SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,883 Posts
Well, this is certainly an interesting build. It's my second balsa build ever, so I'm going really slowly. Got the motor mount done as per PA recommendation - glassed the back, thinned epoxy on all joints, glued it in.

I'm having a little bit more difficulty with the cowling, though. After three evenings after work worth of fiddling, I can't for the life of me get the white stripes to align on both sides at the same time. It is driving me insane. I've moved in forwards, backwards, in, out, on every axis I can think of!

Does anyone have any tips which might help for this airframe?
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,881 Posts
You may not be able to get them to line up. Sometimes they just don't....

The way to install a cowling however is this:

Take painters tape and place a piece on each side of the fuse lengthwise so that it starts several inches behind the firewall and goes forward and hangs off the front end of the cowl. Make sure that it covers the mounting tab that is designed to accept the cowl mounting screws. You may need two pieces per side in order to cover both tabs.

Take a sharpy and make on dot on the tape right over the middle of each tab. This will be used to show you where to drill through the cowl.

Now peel the tape back away from the front of the fuse but leave it attached at the rear.

Take another piece of tape and lay it on top of the canopy right at the front, top edge of the canopy. Take another piece and double it up to make it thicker. This will create a small gap between the canopy and the cowl after all is said and done.

Now install the canopy.

Now place the cowl into place. It has to sit on top of the tape that is on top of the front edge of the canopy.

Now install your spinner. It is not necessary to install the propeller but the spinner must be installed nice and tight so that it is in its final position.

Now move the cowl around so that the white lines line up as best they can. If they will not line up on both sides, then make sure they are both "Off" the same on both sides. Make sure that the cowl is perfectly in line with the spinner. Make sure the cowl is as close to the back of the spinner as you can get it without allowing them to touch. 1/16" to 1/8" is ideal.

Now carefully pull the tape from the sides of the fuse forward so that it lays down onto the cowl. Make sure everything is still lined up.

Now drill your holes through the marks on the tape and into the mounting tabs.

Now remove all tape and install cowl with screws!

I know how some great build videos of other brands you can watch. They will teach you a bunch of these tricks that can be used to build any ARF. PM me if you want the links!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:42 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,883 Posts
Thanks dead, I wish there was a way to save individual posts, I had to bookmark that! Very helpful was the doubled tape on top of the canopy at the front. I haven't seen that tip before and in hindsight it is such an obvious thing to do. PA's instructions say "Press down on the top rear of the cowl to minimize the gap between the hatch and the cowl." and I'm glad I didn't do that exactly because I'd have had trouble fitting the canopy in and out in future!

I've been looking at IPSmotors' 3DHS stuff build videos, which have been invaluable in teaching me some tricks for balsa ARF building. I still have tons to learn. If I am stuck on a step I usually wait for the weekend and pester some builders at the field . I hope it is not taboo to mention other brands on a PA thread...
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:52 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,881 Posts
Sure thing.

When I want to save a cool post, I will copy it and past it into my blog. If you look at my blog you will find several cool tricks and tips about this hobby. Most of them are copied from others.

I tend to try not to mention other brands myself just out of courtesy....

I am sending PM now....
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,881 Posts
Hmmm

It looks like your settings do not allow me to PM you. PM me if you like. Or email. I think you can email me from my blog???
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:20 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,883 Posts
Hey Dead. I tried e-mailing you... but I have no idea if it worked because there's no notification.

To all on the thread: terribly sorry for the off topic...
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Hey Dead. I tried e-mailing you... but I have no idea if it worked because there's no notification.

To all on the thread: terribly sorry for the off topic...
I wouldn't say you were OT atr all.you asked a q regarding the AMR,and mentioning a build tip from another vendor's build vid isn't a crime IMO,you didn't bash PA,so it's all good I'd say
but PA stays the best
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:23 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,883 Posts
Guys, my servos have arrived. I am now in possession of the following servos:

Turnigy TGY-S306G
Turnigy TGY-210DMH
Corona DS-939MG
PowerHD HD-2213MG
PowerHD HD-1810MG

I'm prepping for testing and will probably make a separate post on the appropriate subforum. Meanwhile, I just wanted to ask: the size of the servo used for the aileron looks like its going to be a problem. These servos all look taller than the wing is thick. Has anyone used any of the servos mentioned above for the ailerons? If so how has it fit?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:35 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,134 Posts
Corona DS-939MG Great Servos. I have used them in my EF Extra 300 EXP and the GP Reactor Bipe.
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:31 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,883 Posts
Flazo: have you tried them for fitment on the pa amr?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,134 Posts
no I don't have the PA AMR but if you read back a good percent use the HS-65mg which is about the same size don't worry just use your exacto and trim it a little...

Fred
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
Corona DS-939MG Great Servos. I have used them in my EF Extra 300 EXP and the GP Reactor Bipe.
You are the first one I have seen to admit using a Corona in an EF. I do that too but I was afraid of people accusing me being cheap a$$. But man, those Corona DS works great! A little over-shut for centering at beginning, but center great after 5 to 6 flight.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Flazo: have you tried them for fitment on the pa amr?
If you are worried about the height of your servos, you can make some spacers/standoffs out off plywood to mount your aileron servos.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:51 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,134 Posts
Vice_TT I'm have been using them for years Already! but on the Elevator ONLY the HS-85MG you can check my blog...

For the price it's much better....also is not worth buying extra gears to change because usually the circuit goes before the gears!

I use the 3Dhobbyshop Servo arms to get more throw : )

fred
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:58 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,384 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is any one using Voltec servos as suggested by PA? Other than price they seem to work fine.

BTW, I'm still only about 1 1/2 hours from finishing the AMR .I just can't seem to find the time to get her done. I WILL have it done by next week though. I do have the addy and I'm happy with the Voltecs so far.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee