HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Sorry I know this must be a very stupid question, but what's the "Ad-X"?

Also, do those profile foamies typically make better trainers than a more "real"-looking plane like the Dynam Pitts/Su-26/Sbach?

Kevin

Ad-X was short for Addiction-X, another plane designed by PA. The X is a larger version.

Yes, ANY profile plane on the market will 3d and hover better than anything offered by Dynam, and a profile will be better than most scale aircraft as well.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Any servo recommendations that are not Voltecs? Currently I have in mind Corona 939MGs, Hitec 5065MGs, or Turnigy TGY-306G. Leaning on the Turnigy servo, they seem to be pretty decent, I own a few of them, and pretty zippy too... but they're heaaaaaavy. Poo to weight. Maybe I'll just have 1 on the elevator...
Ive just started trying to get away from Turnigy servo's ive used lots various ones in different planes without any issues but seem to be having problems with them in both my PA Extra 260 and the Ultimate, 3 have failed in the past few weeks ive just swapped to 5065 MG's in the 260 and the difference is amazing, they are so much better. I wont be flying the Ultimate until Ive changed the turnigy's to 5065's. The latest failures were http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_11_5g.html
and these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...05sec_16g.html
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
addition-x is great but the electronics run on her are pricey in Taiwan.

I will stay away from the scale planes you mentioned, those are nice sporty planes and will do 3D in good hands, but not for 3D training purpose. If you don't like to look of a profile, try Skywing's product, it has a scale 48" EPP edge for under $100. and you cannot go wrong with Edge!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Addiction or the addiction x are so easy to learn 3d , but I must admit having a profile plane makes the learning experience so much easier and more fun.
Check out hercdrivers videos of the twisted hobbies crack yak . I know u mentioned you can't get twisted hobbies planes, but don't be put off by the looks of a profile plane , what they lack in looks , they make up in pure fun IMHO
saffa365 is offline Find More Posts by saffa365
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
[QUOTE=Simon2504;23129109]Ive just started trying to get away from Turnigy servo's ive used lots various ones in different planes without any issues but seem to be having problems with them in both my PA Extra 260 and the Ultimate, 3 have failed in the past few weeks ive just swapped to 5065 MG's in the 260 and the difference is amazing, they are so much better. I wont be flying the Ultimate until Ive changed the turnigy's to 5065's. QUOTE]

Thatís funny, I have had almost the reverse experience as you. Iíve had 10 HS5065s in three batches and had four of them fail in a short time. No crashes, the servo just wonít respond. I have not used the turnigy servos you have, but have used lots of the corona digital 939MGs that rayonnair mentioned. Iíve found them to be about the same speed as the 5065s (as near as I can tell side by side), but stronger on 6V. I did have one 939MG failure after 45 flights with a worn pot, but I consider that an outlier. I have a hundred + flights on my others. Iím never buying another 5065.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
addition-x is great but the electronics run on her are pricey in Taiwan.

I will stay away from the scale planes you mentioned, those are nice sporty planes and will do 3D in good hands, but not for 3D training purpose. If you don't like to look of a profile, try Skywing's product, it has a scale 48" EPP edge for under $100. and you cannot go wrong with Edge!
Tks to all the great advice here, and after some exhausting research (which is part of the fun of this hobby!), I think I've found my trainer 3D plane - going with one of the 48" EPP planes from Skywing, which sell for the same price in Taiwan as elsewhere - around US$80. Also I happen to have some Turnigy Plush 60A ESCs and Turnigy 35-36C/1100 KV motors sitting around, as well as the necessary props, so the only additional things I need to get are four metal gear servos. All in, the whole thing will cost me only around $100, shipping included.

In Taiwan, looks like I have three choices for the 48" category - Yak, Sbach or Extra. Is any one of these more/less suitable for beginner 3D?

Tks again!

Kevin
kchen95 is offline Find More Posts by kchen95
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Thanks for the responses on the servos, guys.

Because I'm feeling uncertain I have bought a couple each of all of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23459
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22687
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10346
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6340
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6341

I will fiddle around with them in a servo tester and we will see how they go.

I'm not so sure about the HS 5065MGs. The one on the elevator of my 3DHS 47" extra has been jittering .
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
I have the 48" EPP Extra, which is a sweet flyer with no bad habit. I think that Yak is a bit tougher to (I have 2 EPP Yak and had 1 Balsa-RIP) for beginner. And I love the look of a Sbach. So, for me it's between Extra and Sbach.

Also, 3536 might be on the small side to these airframe. 3542 800~900KV, 2200 30c+ and APC 14x7 will be the sweet spot for these 48". There are tons of info for these birds in the 3D foamie section.

Good luck!

Lost power at home due to the Hurricane Sandy, so coming to the office where nobody is around! perfect timing for surfing on the RCG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Tks to all the great advice here, and after some exhausting research (which is part of the fun of this hobby!), I think I've found my trainer 3D plane - going with one of the 48" EPP planes from Skywing, which sell for the same price in Taiwan as elsewhere - around US$80. Also I happen to have some Turnigy Plush 60A ESCs and Turnigy 35-36C/1100 KV motors sitting around, as well as the necessary props, so the only additional things I need to get are four metal gear servos. All in, the whole thing will cost me only around $100, shipping included.

In Taiwan, looks like I have three choices for the 48" category - Yak, Sbach or Extra. Is any one of these more/less suitable for beginner 3D?

Tks again!

Kevin
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the responses on the servos, guys.

Because I'm feeling uncertain I have bought a couple each of all of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23459
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22687
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10346
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6340
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6341

I will fiddle around with them in a servo tester and we will see how they go.

I'm not so sure about the HS 5065MGs. The one on the elevator of my 3DHS 47" extra has been jittering .
Interested to see your test result of the TGY servos. I have some corona MGs, some have centering issue but mostly work well. I am doubtful on the specs of the last two servos. That's the similar performance of a 85MG but in micro size. Please let me know your first hand experience with them!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Interested to see your test result of the TGY servos. I have some corona MGs, some have centering issue but mostly work well. I am doubtful on the specs of the last two servos. That's the similar performance of a 85MG but in micro size. Please let me know your first hand experience with them!
Roger wilco.

As I understand it, though, the servo tester can only tell you so much - centering, potential jitter issues, throw. I have no idea how the servos would behave under load. Any suggestions on how to "push" them, so to speak, consistently? I've gotten a whole bunch so it would seem prudent to try and do some documented consistent testing with them if at all possible.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Roger wilco.

As I understand it, though, the servo tester can only tell you so much - centering, potential jitter issues, throw. I have no idea how the servos would behave under load. Any suggestions on how to "push" them, so to speak, consistently? I've gotten a whole bunch so it would seem prudent to try and do some documented consistent testing with them if at all possible.
I have seen somewhere that people use a fish scale to test servo's torque rating. Other than that, you might need to risk your beater planes for the benefits of our curiosity! I use my TechOne Yak and FMS F6F as my testing beds, but only use proven products in my balsa. Good luck!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,745 Posts
Quote:

It is common for digital servos to jitter when centered. SOme people take a piece of the soft side of velcro and tape it to the non moving part of the wing or stab where the control serface moves up and down past the fixed part. As the control surface moves towards center it rubs slightly against the velcro and this gives the servo something to "grab onto" and it won't jitter. Also, if you have a Hitec servo program you should set the dead band to 1. This helps stop jitter as well.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
It is common for digital servos to jitter when centered.
+1.. most digitals do it. It's to do with the precise centring, the jitter back and forth trying to find the perfect centre position. The velcro trick works good to add a little damping to calm the jitters down.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,745 Posts
Also, it won't jitter when in the air
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Roger wilco.

Very keen to hear about your results when you do test them. I think a digital servo around the HS65 size and 3kg torque is pretty sought after in RC at the moment. The HS5065 has it covered in the spec department, but I've had rotten luck with mine, and they are not cheap either. I've tried the digital corona 929MG and had good results, but an early failure at 40 flights (worn pot) has me a little wary, thogh I've had much better service with older ones.

Anyway, keep us posted!

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic