HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:21 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post

Towards that end, I want to buy a much cheaper trainer 3D plane to learn from, before executing any maneuvers on this expensive plane. So, any suggestions for a cheap 3D trainer plane? Right now I'm considering the Techone Venus and the Freewing Ultimate, but I'm not sure if Freewing Ultimate really can 3D (hovering is what I'm most interested in)? I'm certainly not wedded to these two planes, and would be open to other suggestions.

Tks again!

Kevin
I pretty much did the same as you and decided to buy the Hobbyking Galaxy to learn with first, its so easy to 3D and its super cheap!!! I did have to but a gyro on it to stop it getting blown away by the wind though
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
Registered User
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
726 Posts
Sorry I should have specified - I'm in Asia (Taipei), so unfortunately Twisted Hobby really isn't a possiblity even though I know their planes are of great quality. I'm tempted to go with one of the Hobbyking planes but I also don't want to put too much time into building this cheap foamy. This is why I'm leaning towards the Techone Venus, which comes in PNP and is carried by several LHS here for around US$120.

Kevin
kchen95 is online now Find More Posts by kchen95
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Sorry I should have specified - I'm in Asia (Taipei), so unfortunately Twisted Hobby really isn't a possiblity even though I know their planes are of great quality. I'm tempted to go with one of the Hobbyking planes but I also don't want to put too much time into building this cheap foamy. This is why I'm leaning towards the Techone Venus, which comes in PNP and is carried by several LHS here for around US$120.

Kevin
What about this? It comes out soon and parts are cheap. So flying low won't be an issue. I know it's not a bipe and it's foam but it looks pretty impressive and has made my must have list. It will fly closer to balsa than an EPP. Watch the video before you say no way Should be available to you over there right?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-EFL6250
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
Registered User
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
What about this? It comes out soon and parts are cheap. So flying low won't be an issue. I know it's not a bipe and it's foam but it looks pretty impressive and has made my must have list. It will fly closer to balsa than an EPP. Watch the video before you say no way Should be available to you over there right?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-EFL6250
Yeah that looks good! Amazing, E-flite planes are much more expensive in Taiwan than in the US even though the planes are manufactured next door in China. The reason is, instead of having the products come directly from China to Taiwan, Horizon Hobby needs to ship them to US first - because they're supposed to be US products even though the whole world knows they come from China - and then ship back across the ocean to Taiwan. I estimate this will cost $200+ here when it comes out!

Kevin
kchen95 is online now Find More Posts by kchen95
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Yeah that looks good! Amazing, E-flite planes are much more expensive in Taiwan than in the US even though the planes are manufactured next door in China. The reason is, instead of having the products come directly from China to Taiwan, Horizon Hobby needs to ship them to US first - because they're supposed to be US products even though the whole world knows they come from China - and then ship back across the ocean to Taiwan. I estimate this will cost $200+ here when it comes out!

Kevin
Wow that's pretty crazy!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Last edited by FlyWW1; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Sorry I should have specified - I'm in Asia (Taipei), so unfortunately Twisted Hobby really isn't a possiblity even though I know their planes are of great quality. I'm tempted to go with one of the Hobbyking planes but I also don't want to put too much time into building this cheap foamy. This is why I'm leaning towards the Techone Venus, which comes in PNP and is carried by several LHS here for around US$120.

Kevin
As for 3D trainer, I would choose EPP over EPO. You can order TechOne Yak 55 from Hobbyking shipping out of Hongkong. HK also has Hummer that looks like a clone from Hacker's model with surprisingly low price tag. Any 480 size motor, 40A ESC, cheapo MG servos, 1500~1600 3s batteries will work magically on these two birds. Anything less than 40" in wingspan will not work well in the windy situation in Taipei. After you get used to these profile planes, you can go bestvaluerc.com (hongkong) for Skywing full fuse model which would be great for transition into Balsa model. Enjoy!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Last edited by Vince_TT; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Mr Kamikaze's Avatar
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
What about this? It comes out soon and parts are cheap. So flying low won't be an issue. I know it's not a bipe and it's foam but it looks pretty impressive and has made my must have list. It will fly closer to balsa than an EPP. Watch the video before you say no way Should be available to you over there right?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-EFL6250
I would be careful of buying this as a 3 plane. All of that stuff it does in the video is done pretty fast and looks edgey (as in not too easy). And if that's with a pilot like Quique on the sticks the average person will really struggle.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
I would be careful of buying this as a 3 plane. All of that stuff it does in the video is done pretty fast and looks edgey (as in not too easy). And if that's with a pilot like Quique on the sticks the average person will really struggle.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I thought so too at first glance. Watch the vid a couple of times. There's nothing extreme going on there. Especially for the average 3D pilot. Just on a smaller scale. The pilot in the video is developer Colton Clark even though they show QQ in the video.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,209 Posts
yep not Quique flying it.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
Proudly South African
saffa365's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
I would also , stay away from this plane if you are wanting to learn 3d . I would go for a profile plane instead . IMHO
Just my 2 cents
saffa365 is offline Find More Posts by saffa365
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:14 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
The Addy is the best starter 3d plane IMO
but EPP would be tter for the inevitable.... I have an HK EPP extra300 and it's not bad at all.its really taken a beating and flies pretty well.
But I'd say the Skywing planes from bestvaluerc,is the best in EPP and can really take a beating.and at 48" they handle wind better,and are far more stable when learning 3d than a smaller and lighter plane.all the Horizon planes are cool,but are super small ans you really have to be on your whits...I have seen a few good pilots struggle really hard with them,and since it's so small,the slightest wind and they become a nightmare....that's my $0.02
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,280 Posts
If you dont want to train on the Ad-X, get a profile foamie like the crack yak or a fancy foam..

But none are as great a 3d trainer as the Ad-X... so it is kinda moving backwards IMO
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,806 Posts
Hullo ladies and gents. Been lurking here for a while as I contemplated getting this bird. After a brief saga involving a disinterested LHS, a seemingly equally disinterested PA, an intrepid dealer just across the border and a last minute work assignment across said border, a green AMR now sits in a box in my hotel room.

The build will probably take me a month or so in my free time. Any servo recommendations that are not Voltecs? Currently I have in mind Corona 939MGs, Hitec 5065MGs, or Turnigy TGY-306G. Leaning on the Turnigy servo, they seem to be pretty decent, I own a few of them, and pretty zippy too... but they're heaaaaaavy. Poo to weight. Maybe I'll just have 1 on the elevator...
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
Registered User
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
If you dont want to train on the Ad-X, get a profile foamie like the crack yak or a fancy foam..

But none are as great a 3d trainer as the Ad-X... so it is kinda moving backwards IMO
Sorry I know this must be a very stupid question, but what's the "Ad-X"?

Also, do those profile foamies typically make better trainers than a more "real"-looking plane like the Dynam Pitts/Su-26/Sbach?

Kevin
kchen95 is online now Find More Posts by kchen95
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Sorry I know this must be a very stupid question, but what's the "Ad-X"?

Also, do those profile foamies typically make better trainers than a more "real"-looking plane like the Dynam Pitts/Su-26/Sbach?

Kevin
I believe they're talking about the addiction x.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GP Ultimate Biplane conversion SoarNeck Sport Planes 14 Dec 28, 2008 09:11 PM
Simple Series Ultimate Biplane exowatt Sport Planes 4 Jul 09, 2002 09:35 AM
Ultimate Biplane Templates for Foam Construction Here hoppy Sport Planes 8 Mar 17, 2002 08:34 PM
ULTIMATE BIPLANE - Another Meat Tray (Depron) Project. hoppy Foamies (Kits) 65 Jan 10, 2002 12:51 PM
Ultimate Biplane Colourschemes Armin Mangelmann Scale Kit/Scratch Built 9 Dec 08, 2001 08:03 PM