2,253 Posts
Looking good.btw blue AMR's are the nicest
chop stiX is online now Find More Posts by chop stiX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:53 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
723 Posts
BTW I just found that my 3S 3300MAH lipos fit easily because they're very flat. Obviously the extra weight won't be good for 3D flying, but if I'm just going to do some sport flying, is there any reason not to use these bigger batteries? With these batteries I can probably push the CG as far forward as 44-45mm, which I assume will eliminate a lot of the downtrim and make inverted flight slightly nosedown, which to me is more "normal" from my warbird days

Has anyone flown with bigger/heavier batteries like the 3300MAH ones? If so, what's the verdict? Tks!

Kevin
kchen95 is offline Find More Posts by kchen95
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
I have not gone all the way to 3300mAh...

But I have tried up to 2650s and thought the AMR handles the weight well. IMO it just gave it more weight and momentum to throw around in tumbles- not a bad thing...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Kevin, what a coincidence. I lived in Conshohocken/Plymouth Mtg areas for 6 years, live in South Jersey now and still work in Philly. Can you fly RC at Valley Forge Park? That would be so nice if is allowed.

My brother still lives in Taipei, he has downsized his fleet to micro electric only due to no time and space to fly. It's funny to see him flying micros with a JR 12ch TX, which costs $1,500+ there. He talked me into the Pitts/bipes and I got hooked. But I am always interested in the AMR. I might visit Taipei next spring. Would love to see the flying field you mentioned.

I have tried to add some washouts on the upper wings in my bipes that helped the post stall transaction, since the wing loads on bipe are light so they are still very floaty with the adjustment. In your case, it may keep the nose down at inverted. Anyhow I removed the washout for better axial rolls. Also I found bigger batteries did not increase my flight time at all but affect my slow moves, besides, bipe can do much more violent tumbles than mono-planes already. The extra weight may help in windy days but I will bring my mono- 48" and up for high wind anyway. Post some video of you flying in Taipei! Really miss there.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Has anyone flown with bigger/heavier batteries like the 3300MAH ones? If so, what's the verdict? Tks!

Kevin
Kevin,

I used a 3000mAh battery in mine a few times and it flew fine. Not so good for the slow floaty 3D that the AMR excels at but for general sport flying and higher energy aerobatics it was fine.

The added weight may make the plane a bit more vulnerable to damage in slightly heavy arrivals etc but I didn't have any issues in the few flights I had.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:06 AM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
larger wheels

Hey guys

My poor AMR has been sat on the wall for weeks , the field i fly in doesnt have the best quality turf , i can land the addiction with no problems , but heavier aircraft like the extra 260 and the AMR dont usally fair very well , im tired of broken cf landing gear.
So i thought maybe some larger wheels might just take the edge off. The Pa planes currently have 46mm diameter wheels , so ive ordered thease 60mm wheels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1905275955...84.m1497.l2649

any thoughts?

thanks in advance
saffa365 is offline Find More Posts by saffa365
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffa365 View Post
Hey guys

My poor AMR has been sat on the wall for weeks , the field i fly in doesnt have the best quality turf , i can land the addiction with no problems , but heavier aircraft like the extra 260 and the AMR dont usally fair very well , im tired of broken cf landing gear.
So i thought maybe some larger wheels might just take the edge off. The Pa planes currently have 46mm diameter wheels , so ive ordered thease 60mm wheels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1905275955...84.m1497.l2649

any thoughts?

thanks in advance
That SHOULD help. I switched mine out with the wheels off a New Model Fury. They are about the same size in diameter, but they are a 3 times wider. Man what a difference.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffa365 View Post
Hey guys

any thoughts?

thanks in advance
I was having the same problems. So I put 55mm wheels on and put 2 small washers under the back screws of the gear on each side. This raked the gear forward just a couple of mm's but man what a difference! Lands like a dream now and could even do touch n goes if I wanted.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:27 AM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Lets hope so , i probably should have changed them long ago.
the problem is the ground is pretty soft so the wheels catch every time . the addiction is much lighter and has no probs.
I dont think there is much difference in weight( wheels) ? but i must admit i probably wouldnt notice any difference in flying characteristics , only been flying for a year
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
You won't notice a thing!

Although if it is sandy conditions that is the problem these wheels won't help much. You need fat tires.... But then you won't be able to use the wheel pants very easily. I gave up on the wheel pants and went with fatties...
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,253 Posts
Hover catch will solve all your problems
chop stiX is online now Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
If you can live without pants , consider the smaller air tires from Dubro. It was the perfect solution to my overweight, lead-filled Addiction-X.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
If I could hover this beauty , believe me I wouldn't even bother with lg.
Hopefully someday soon.

Thanks for all the input guys , really appreciated
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Only if you got good health insurance to pay for all those stiches!
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Name: 020.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 317.5 KB
Description:

These wheels work on mine.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus