SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Can't wait to hear your flight report?

Did you go with the recommended motor ? I going to try an omega 130 that I have from a yak I had.. It's a 500 watt motor with a 14x7 so I think it should work fine. Not positive but I think that's what they recommend. Now I'll have to go look again... I'll be using the hacker 55 esc that I have also.
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
Yeah I used the recommended motor. I had an Omega 130 I just sold, I was worried about having to drill new holes and weakening the motor box. Should maiden it tomorrow if I have time.

Mixes....anyone using the rudder-aileron, rudder-elevator mixes? They don't seem to be much so I'm wondering if you really need them.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
What will happen if ....Oh....
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
That's tight but doable is that stock without the mod? Is that a 2200 batt?
Yes that is stock form with a 2200 mAh batt. I have a layer of velcro on the tray and on the battery as well which makes it a little tighter too. It is a little fiddly but I haven't felt the need to do any fuselage mods.

Kuczy, looks awesome! And yes the control mixes are essential to get the KE straight.
OSOFAM is offline Find More Posts by OSOFAM
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOFAM View Post
Yes that is stock form with a 2200 mAh batt. I have a layer of velcro on the tray and on the battery as well which makes it a little tighter too. It is a little fiddly but I haven't felt the need to do any fuselage mods.

Kuczy, looks awesome! And yes the control mixes are essential to get the KE straight.
Cool then I'm not going to worry about that mod... Thanks agian that really showed what it's really like without having the plane.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
Okay I'll keep the mixes. I have one more question on the mixes. So the pic shows the Rudder/Aileron mix as +9 each way. That makes the ailerons deflect the same way with left and right rudder. Shouldn't they deflect opposite as I move from left to right??
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
That sounds right. Here is my Rudder-Aile mix. There has been some discussion on mixing and errors in the manual. Look back at around post #5676

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
I believe the manual calls for 9% rudder to opposite aileron mix
(rudder right, left aileron up. rudder left, right aileron up)

and 7% rudder to elevator mix
(on left and right rudder elevator moves up)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, PA, Wrightsville
Joined Nov 2002
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Mine came and it looks pretty good, but no manual included.....
Holy rip you are completed already
Way to go. I'm about 60% and getting ready to hit the road on business but taking it along to Chicago to finish it up. i really hope the good people at Hampton don't mind a drip or two of CA on the desk in the room.
The cowl was a bit of a challenge but i did get it located with .030" clearance. This is a real sweet plane for sure

Keep us posted on your maiden.
Crgabel is offline Find More Posts by Crgabel
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
Yeah my cowl was a PIA too. The rest was pretty straight forward.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, PA, Wrightsville
Joined Nov 2002
267 Posts
Kuzcy,
Where did you pick up the PA decals on the Cowl and Elevator?
Crgabel is offline Find More Posts by Crgabel
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:57 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,586 Posts
For KE mix on the AMR aileron should move opposite to rudder, so left rudder gives right aileron and right rudder gives left aileron. This is a negative mix in both directions on a Spektrum Tx, Futaba may be different?. The screen shot posted above is (i think) incorrect because it has positive in one direction and negative in the other, both should have the same (+ or -) sign, though the actual value may vary by a % or two. I find that 9% is far too much, 2 or 3% is more like it.

The elevator mix in the manual is in the wrong direction, you need up elevator with rudder not down as stated in the manual. This means setting a positive mix in one directions and negative in the other, check that the elevator moves up with both left and right rudder. I found that I needed 18% up mix.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
You are correct, left rudder gives right aileron up and right rudder gives left aileron up, and both rudder positions give up elevator. This is the mix you are trying to achieve.

BUT, it is definately a valid screen shot. I checked on the monitor before I posted it and just checked physically with the model. The center line (on 3) is the rudder and if it goes left, the result is the right aileron goes up +9 degrees. and if it goes right, the right the right aileron goes down -9 degrees. It is strange because it is different to the screen shot in the manual which is on the same radio.

Probably the best thing to do is understand what we are trying to achieve here, and then program your radio accordingly.

I have used the manual suggested 9 degrees opposite aileron and 7 degrees up elevator and it works for me, but you should feel free to adjust to your setup and basically get the model to do a nice straight KE with only rudder input. And it will do this very well. The AMR is a KE king when its sorted.
Last edited by OSOFAM; Jul 02, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,586 Posts
It sure sounds like your ailerons are moving in the appropriate direction..
Futaba must use different (and rather confusing) teminology when dealing with mixes. On Spektrum if you want a negative mix (i.e. ailerons move opposite to rudder) you use negative mix %... Futaba obviously have a different approach.

The screen shot in the manual must be wrong then?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crgabel View Post
Kuzcy,
Where did you pick up the PA decals on the Cowl and Elevator?
PA had a decal sheet listed on their site. I just threw it on the order.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
Flew it! She flies great. I have to figure out these coupling mixes on my JR. The settings in the manual were not enough. I'm going to be somewhere between 17-30 on the elevator. I think the ailerons were pretty close. She just kept going inside on the KEs. Other than that it was fun. It'll tumble like mad on highs, but landings are a breeze. Can't wait to get back out.

Battery changes are really a non issue on mine. If you push the canopy over the cowl at a 30-45* angle then lay it flat and pull it back it snaps in every time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Flew it! She flies great. I have to figure out these coupling mixes on my JR. The settings in the manual were not enough. I'm going to be somewhere between 17-30 on the elevator. I think the ailerons were pretty close. She just kept going inside on the KEs. Other than that it was fun. It'll tumble like mad on highs, but landings are a breeze. Can't wait to get back out.

Battery changes are really a non issue on mine. If you push the canopy over the cowl at a 30-45* angle then lay it flat and pull it back it snaps in every time.
Sounds fun Thanks for letting us know how it went!! I can't wait