SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:04 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
When I had my brownout with digital servos, I was using a warranty replacement ESC from April last year (2011). I was told it was a new version. It has a green heat sink on it. Do you think the internal BEC in that unit should hold up to 4 digital servos? In my case, it did not.

Sub

Any chance a servo could have been stalling? Digital draw huge current if they cant reach their commanded position.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:27 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Any chance a servo could have been stalling? Digital draw huge current if they cant reach their commanded position.
yeah, the "Team pilot" guy asked a while back if I thought my servos were binding, but they weren't when I built it, nor after I installed the BEC. That said, I HAVE had 5065s die before, and they were locked and hot. They worked fine after the receiver reset though, so beyond that, I can't explain it.

Perhaps my results were just unusual for some other reason. Perhaps I'm one of the few who used digital servos and had a bad result. Either way, perhaps I'll never know. I still use my quantum ESC though, but in another application.

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:35 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,038 Posts
Woo, more packs through the amr with new servos .

It responds a lot faster. And I finally got it neutrally trimmed. The only thing I can't figure out is in a straight down power off dive test it pulls to the canopy, but inverted it flies straight?

Anyway I'm now trying to get the perfect inputs for an inverted flat spin. Any tips for the AMR? I notice it snaps easily but there is a very fine line between when it snaps and when it flattens out. More throttle just makes it exit inverted.

I dumb thumbed it on a harrier landing and dug the nose in so it's slightly wobbly. I hope it's just the adapter and not the shaft! So much fun
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:00 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
^Bipes can be difficult to keep from climbing at all the different flying speeds since the top wing is making so much lift. The faster you go the more it pulls to the canopy side.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:03 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,749 Posts
Glad to see you are back flying Rayon!

The pulling to the canopy during a dive is expected; it is due to the drag of the upper wing. Bipes are a bit quirky, if it flies straight inverted- just be satisfied that is the sign of a well balanced 3d machine IMO.

Perhaps someone else can comment on the spins... I have not flown AMR in a while

In regards to the wobble- remove the cowl and be sure to check all the joints on your motor box and firewall. Something could be loose and if not addressed, you risk your motor pulling your mount off in flight and you will likely damage the cowl as well. Give it a thorough inspection.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,038 Posts
Ok thanks guys.

Yup I will inspect. I wasn't comfortable at the field so I packed the amr so I can inspect it when I get home.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:29 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,038 Posts
Darn. It's the motor shaft. Everything else is... fine?

The bend is slight but noticeable. Going to have to see how I can get this one replaced... have to tap it out and take a look see first. I guess I'm not flying tomorrow
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:23 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,170 Posts
I bent the shaft in my Thrust 40 in my first outing with the motor. It was a pure to change the shaft because I couldn't get the retaining screws to come loose. I got there in the end but it wasn't pretty!

My advice is to get some really high quality allen keys 'Bondhus' are the best ones I've come across.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Darn. It's the motor shaft. Everything else is... fine?

The bend is slight but noticeable. Going to have to see how I can get this one replaced... have to tap it out and take a look see first. I guess I'm not flying tomorrow
Are you sure it's the shaft and not the prop adapter?
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:47 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,449 Posts
Yep make sure you get good quality tools for the job. They will serve you well in the long run. If you can't release the motor shaft allen key try heating the area with a butane torc or at least a cigarette lighter to loosen the lock tite.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:15 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
It's a 5mm shaft. If you bent the shaft then you probably broke a lot more. Are you sure it wasn't just the adapter or if you're using the Carbon Fiber spinner they tend to get wobbly. I have had to tack CA mine in place to keep it spinning true.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:42 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,038 Posts
Shaft came out pretty easy. Have a decent set of tools for rc buggies. Yes, I was puzzled at the lack of damage everywhere else. The shaft is extremely slightly bent. You can't see it by eye, and you can't even see it very well when you roll it on a flat surface, but it's there. I've bought a replacement and will install it tonight if I have time.

I've gone over the motor mount and fuse, no cracks. Lg is fine. I'm puzzled, yes. Not sure how it turned out like this. The spinner and prop are undamaged too! You can imagine my confusion

If there's something deeply structurally wrong I guess I'll find out
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:42 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,170 Posts
Sound the same as the bend on the shaft on mine. Hardly perceptible when you look at the shaft but enough to cause the tips of the prop to be offset by 3 or 4mm.

Mine had a wood Xoar 14x7 and I didn't even break the prop, just bent the shaft and did no other damage whatsoever. The problem is the groove where the circlip fits, it weakens the shaft quite a bit.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:54 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,038 Posts
Just wanted to show you guys how slight the bend is!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Just wanted to show you guys how slight the bend is!
That image shows very nicely that the bend is only at the circlip groove, exactly how mine looked.