HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,024 Posts
I fitted a 7A though, because I had it on hand.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 AM
3d electric is my world.....
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
It was me that wrote about having my system brown out using the Quantum 45's internal BEC ages ago. I was using Hitec 5065 servos (digital). It happened after a hundred or so flights. The internal BEC in that ESC might be fine for analogue serovs, but is marginal for the load of four digital servos.

If PA say that you can run 4x analogue servos off the internal BEC, then who am I to argue? If you're running digitals though, think twice because my experience was not a good one with that combo.
Well thanks all for the input. Prob a dumb question, but is the hitec 65mg a digital servo? I am prob now not sure what is the best servo to use! Hitec seems to be reasonably easy to get hold of where i am, and i have never really had a problem wit them, but which hitec servo should i use? also i notice that the esc that came in the drive ipa package (q45) states that the internal bec outputs 4amp and 6 amp peak. I wonder if previous q45's where spec'd a little lower. Not that i want to spend the money, but te castle outputs 5amp on the internal bec...
But then i am not sure if using the castle bec would cause any issues with the pa motor....

I love this hobby but i seem to get so confused with these sort of issues
theBrent is offline Find More Posts by theBrent
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,577 Posts
The HS65MG is a great servo for this plane. If you are going analogue you can not do better.

IF you want to spend more money and get digitals (they are faster, stronger and more precise) get the Airtronics 94809. They are awesome. BUt really, the 65's are great servos, one of Hitecs BEST!

If the BEC is 4 amps that should be enough. If you really want to be sure, stick with the IPA ESC and get a Castle BEC, It;s the CC BEC as seen here: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Not the CC BEC PRO!

The Castle Bec is simple to install and delivers 10 amps max. The weight is insignificant.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:15 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,196 Posts
+1 on all of what Dead said

I'm running four HS-65MG's (which are not digital by the way) in my AMR off the built in 4A BEC in my ESC and I've never had a problem.

On my slightly larger planes where I've got digitals installed I use the CC 10A Peak BEC, which is an excellent product.

cheers
Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,760 Posts
She's all fixed! With much less slop than there used to be! I can't wait for the weekend! It better not rain!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrent View Post
Well thanks all for the input. Prob a dumb question, but is the hitec 65mg a digital servo? I am prob now not sure what is the best servo to use! Hitec seems to be reasonably easy to get hold of where i am, and i have never really had a problem wit them, but which hitec servo should i use? also i notice that the esc that came in the drive ipa package (q45) states that the internal bec outputs 4amp and 6 amp peak. I wonder if previous q45's where spec'd a little lower. Not that i want to spend the money, but te castle outputs 5amp on the internal bec...
But then i am not sure if using the castle bec would cause any issues with the pa motor....

I love this hobby but i seem to get so confused with these sort of issues
theBrent, if I recall correctly, the later ones are indeed spec'd a bit higher than previous ones. Mine also says 5.6v@4A/6A burst, and I remember being pleasantly surprised because I had thought the quantum45s were 5V@4A max, 3A on 3S based on PA's page.

If it does what it says on the tin, 4A/6A burst should be plenty for the "9g" sized servos, digital or no. My only source for this is my personal experience, so grain of salt and all that.

I suppose a separate BEC will give you some additional redundancy if the ESC decides to go up in smoke or something.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Last edited by rayonnair; Nov 29, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: silly errors
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
It was me that wrote about having my system brown out using the Quantum 45's internal BEC ages ago. I was using Hitec 5065 servos (digital). It happened after a hundred or so flights. The internal BEC in that ESC might be fine for analogue serovs, but is marginal for the load of four digital servos.

If PA say that you can run 4x analogue servos off the internal BEC, then who am I to argue? If you're running digitals though, think twice because my experience was not a good one with that combo.
Yes but the new Q45 pro is totally different, it has an SBEC which has more power than the internal bec of the older Q45. Plus he is asking HS65MG which are analog.... so you should be totally fine! even if you go with 5065s they will be fine with the new Q45 Pro
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:42 PM
3d electric is my world.....
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Thanks again all for the input, people that offer their advice/experiance on theseforums have really made this sport for me! Feeling more confident now. Will go with the 65mg all round and stock q45. Can't wait to get in the air!!!!
theBrent is offline Find More Posts by theBrent
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
I run the new Q45 pro with 5065 digi's and it runs fine and thats with 3 axis gyro running the servo's at very high speed
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Big thanks

Sorry about the stupid what's PM message. Moving on I would like to thank all the people who sent me copy manuals. Fantastic, generous and very kind. I also want to thank PA themselves. Sent them a mail and got a PDF manual. Whilst a download link on their site would be a gooooood idea I want to say thanks for their prompt and unexpected PDF manual they sent me. They rock in my view and their plane is very high quality construction. Volkswagen of the rc plane manufacturer world.
MonkeyNuts007 is offline Find More Posts by MonkeyNuts007
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Yes but the new Q45 pro is totally different, it has an SBEC
What does the "S" stand for in SBEC? What are the specs on the new Pro version?

As I have never before had an issue, I have no intention of changing components; I am just curious
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
What does the "S" stand for in SBEC? What are the specs on the new Pro version?

As I have never before had an issue, I have no intention of changing components; I am just curious
It stands for 'switching' as in a 'Switching mode voltage regulator' rather than the old and crappy linear mode regulator found in older/cheaper ESC's.

I wont go into the boring detail but suffice to say switching mode regulators run much cooler and in general can cope with higher input voltage and higher output current. Google will tell you how Switching mode regulators work.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,162 Posts
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Yes but the new Q45 pro is totally different, it has an SBEC which has more power than the internal bec of the older Q45. Plus he is asking HS65MG which are analog.... so you should be totally fine! even if you go with 5065s they will be fine with the new Q45 Pro
When I had my brownout with digital servos, I was using a warranty replacement ESC from April last year (2011). I was told it was a new version. It has a green heat sink on it. Do you think the internal BEC in that unit should hold up to 4 digital servos? In my case, it did not.

Sub
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,162 Posts
Your logic is understandable, but I feel your experience with the ESC it certainly not "typical," as there are hundreds of others that have had no issues with the internal BEC...

I have followed most the threads over the last few years and typical problems have been with servos, far fewer persons (I dont recall any- but then again I am all hopped up on pain killers from surgery) have ever complained of the internal BEC failing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:35 PM
Team Hitec, Team PA
United States, IN, Winamac
Joined Jan 2006
90 Posts
Sub,

I agree with bsbauman's comments. I am however, concerned that you have an underlying problem that may manifest itself again.

If your ESC is from April 2011 then it should be the new version with the SBEC.

Regards,

Jim
Team PA, Team Hitec
zemkes_wolfpack is offline Find More Posts by zemkes_wolfpack