Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:41 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'm afraid that's why you should not go enlarging the holes The plywood plate isn't very big and if you put in a larger servo the servo mounting holes will hit balsa rather than plywood, as you have discovered.

If you have already cut the holes then you are into a repair situation. If it were me I'd get some suitable size servos (Hitec HS-65MG, Savox SH-0257 or similar) then glue in a small piece of plywood to replace the bit that you have cut out.

Larger servos will likely be too heavy anyway and will upset the CG even if you did find a way to fit them.
JetPlaneFlyer, I had a problem with slotting in servos because the wires sticking out the side of the servo interfered with installation. I had to do a fair amount of filing away at the servo holes to get the servos to fit.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:04 PM
edgy eddy
Joined Oct 2008
78 Posts
Is there a sim for RealFlight G4.5 for the Ultimate AMR? I just bought the IPA Pro package and can't wait to fly it...but I'd rather crash a sim a few (hundred) times first.
Eddyfisher is offline Find More Posts by Eddyfisher
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:56 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,216 Posts
If you are confident with aerobatic aileron models then the AMR wont be any problem. just set the throws to low settings and set the CG well forward for the maiden (i use 48mm at the tip). The AMR really is a very easy model to fly.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,216 Posts
Llucky escape on my AMR. An aileron servo (Hitec HS-65MG) locked up in flight. fortunately it locked almost at neutral and other than the plane handling a bit sluggish and turning slightly it was not a problem and I brought it down and landed without issue.
The 65MG servos in the model are quite old having been migrated from a previous model into the AMR about 18 months ago. time for new servos all round I think so i got four Savox SH-0257's. It will be interesting to see if the feel is any different with the faster digitals in there.

This is the third really lucky escape the AMR has had:

First I has a Blue-Bird digital elevator servo burn out mid flight which shorted out the BEC and shut down the receiver. The AMR glided down with no control at all and landed itself with the only damage a l/g retaining screw pulled loose.

Second I was flying the AMR when and my flying buddy got out of shape on landing approach. Out of the corner of my eye I saw his plane heading straight toward me and took avoiding action. In doing so I look my eye off the AMR and lost it altogether in the sun. Not having a clue where the plane was I instinctively pulled back on the stick and gave it a bit of power, hearing the motor rev behind me I turned to see the AMR bounce up from a touch and go and pull up into a hover with no help from me.. I give it full throttle and climbed away, no damage done
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:28 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
I lost my prop and prop adapter yesterday, tiny bit of damage to the cowl, but it sure flys nice as a glider
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:36 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I lost my prop and prop adapter yesterday, tiny bit of damage to the cowl, but it sure flys nice as a glider
This happens often Yes it does glide nice! I really wish PA would stop using a collet. They could easily mount the motor with an X brace to the firewall and use the bolt on adapter. Then the box would be shorter and more stable as well. Not sure why they think it's a good idea to use a collet on high powered setup. EF and 3DHS both use the X brace and you never worry about the prop flying away from the plane. Rant over!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:18 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,763 Posts
JPF, do let us know how the savox servos turn out! Always looking out for something to use.

After reading so many collet adapter loss stories, I'm wondering if it will be worth my time to open mine up and put some #638 loctite on it. It's supposedly made specifically for shafts and according to the specs takes shearing forces quite well.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:45 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Yep, I hate collets as well, plus it went bye bye so I lost a new vox prop as well
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:12 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
was it the work of KE spins? same happened to me a while ago,sending my CF Spinner and VOX flying never to be found.she does glide very well with no power
I use collets on all ,u planes,and even some of my faster much higher revving motors and haven't had it fly off though.I think it's one of those things we need to check more often
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Last edited by chop stiX; Jan 09, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:33 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
was it the work of KE spins? same happened to me a while ago,sending my CF Spinner and VOX flying never to be found.she does glide very well with no power
I use collets on all ,u planes,and even some of my faster much higher revving motors and haven't had it fly off though.I think it's one of those things we need to check more often
yes it was a KE spin
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:38 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
yes it was a KE spin
ahhhhh the Killer.i think we should rename to Killer spin
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
I have never lost a prop due to the collet coming off on any of my PA planes.
But reading "other" threads I've seen many pics of destroyed motors fitted cross mount style.
Now personally if it did happen to me, i'd rather have to replace a prop and collet (if I couldn't find it) than a motor, cowl, prop etc... just my 2c
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
Don't get me started on collets! Prop flew off during initial run up of my KMX and then again at the field GRRR! Then striped it trying to get it tighter and then found it was bent anyway. Tried to take the good one from my AMR and use it on the KMX only to slightly bend it trying to get it off. Pissed! I hate collets!!!

FlyWW1 you did that on purpose!!!
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:45 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,216 Posts
The cure for crappy collets.

Ditch your lousy soft aluminium collet and get a Hacker collet. The Hacker version is made out of stainless steel. ok it's a few grams heavier but MUCH stronger meaning you can tighten it tighter and the shaft is gripped so much better. I've put 1100W through a 5mm Hacker collet.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:49 AM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The cure for crappy collets.

Ditch your lousy soft aluminium collet and get a Hacker collet. The Hacker version is made out of stainless steel. ok it's a few grams heavier but MUCH stronger meaning you can tighten it tighter and the shaft is gripped so much better. I've put 1100W through a 5mm Hacker collet.
I bought a new collet at my local HS and it is just the shop brand, locally hand made for $8, but let me tell you this thing will never come off now, stainless steel and really well made, in fact I put it on with the prop, took the prop off and I can not remove the collet by hand, yes it is heavy, but now maybe I can move my battery back a bit