the AMR. It's fine for $132 and it will be good to build confidence I guess. Although honestly the AMR is easier to fly and land than the Peaks. It's just getting it out of your head that the AMR is balsa and cost $500 to build that's the hard part. Once you get over that it's so relaxing to fly. Even when you get crazy with the AMR there really isn't a pucker effect because you have so much confidence when flying it. You'll still enjoy the Peaks especially at first. At least until you fly the AMR
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:40 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,003 Posts
Is it this one? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1547185

I don't own the linked plane myself, but I know someone else who does at the field and it appears to fly very solidly and cleanly. It does some very nice, low and slow KE and inverted passes. He doesn't fly 3D though, just fun aerobatics. He says it's one of his favourite and most solid flyers.

Hopefully someone who has both will chime in. I cannot wait for the weekend to come.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:43 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
I will unfortunately have to sell my AMR soon aswell as my other planes, as I'm moving to Thailand and need to start getting rid of my planes.but will def get another one over there,will find out if it will be viable to ship it over though.
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:12 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
I will unfortunately have to sell my AMR soon aswell as my other planes, as I'm moving to Thailand and need to start getting rid of my planes.but will def get another one over there,will find out if it will be viable to ship it over though.
Wat

I hope it's not too many...

Shipping by boat can be cheaper but will take months.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:48 AM
edgy eddy
Joined Oct 2008
78 Posts
Rayonnair... that's the one. I'll get it Thursday, hopefully fly it Saturday on my primary flying field at the end of the street. I think it will give me more confidence to do the things I want to do with the AMR but am too jittery to try yet outside the simulator. The maiden flight of the AMR was spooky even on the recommended low rates. I had to cut those in half and now it flies nice and mellow. I will advance the rates as I progress but I am a self-taught intermediate pilot aspiring to bigger things. I'll spend some time at the airfields down in Denver over the next couple of months and see what I can pick up. There are some sick pilots that fly there. Never saw it in person before only in videos.
Eddyfisher is offline Find More Posts by Eddyfisher
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:05 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,973 Posts
Quote:
The maiden flight of the AMR was spooky even on the recommended low rates. I had to cut those in half and now it flies nice and mellow.
You shouldn't have any problem with high rates if you use plenty of exponential. Also it's worth fine tuning the CG to your taste because many find the recommended CG much too tail, heavy, which makes the handling quite tricky. I ended up with the CG at 48mm from LE rather than 59.5 as recommended in the manual, that's a pretty big difference.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I ended up with the CG at 48mm from LE rather than 59.5 as recommended in the manual
That's nice to know. The manual says from 57mm to 59 1/2mm...that's splitting some hairs ain't it?!

I may have to try it out. Thanks JPF.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
edgy eddy
Joined Oct 2008
78 Posts
[QUOTE=JetPlaneFlyer Also it's worth fine tuning the CG to your taste because many find the recommended CG much too tail, heavy, which makes the handling quite tricky. I ended up with the CG at 48mm from LE rather than 59.5 as recommended in the manual, that's a pretty big difference.[/QUOTE]

That's not the only thing that is better experimented with in the setup for this one. I'll try your suggestion.
Eddyfisher is offline Find More Posts by Eddyfisher
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:40 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,441 Posts
Quote:
I went to Denver (100 miles west) to fly at an AirPark for the very first time this last weekend. I normally fly off of Harrison Ave. at the end of my street in Leadville (elev. 10,200') and fly over a half mile square open space. I was down in Denver visiting in-laws and doing a maiden flight on my just-completed PA Ultimate AMR. I saw a number of new (to me) airplanes and met a bunch of nice folks. I was most interested in a 42" Dynam Peaks 4 channel 3D foam biplane that retails for the ridiculously low price of $132. That includes everything but a battery and a radio system. I was so impressed I went home and ordered one, to practice on before destroying my much more expensive Ultimate. My question is, does anyone here fly these things? Especially I'd like to hear from someone that flies, or has flown, both.
I had the peaks, nice flying foamie, good for sports, but no comparison to the AMR and I find the AMR easier to fly, it slows down better and has so much more authority and power to weight that it is easy to keep out of trouble. I also have the vyper bipe which is a lot more precise, a lot faster but not a comfortable or as fun to fly as the AMR
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Wat

I hope it's not too many...

Shipping by boat can be cheaper but will take months.
just an idea,but I do know it's crazy to ship things over like that.So will probably hang on as long as I can.only going in Nov though,so have a few months left to enjoy the nice planes I have.
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:47 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
I finally had a nice day yesterday to maiden the Ultimate. I double and triple checked everything prior to takeoff. I lilted her off the ground and immediately she went nuts. It was rolling hard to the left and up. I felt like I was trying some crazy roller-coaster bull ride! She got way out and away from me. I managed to get her back and set her down nice and soft with out a scratch.

When I got to the plane, the control surfaces had changed right after take-off. The right ailerons were about 20* down and the left side were straight and true. The rudder was a couple clicks right. Any idea what would cause the changes post flight?

After retrieval, I mechanically trimmed the plane out again and rebalanced it. This time she flew great! I just flew some circuit patterns, some elevators and a few rolls to get used to her. Next time out I won't have the adrenaline shakes and I'll put her through the paces.

All in all it turned out to be a great day and this is going to be one great flying machine! Thanks to all who posted in this thread as I learned a lot from you all.

HBGB
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:09 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,003 Posts
Grats on the maiden! You'll grow to like it lots I think.

No idea on the control surface thing.. you mean, it was all OK on the ground but once it took off the right aileron went bonkers?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
you mean, it was all OK on the ground but once it took off the right aileron went bonkers?
Yep, it has me scratching my head

And thanks

HBGB
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:03 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
Yep, it has me scratching my head

And thanks

HBGB
I had the same on my second AMR's maiden. Took me two or three flights to figure out, on the aileron control rod, the one steel z-bend pin didn't adhere to the carbon rod properly. It just needed a redo and a little bit more sanding on the pin and carbon rod. All fixed up after that!
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:01 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masehare View Post
I had the same on my second AMR's maiden. Took me two or three flights to figure out, on the aileron control rod, the one steel z-bend pin didn't adhere to the carbon rod properly. It just needed a redo and a little bit more sanding on the pin and carbon rod. All fixed up after that!
Thanks but the rods are fine. It's either in the RX or the TX. I'm running a dual aileron setup and it was double and triple checked after the build and then again before flight. After she was in the air, the right ailerons were down drastically and the rudder was a few clicks right. I'm using a AR6210X rx w/satellite. Anyone else have something like this happen?