HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:36 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,769 Posts
Today was the maiden flight of the PA Ultimate AMR. It almost made a mockery of my meagre skills, because even on low rates it is sensitive on pitch and roll! But what a treat to fly once I forced myself to be smooth on the sticks! I especially like how slow it can go without stalling. The first landing approach was me thinking "ummmm.... so when are you going to come down?"

The plane is almost 100g overweight - AUW with battery is 1184g. I will have to do some liposuction, but at most I expect to lose 20g of weight .

Just for fun I threw in a couple of flat spins and a KE spin too. RIDICULOUS!

I'm in a slow trimming process, so most of tomorrow is likely to be spent still trimming and dialing in mixes. I'm already hating the battery tray. But the rest of the plane more than makes up for it.

Here's a short and crappy maiden vid. Boring bits cut out. Check out the slow landing! There was a small breeze, but still...

PA Ultimate AMR Quick Maiden (1 min 9 sec)
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:06 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Hahaha nice! Yep the AMR is Ultimate!!!
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
nice in deed
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of guys speaking English in Singapore????
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
I
'm already hating the battery tray.

I'm already hating the battery tray.

After a few flights your hands just go to the right place and you'll find it becomes a lot easier to put the batt in. This is still my fav plane.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Sounds like a bunch of guys speaking English in Singapore????
You mean, was this in Singapore? Yup!

Or did you mean, you're surprised that people speak English in Singapore? It's actually mostly English around here .
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
you're surprised that people speak English in Singapore? It's actually mostly English around here .

Yeah that's it. Interesting. I did not know....
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:36 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,769 Posts
Got 5 more packs in this morning. It was dead calm and stuffy as heck but managed to get her all trimmed out, except for the extreme edges of rudder travel which still need more work. Thank goodness for 5 point mixing curves.

I am slowly getting used to her. I like how solid she is in an upright harrier. There is some mild wing rock at 40-50deg, but pretty mild unless I dumb thumb it.

She climbs very slightly when inverted with the cg at about 55mm. I will have to shuffle the esc around to get the cg a bit more forward.

KE spins are so easy on this thing. Like it was built and designed for the sole purpose of spinning on its side! Start with waterfalls, goose the rudder and it tips over and SPINS with that awesome growl!

Roll rate is still insane. Have to tone it down a bit. It doesn't roll so much as spin like a drill!

I shed a mere 7g on Saturday night so will get to more shedding over next week.

Still hate the battery lol.

Oh, one more thing. The aileron tape on the lower wing is coming off . I'm thinking of just cutting that loose corner out and taping a fresh piece of transparent tape on that bit. Will that work? Anyone else had loose aileron tape nearly out of the box?

Off topic: dead, out of curiosity, what did you think we speak here? The local slang is unique. It's a hodgepodge of English Mandarin Chinese dialect and Malay
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:08 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
I assumed it was some form of Hindi or Chinese..... I don't know... But I do now!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
She climbs very slightly when inverted with the cg at about 55mm. I will have to shuffle the esc around to get the cg a bit more forward.
I ended up with the CG at 48-49mm for hands-off inverted.. That's a full 10mm in front of the position advised in the manual. That may take the edge of the overly sensitive pitch response too.

Mine AMR laid up at the moment at one of the l/g legs started to de-laminate at the bend so I'm waiting for spares (UK stockist is out of stock again)
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:32 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I Mine AMR laid up at the moment at one of the l/g legs started to de-laminate at the bend so I'm waiting for spares (UK stockist is out of stock again)
I cracked the leg on my Addiction X. I got some carbon tow (it's like ribbon) roughed up the leg with sand paper, wrapped the tow around it and soaked it in CA. It's held up great and will get you out of trouble until spares arrive.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:37 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Mine AMR laid up at the moment at one of the l/g legs started to de-laminate at the bend so I'm waiting for spares (UK stockist is out of stock again)
Mine started doing that and I hit with some CA before it got real bad and it's holding fine. That may work temporarily for you if it's not to bad.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:13 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,769 Posts
Quote:
I ended up with the CG at 48-49mm for hands-off inverted.. That's a full 10mm in front of the position advised in the manual. That may take the edge of the overly sensitive pitch response too.

Cheers JetPlaneFlyer. I will move the CG up another 5mm... somehow. The pitchiness is really getting to me. The flat spins are sooooo flat, though! Like the big boys, except mine fits in the car without disassembly .
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Mine started doing that and I hit with some CA before it got real bad and it's holding fine. That may work temporarily for you if it's not to bad.
i was thinking about trying that so good to hear that it does work, the de-lamination is very minor so fingers crossed it might do the trick.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
i was thinking about trying that so good to hear that it does work, the de-lamination is very minor so fingers crossed it might do the trick.
Yeah it should hold it until you can replace it. Or maybe you won't have to
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1