HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:27 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Well thanks guys. I no 3D flyer I just like to do some acrobatics and sport fly. I'll mix in some blenders, KEs and KE spins but, that's about it. Glad to see my Gens will fit and I've been reading about the glassing. Not too big of a deal.
Funny you say get the yellow because it's my least favorite. It'll be between the blue and green and I'll add some stripes or something to the bottom if I do indeed get it. I've been begging John Redman for a .25 size Beast for about a year and haven't seen or heard anything and I'm tired of waiting so If I get paid for my Deuces Wild tomorrow I'll be ordering one buy the end of the week.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:38 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,066 Posts
Yellow is by far easiest to see. I would say green is next. I have a red one which is hard to see. I turned the white strips at the tips on the under side into one large white stripe. That helps a lot.

Actually the grassing is pretty easy. Changing the formers for lipo access is muchore of a pain but way worth it!

If you get it, you may find yourself doing more 3D! It harriers and does slow 3D while you take a nap and then it will KE spin and tumble like a wild animal!!! Then it slows down to a crawl for landing (again while you take a nap).
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
So is the stock T40 motor the best choice? I saw some were going with HK motors but, don't know if I want to go that route.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:44 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
So is the stock T40 motor the best choice? I saw some were going with HK motors but, don't know if I want to go that route.
The Thrust 40 fits perfectly and has plenty of power for this plane.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:49 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Well I have the blue one and I don't battle with vis.but then again I'm 24,so my eyes are still pretty sharp(no offense to the older and better pilots here) I think the green looks killer and would have the best vis.
I have an HK motor on mine with a Plush 40A esc on a 13x6.5 VOX and there is PLENTY power
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:10 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,131 Posts
The Hacker A30-14L is also a great motor for the AMR and fits without any modification. By all account the Thrust 40 is really good motor but here in the UK it's so overpriced (especially by the time you include a prop adaptor) that I refuse to go there.

If you were to go with HK then the SK3 3542-800kv looks to be a good bet: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html This will also drop straight in. I've got an SK3, quality and finish is genuinly is top notch, as good as any of the premium brands. Rumour has it that they are made alongside Hackers.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:31 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
guys correction i dont have an HK motor.here are the specs of my motor.
Steve you would know how much abuse the SK3 can take I've seen what you do to them
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:25 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,131 Posts
Yeah, I did manage to snap an SK3 clean in half.... but that wont be a problem with the front mounted motor installation on the AMR.

The motor you linked to on the face of it looks a bit too high kv for the AMR. Spec says 12" prop on 3s, while most prefer a 14" prop on the AMR.. Possibly with throttle management you would get away with a 13" prop on the 950kv motor?

Steve

PS.. i've also tried the following motors in my AMR:

Extreme Flight Torque 2814T-820 (with 14x7 Xoar) - Very good, similar to Hacker A30-14L and fits without any mods.

E-Max GT2820 -850kv (with 14x7 Xoar) - ok but a little bit down on power compared to the Hacker. Fits without any modification.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:49 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Steve I'm running a VOX 13x6.5 and it's POTENT,really very punchy
and we know by now that the specs are almost never accurate
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Thanks guys! You've been a great help.

Luke
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:47 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Pleasure Luke
but you wont go wrong with the T40.it performs amazingly well.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Apr 2009
66 Posts
Shipping Notice

I recently received notice that mine has shipped and should be here soon. I will take a close look at the motor box because the motor box on my Addiction came apart, destroyed the $21 motor cowl and the motor is lost in a field. Making an aluminum mount to replace the front of the motor box. One issue with motors is some have 19 mm x 16 mm pattern [rather than the standard square pattern] and no way to mount it without weakening the mount area. Motor that I have for the AMR is HK's SK3 3542-800 [142g/ $32]. Mine is red so thanks for the heads up on visibility. I find 4" light and dark stripes work best in poor light.
BOBHEND is offline Find More Posts by BOBHEND
Last edited by BOBHEND; Jun 19, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Bobend~ I would highly recommend AGAINST the aluminum mount. While it sucks you lost your motor that is rare. Personally, I would rather my motor mount be a weak spot and fail, rather than the shock going through the firewall and breaking the fuse somewhere else... Also, I would not compromise the integrity of the motor mount box with any new holes.

If you do not want to use the Thrust 40, there have been many other persons in the PA threads that have found alternative motors that drop in and use the same mounting holes as the Thrust. I suggest you go with one of those motors, it will be a drop in fit...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,131 Posts
Another busted AMR motor box to add to the long list.. And yes this one was reinforced with c/f! Motor broke on impact with ground so I'll need a new one of those as well
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,131 Posts
PS.. there is an alternative explanation. The hacker motor could have broken in flight and the flailing rotor may have ripped up the box.. it's kinda hard to be sure what went first.