HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:18 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
the AMR does the easiest and fastest KE spins out there. All you need is both sticks hard forward.. it doesn't get much easier.

Here's a vid I shot last night with an onboard cam looking back. KE spin starts at 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zTN5uY_1Xo
Beautiful Spin but,did I see a little left rudder?
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:17 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Beautiful Spin but,did I see a little left rudder?
Yeah, a bit.. It's more out of habit than anything else. My other planes need rudder so my thumbs tend to go into automatic pilot. The AMR definitely spins faster with little or no rudder though adding a touch of rudder may slow the rate of descent a bit.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
401 Posts
I just now finished my AMR and I'm in the middle of getting the CG and realized what a PITA getting the battery in/out is going to be.

I dont understand why they couldn't have made the battery tray 10mm lower to make it easier for different brands of batteries. It's hard enough that the top wing is in the way but why such a small compartment for the battery ? I'm thinking I will be doing some cutting and gluing to adjust the tray.

It's going to be a battle getting my 3s 2200 Rhino packs in there the way it is.

Has anyone modded the battery tray for easier access ?
tukkus is offline Find More Posts by tukkus
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
401 Posts
If anyone wants a new set of wheel pants for their AMR you can have mine for $7 shipped.

I wont be using them on my grass field.

They are yellow.
tukkus is offline Find More Posts by tukkus
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkus View Post
I just now finished my AMR and I'm in the middle of getting the CG and realized what a PITA getting the battery in/out is going to be.

I dont understand why they couldn't have made the battery tray 10mm lower to make it easier for different brands of batteries. It's hard enough that the top wing is in the way but why such a small compartment for the battery ? I'm thinking I will be doing some cutting and gluing to adjust the tray.

It's going to be a battle getting my 3s 2200 Rhino packs in there the way it is.

If you go back through these postings you'll see a mod with carbon struts placed diagonally after cutting those 2 formers. I fly with a 4 cell and it fits perfectly under them. After a few flights you get adept at putting the batt in. You'll love this plane once you fly it though. Tail wheel needs a mod too and strengthen the motor box!
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheus View Post
If you go back through these postings you'll see a mod with carbon struts placed diagonally after cutting those 2 formers. I fly with a 4 cell and it fits perfectly under them. After a few flights you get adept at putting the batt in. You'll love this plane once you fly it though. Tail wheel needs a mod too and strengthen the motor box!
+1. I augmented the front Former and the rear Former! Makes it sooooo much easier
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Last edited by YellowJacketsRC; Jun 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:27 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
...what a PITA getting the battery in/out is going to be.
Yep, there are few ways to modify the former to improve access. I made the top cross brace removable which works well: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5344
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,607 Posts
Oops, I meant Former
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:

yes, real PITA, i even broke it once... (no, 2ce, 1ce with velcro, second time idk how i did that...) , yeah, for me lg screws kept going out, yeah, red visibility in air is not the best....

but once it is in the air, on a calm day, i kept forgetting all the minuses it has!

and if you move battery lower, it changes cog... not much but plane flew different...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:21 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
Been really trying to get through the thread and make a decision on the AMR. So far I've seen that the motor box is weak, tail wheel will not last, visibility/orientation not the best. I really like it but, the motor box issue is putting me on the fence. I want a bipe and I want a bipe that I can take with me and not have to break it down. The AMR looks and from the vids flies great. I just need to think about it a little more I guess.....
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Been really trying to get through the thread and make a decision on the AMR. So far I've seen that the motor box is weak, tail wheel will not last, visibility/orientation not the best. I really like it but, the motor box issue is putting me on the fence. I want a bipe and I want a bipe that I can take with me and not have to break it down. The AMR looks and from the vids flies great. I just need to think about it a little more I guess.....
You wont be siddapointed!I have not had the "weak motorbox and tail wheel" issue.as for orientation,I think it's pretty good
Regarding the battery tray,if you move it the plane WILL fly diffrent.it was mounted where it is for a reason and I promise you that Shaun had it there after much testing.I fly with Turnigy 2200's and they fit just fine
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
I saw that some 3s2200s are a tight fit. I have some Turnigy and GensAce so I hope they'd fit. Still trying to decide. The H9 Christen Eagle is a little bit too big and the Miss Wind costs too much. I don't want a foamy either...
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
The motor box is ok (flexible but still ok) once you glass the rear of the motor mount plate with the bit of glass cloth that comes with the kit. It's irritating that PA couldn't actually sort out the problem during building in the factory. PA take their usual stance on the issue in denying that there is a problem, yet at the same time they include instructions and materials to reinforce it... hmmm. But at the end of the day glassing is not a big deal.
Tailwheel is a minor issue, more of an annoyance really, again easily fixed.

I've got a green one and I've never had any problem with orientation. Battery access is probably the thing that would be most difficult on a day to day basis unless you do something to fix it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:15 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,607 Posts
The motor box is weak. Simply use the fiberglass reinforcement supplied with kit and you are golden. Get the yellow one for great visibility. Put a different tail wheel on it. Go ahead and change the formers before you build and you will be happy. Do not use vector on battery tray. Use super soft insulation foam and strap battery in.

Quite frankly I am put off by all these issues. BUT there is not another bipe in this size on the market that can even come close to this plane's performance envelope! It is really a joy to fly! Pain in the ass to basically fix all the poor manufacturing issues that PA SHOULD have fixed a long time ago? Yes it is. Worth it? ABSOLUTELY!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I saw that some 3s2200s are a tight fit. I have some Turnigy and GensAce so I hope they'd fit. Still trying to decide. The H9 Christen Eagle is a little bit too big and the Miss Wind costs too much. I don't want a foamy either...
Gens Ace 3S 2200, 60-120C batteries, which are probably bigger than average, fit just fine. To make it easier, I didn't put any velcro on the battery tray. I coated it with Welders to create a thin rubber like surface so the battery wouldn't slide around and attached velcro battery straps at both ends to hold the batteries down. I slide the batteries in with the attached velcro facing up. The velcro straps grip onto the battery as well as to each other to secure the batteries.

Putting the batteries in still can be a pain, but not more so than putting the canopy on.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277