HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Dead, JetPlaneFlyer, thanks I did not know that digitals are prone to jitter. Dead you're right, it had not affected flight characteristics, just the tail waggles when it's on the ground. I think I'll just interpret that as eagerness

My "beater" is a hk 1.4m epo sbach, servos will probably fail pretty quickly on the elevator or rudder of that one lol.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:20 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Right, I finally got around to unpacking my bipe with bite and inspecting all surfaces.

Everything seems to be in order, except two things. One, the bag holding the rods and the CF cabanes had torn so I had bits everywhere in the box. No worries I have plenty of stuff in my box'o'spares.

But two, and more seriously, there appears to be crushed balsa in my bottom wing, where the circle lightening holes have been cut out. Is this something I should be concerned about? Check out the pic:



Incidentally, what is that white round stuff? They look like bacteria colonies or something.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
...The HS5065 has it covered in the spec department, but I've had rotten luck with mine, and they are not cheap either...
This leads me to ask a question to everyone following:

What do you all do when you buy a servo and it is either DOA or simply not functioning properly?

a. go buy another servo
b. try to return it to the vendor (either LHS or online)
c. try to return it to the manufacturer
d. try to repair servo yourself


In the above question, I am not talking about Turnigey/ HK servos- but name brand stuff like Futaba, HiTec, Savox, etc. You know, companies with real customer service departments
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
demonGti's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,039 Posts
@ rayonnair: I don't think that little bit of damage is anything to be concerned about.
But try running a warm iron (not too hot that you shrink the film) over the translucent covering, that should get the covering nice and clear again.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:42 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
This leads me to ask a question to everyone following:

What do you all do when you buy a servo and it is either DOA or simply not functioning properly?

a. go buy another servo
b. try to return it to the vendor (either LHS or online)
c. try to return it to the manufacturer
d. try to repair servo yourself


In the above question, I am not talking about Turnigey/ HK servos- but name brand stuff like Futaba, HiTec, Savox, etc. You know, companies with real customer service departments
Go back to the LHS. The ones I've been to locally that I support have been good to me in the past and I don't doubt that they will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
@ rayonnair: I don't think that little bit of damage is anything to be concerned about.
But try running a warm iron (not too hot that you shrink the film) over the translucent covering, that should get the covering nice and clear again.
Thanks man, it doesn't look too bad I just thought I'd check.

I will try the iron... it looks really freaky haha
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:45 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
But two, and more seriously, there appears to be crushed balsa in my bottom wing, where the circle lightening holes have been cut out. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Incidentally, what is that white round stuff? They look like bacteria colonies or something.
Hey Ray, nice to see you are starting a build!

That white stuff on your wings, does it appear to be on the inside of the covering or on the outside? Did you try going over it with some windex?

In regards to the wing, I had to reorder one wing half when I was in the process of rebuilding my Addiction-X, and had a similar experience. As I had just repaired the entire frame, and had to recover the new wing half anyway, I just made the repairs myself.

Mine was not damage to the sheeting, but rather a few ribs were crunched and misaligned. Search for Burned Retina on RCG, pics and repair is in post #25.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Hey Ray, nice to see you are starting a build!

That white stuff on your wings, does it appear to be on the inside of the covering or on the outside? Did you try going over it with some windex?

In regards to the wing, I had to reorder one wing half when I was in the process of rebuilding my Addiction-X, and had a similar experience. As I had just repaired the entire frame, and had to recover the new wing half anyway, I just made the repairs myself.

Mine was not damage to the sheeting, but rather a few ribs were crunched and misaligned. Search for Burned Retina on RCG, pics and repair is in post #25.
Really more like inspecting the goods for issues . It's only my second balsa related build, so a bit nervous with it.

The funny circles are, I think, on the insides. The covering iron on warm didn't help. In fact, as an experiment I cut out one of the aileron servo holes and tried to wipe it out of the insides.... that didn't work either. So I am at a loss. Is it fungus, I wonder? I'm in a tropical place...
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Update! I managed to get rid of the circles. I used a higher heat setting on the covering iron. The problem is... this also shrunk the covering. I think I'm in for some experimentation with the cut outs that I need to do, and fingers crossed I get the settings right before I run out of cut out covering material to experiment on!
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:07 PM
Registered User
Crash Prone's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
I wouldn't iron on that wing too much before assembling the rest of the airframe...
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
This leads me to ask a question to everyone following:

What do you all do when you buy a servo and it is either DOA or simply not functioning properly?

a. go buy another servo
b. try to return it to the vendor (either LHS or online)
c. try to return it to the manufacturer
d. try to repair servo yourself


In the above question, I am not talking about Turnigey/ HK servos- but name brand stuff like Futaba, HiTec, Savox, etc. You know, companies with real customer service departments
For my first two failed HS5065s I returned them and was sent replacements. The remaining failed ones have just gone into the spares box. I don't want any more replacements, and have since been using corona servos with more success. Maybe I can use them for their gear trains in the future.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:14 PM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Prone View Post
I wouldn't iron on that wing too much before assembling the rest of the airframe...
No worries, I wasn't planning to. The amount of heat necessary to get rid of the circles is enough to shrink the covering. I might just leave it be and see whether in regular use anything changes.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:36 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
For my first two failed HS5065s I returned them and was sent replacements. The remaining failed ones have just gone into the spares box. I don't want any more replacements, and have since been using corona servos with more success. Maybe I can use them for their gear trains in the future.
I'd return them even if you don't intend to use the replacements. if people don't return them Hitec are going to get a false impression of how reliable the servos are and are less likely to do something to fix it.

You can always sell the replacements on eBay and get a few $
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:35 AM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Not sure if this is a normal behavior while hover a biplane. While in hover or AoA, mine more often will require slight right rudder to stay aligned. Is this a common thing on this plane. I don't seem to have do this on my other PA planes.

Other than that, I am having a good time with mine. Love the light wing load. I did have to add additional white strips on bottom wing to help with orientation.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Not sure if this is a normal behavior while hover a biplane. While in hover or AoA, mine more often will require slight right rudder to stay aligned. Is this a common thing on this plane. I don't seem to have do this on my other PA planes.

Other than that, I am having a good time with mine. Love the light wing load. I did have to add additional white strips on bottom wing to help with orientation.
Thats a normal behaviour on any plane, but once you find the sweet spot usually every plane will stay in a hover / torque roll with minimium inputs, although usually finding that spot is only easy when doing torque rolls, in hover its a bit harder!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
i'll keep that in mind. the additional rudder input was something that just stand out on this model for some reason. maybe it was just me.

regardless...this one is of the most fun, easy aerobatic 3d bi planes I've flown since starting flying rc plane. looking to add a back-up to the hangar just in case
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GP Ultimate Biplane conversion SoarNeck Sport Planes 14 Dec 28, 2008 10:11 PM
Simple Series Ultimate Biplane exowatt Sport Planes 4 Jul 09, 2002 10:35 AM
Ultimate Biplane Templates for Foam Construction Here hoppy Sport Planes 8 Mar 17, 2002 09:34 PM
ULTIMATE BIPLANE - Another Meat Tray (Depron) Project. hoppy Foamies (Kits) 65 Jan 10, 2002 01:51 PM
Ultimate Biplane Colourschemes Armin Mangelmann Scale Kit/Scratch Built 9 Dec 08, 2001 09:03 PM