SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Awesome!!!, mine got close to 800 - 1000 flights!!! its really an awesome plane that will last for many years if you take care of it!!
Yeah, I think this is the first plane I own that is more likely to die of old age than anything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
That's awsome Rayonair.So when do we get to see some new vid
Well thing is, I mostly fly in the early mornings and my field faces the sunrise. On top of that, one of my flying buddies who brings his camera often also likes to fly and I always tell him it's more fun flying than taking videos of other people flying . And finally, I've only been flying since early May 2012, so there are a lot of things that I can't do or only attempt to do high up. Most of the time what you see on video will be a small speck flitting around the sky hahaha. Currently working on hovering, rolling circles, inverted flight, and what I am told is a "crankshaft" (snap into a tight waterfall thing, I can never get it to look right), none of which are things learnt in a single weekend. I'm not sure you want to see me high up tipping over drunkenly as I fail to hold a hover .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
20 hours! You've only had it a few weeks haven't you?

AMR + Charged batteries = Big smiles
Yup. Had it since october or so but only built it up and flew it in late november. It's coming up to the end of december now so pretty much just a month of flying and it caught up to all my planes and surpassed them in flight time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Finally got my blue covering to cover up the spot where I had to use black until the blue came. Now she's looking normal again.
Woo! Is it time to go up again?
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:35 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,226 Posts
Couldn't be without it so I covered the tares in PA black. My blue just came, with my red KMX, so I got her looking good again!
Had a bad slow speed snap over a few months ago and the covering ripped. The fuse was an easy fix, the wing not so much. She looks and flies good now though.
before:

after with only covering purchased:

oops how'd that get in there!
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
That's some serious repair work! It looks like the wing snapped clean off.

Hmm, the Katana MX looks like a nice size for me to consider in future .
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Awsome Ryaonair.lol don'y worry I'm a wahoo myself.but if you really wanna learn the low slow stuff then the addy is the way to go I've hardly flown anything else but my addy this dec,been having lank fun with it.I've really battled with rollers,and I'm almost there,though I keep a safe height.but low hovers and inverted harriers are toooooo much fun.Must say,think my AMR needs to tear up some sky this weekend.haven't flown her in almost 2 months now
The KMX sure is a beautycan't wait for march to get mine
Oh one more thing,BLUE AMR's FLY BEST
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,745 Posts
Kmx is a great plane. Flys gentle but does all the tricks. To me the addy flies more like a foamy. Of course that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is just different. The IMAX flies like a real balsa plane but is also super gentle, stable and predictable
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:44 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Awsome Ryaonair.lol don'y worry I'm a wahoo myself.but if you really wanna learn the low slow stuff then the addy is the way to go I've hardly flown anything else but my addy this dec,been having lank fun with it.I've really battled with rollers,and I'm almost there,though I keep a safe height.but low hovers and inverted harriers are toooooo much fun.Must say,think my AMR needs to tear up some sky this weekend.haven't flown her in almost 2 months now
The KMX sure is a beautycan't wait for march to get mine
Oh one more thing,BLUE AMR's FLY BEST
I've seen two addictions at the field. They appear to fly super light and gentle, with almost no coupling. Not sure if they can fly nuts, I kind of like how aggro the AMR can be! Not to mention I love the biplane looks.

Anyway I plonked down some money for a big (-ish, 72" WS) 3dhs plane. We'll see how that goes. Going to be late feb/march before it comes, but all my components have already arrived and are ready to be installed. I was waiting for some news on the other "big" PA release but didn't hear anything so I just went ahead first! OK, enough about other company's planes, the AMR is too nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Kmx is a great plane. Flys gentle but does all the tricks. To me the addy flies more like a foamy. Of course that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is just different. The IMAX flies like a real balsa plane but is also super gentle, stable and predictable
What's an IMAX?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:20 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
The addy is not violent at all.it's a gracefull flier for all round fun.nice 72" is rather big
gas or electric?
but it's true nothing comes as close a KE spin as the AMR
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:52 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Electric.

Re: the addiction, OK thanks. I will stick to the AMR, beautiful plane
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:09 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
The AMR sure is just really shows it's presence.I had more attention with my little AMR a few weeks ago at a mates club that I got invited to, than a huge 100cc ultimate did
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:32 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post

What's an IMAX?
Sorry Typo...

KMX
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:40 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Typo...

KMX
Ahhhh OK I gotcha! I thought it was that, but KMX and IMAX are relatively farther apart and I thought you were specifically saying IMAX.

OK so at approx. 120 flights into the AMR I have finally decided I have had it with the twitchiness. Not only was it really twitchy, but in the end of tight loops my tail snaps out, inverted I climb ever so slightly, and the KE mixing was never quite right or consistent, never letting me get into rock solid KE at different angles of attack and giving me all sorts of coupling heebeegeebees.

I figured these were all symptoms of a tail heavy plane. Problem is, my battery was far forward and there was no way for me to put it forward even more without the battery exiting the area of the tray where my strap can fit into the groove.

So... I added 10g to the tip of the motor mount . I hate adding dead weight.

...but now, she flies just at the edge of rock solid! Spent some 12 packs in her today. Regular KE is locked in almost hands off, and high angles just require some concentration to keep the roll and pitch axes on track. I even did 2 KE loops. There is no more snapping in tight flying loops, though there is some when I do those micro-loops (almost like waterfalls) by just pulling full up. I sink ever so slightly inverted, it takes a while before you notice it going down.

Now that I think I've finally gotten every mix and trim sorted out (after ~120 flights... HAHA!), I've decided in celebration I should put on the wheel pants. Which I have. And now she flies well AND is gorgeous.

(PS: the tape came off the other lower aileron... grrr. I'll iron it back on when I get the chance.)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:18 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,476 Posts
Funny, because my AMR balances ok for neutral trim (CG 47-48mm from LE @tip) without any nose weight. I have the battery well forward but not all the way, there is a gap of about 25mm between the rear of the battery and the rear end of the battery tray.

My set up is pretty standard, Thrust motor, 65MG servos, ESC is 50Amp ZTW (a very light ESC so shouldn't be making any difference) prop is 14x7 xoar. I even have a beefed up tailwheel which must add a few grams in the tail and it still balances fine.

I do agree though that whatever it takes to get the CG right it's worth it because she flies a lot better with the CG set right. Where did your CG end up?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:32 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,745 Posts
Yeah, that is really strange. Are you flying the stock motor and ESC? What servos? Did you change the tail wheel?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:17 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Funny, because my AMR balances ok for neutral trim (CG 47-48mm from LE @tip) without any nose weight. I have the battery well forward but not all the way, there is a gap of about 25mm between the rear of the battery and the rear end of the battery tray.

My set up is pretty standard, Thrust motor, 65MG servos, ESC is 50Amp ZTW (a very light ESC so shouldn't be making any difference) prop is 14x7 xoar. I even have a beefed up tailwheel which must add a few grams in the tail and it still balances fine.

I do agree though that whatever it takes to get the CG right it's worth it because she flies a lot better with the CG set right. Where did your CG end up?
I'm not sure where my CG ended up. I added 5g, which didn't really work 100%, then I added another 5g and it was good. I left it at that. I'll measure it later - how do you determine CG anyway, is it when the fuselage is level with the ground? I'm not sure what imaginary line to use on the AMR.

Quote:
Yeah, that is really strange. Are you flying the stock motor and ESC? What servos? Did you change the tail wheel?
I suspect it is the servos + the modified tail wheel. I changed the tail wheel because of this thread. My servos are TGY-306Gs, they're actually quite heavy at 22g each. In comparison the HS-65MGs are what, 12g? That's a lot of weight. But I'm liking the servos so far. Fast, and strong enough. I should get a camera up there some time and check for blowback.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:26 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,745 Posts
Yes that is 20 extra grams in tail plus the extra weight of the tail wheel. That explains it.

I would not worry at all about "measuring" CG. Just set it in flight. You should be able to fly hands free upright and either hands free or just a slight bit of elevator while inverted to keep the nose up. If it flies like that you are golden.