HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
In lieu of all the bad press about PA USA's customer support, I wanted to chime to say that they came through for me.

UPS squished the box my new AMR wings came in and PA USA will send be new replacement ones when the next container shows up with them. Steve even offered to send me some new carbon dooheekees (the ones that connect the top alierons with the bottom ones via the carbon rods).

I called them Friday when I received the shipment but they were closed (I'm in the west coast) and got a call back this morning.

my $0.02
vhuang168 is offline Find More Posts by vhuang168
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 01:10 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
In lieu of all the bad press about PA USA's customer support, I wanted to chime to say that they came through for me.
I'm pleases that you are happy.. If it were me I'd not be quite so content because as I read it they haven't got your part and haven't given you a firm date when they will have it? Of course any manufacturer can run out of stock so maybe I'm being harsh, but best not count your chickens until they hatch and the old saying goes. Fingers crossed they have the bits for you sent out soon.

But at least they called you back, which is positive. Personally I found the guys in the USA PA office helpful once I got through to them on the phone. Forget any other form of contact though because (in my experience) you get ignored though this comment is more related to UK and international support rather than the US office..
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 08, 2012, 04:45 AM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
steve, what was your idea to contact the us office?

i did deal a few times with the australian head office......very fast answer & very fast and cheap shipping any item i ever needed.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old May 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
3d electric is my world.....
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
I love mine. Not flying it as much because I just got a new bipe.

Sebart Pitts Python!!

I would be bummed if PA discontinues the AMR!!
Hey, I am trying to decide between the Sebart Pitts and the PA Ultimate. If you have both can you give me any tips? I am particularily concerned about distance to land as my runway is only about 220 feet long between two fences. Obviously the bigger plane is a lot more expensive,but i am not worried about cost... just want a great plane. I already have 3 other PA planes, and they are terrific. Any thoughts?
theBrent is offline Find More Posts by theBrent
Old May 08, 2012, 08:57 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Quote:

UPS squished the box my new AMR wings came in and PA USA will send be new replacement ones when the next container shows up with them. Steve even offered to send me some new carbon dooheekees (the ones that connect the top alierons with the bottom ones via the carbon rods).

I called them Friday when I received the shipment but they were closed (I'm in the west coast) and got a call back this morning.

my $0.02
My last package came just before seff, unfortunately it too suffered some bruising during shipping and suffered cracks on a deformed cowl. I thought I had written PA an email before I left for seff, but after checking a moment ago I did not see anything in my outbox. I might have called it in but maybe not...I will send them a note in the morning and am confident they will help as well.

I meant to mention it to Steve when I met him after the demos, but with everything else going on I forgot and was just happy to match a face to the name. He was very nice and I believe he has been working hard and improving the reputation. I am hear more of good testimonials on USA, and it seems less posts of poor communication/service. +1

I did take pictures of the unboxing in just case I need to send them in.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old May 08, 2012, 09:07 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrent View Post
Hey, I am trying to decide between the Sebart Pitts and the PA Ultimate. If you have both can you give me any tips? I am particularily concerned about distance to land as my runway is only about 220 feet long between two fences. Obviously the bigger plane is a lot more expensive,but i am not worried about cost... just want a great plane. I already have 3 other PA planes, and they are terrific. Any thoughts?
Totally different birds, one is practically giant scale, the other is a park flyer.

PA outshines in 3d and is unbelievably aggressive with a wide flight envelope and light wingloading.

Sep is a 10+ lb plane with 100 inches of wing(two fifty inch wings)... this is not apples to apples here, but I have had them both and do think Seb is my choice if I only wanted to do pattern and sport flying. It will not huck 3d like the PA though... and I like 3d.

If space is a concern, dont think about it and go with PA. As I said, seb is heavy but I flew it and landed on a very short street. In regards to landing area, it was likely about 100+ feet with rollout if you 3point land it; but in the air, you need much more room to fly than you do with the PA. IMO it does not sound like you have the airspace to fly the Seb; buy the AMR you can fly it all day long in a baseball field or High School stadium and you can spot land it at your feet with 10-30 feet of rollout.

As you said, if money is no option, just get them both. While you might fly the Seb less because of travel distances to a real field, you will at least get to appreciate them both.

I dont think an owner of either plane has much bad to say. We love them both.

In the pic below, I landed from the bottom to the top of the picture and rollout would end 10 feet before the stopsign. for size reference, the cutout on the right side of the road at the bottom of the pic is for 3 cars to parallel park, the top cutout on the right side of the road is for 2 cars to parallel park... I am not sure how many feet are in a parking space

The AMR will land in the width of the street (with cutouts and a little headwind)... really gets the blood flowing!
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; May 08, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 01:05 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
steve, what was your idea to contact the us office?

i did deal a few times with the australian head office......very fast answer & very fast and cheap shipping any item i ever needed.
I contacted the US because i have friends in the US who could forward the stuff to me along with other items i'd ordered from elsewhere. In any case i did try emailing the head office and over 18 months later I'm still awaiting a reply
Old May 09, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrent View Post
My AMR is currently out of commission right now due to a crunched top wing from a non-flyng accident. But I am flying my Sebart Pitts and I'm loving it.

Just like bsbauman says, totally different planes. Not just in size but in flying styles. The Pitts will 3d but you will need room for it whereas the AMR can be flown in close comfortably. But my Pitts will do everything I ask of it and is very easy to fly. Very impressive in the air.

I fly it in a relatively small landing area, about a 150 ft runway max. It will come in slow and simply plop itself down on 3 wheels everytime. Minimal roll out.

I love the fact that the wings come off with only 4 carbon rods and 2 bolts/nuts. The AMR actually takes up more room since I have to keep it assembled. Plus the battery bay is cramped. The Pitts has a huge battery bay, the top part of the cowl comes off easily since it is attached with magnets.
Old May 09, 2012, 06:25 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I contacted the US because i have friends in the US who could forward the stuff to me along with other items i'd ordered from elsewhere. In any case i did try emailing the head office and over 18 months later I'm still awaiting a reply
I emailed HQ - got a reply within a week to advise I had to deal with UK dealer and importer http://www.macgregor.co.uk/rchome.htm

They carry a fair amount of parts stock - if not they will get one added to next shipment if available from PA - only downside is they get shipments every 2-3 months.
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old May 09, 2012, 06:43 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
I emailed HQ - got a reply within a week to advise I had to deal with UK dealer and importer http://www.macgregor.co.uk/rchome.htm

They carry a fair amount of parts stock - if not they will get one added to next shipment if available from PA - only downside is they get shipments every 2-3 months.
Macgregor were most unhelpful to be honest. They didnt have any of the parts I needed and offered me no option for back ordering. In terms of a warranty claim on the faulty l/g leg they said they had forwarded the claim to PA HQ and would let me know when they got news back... that was over 18 months ago

I just gave up and decided to stop banging my head on the wall.

Steve
Old May 09, 2012, 06:59 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Macgregor were most unhelpful to be honest. They didnt have any of the parts I needed and offered me no option for back ordering. In terms of a warranty claim on the faulty l/g leg they said they had forwarded the claim to PA HQ and would let me know when they got news back... that was over 18 months ago

I just gave up and decided to stop banging my head on the wall.

Steve
I have a feeling they don't like dealing with Joe public and prefer to deal directly with retailers - I did get email responses from Macgregor and they will order stuff...but did seem vague...as to what and how...etc

However I went to my Local hobbyshop and they phoned on my behalf to ask for availability...and all but one item was in stock for which they would order if I wanted.....the hobbyshop were given ship dates and lots more info than I could get directly
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old May 10, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Totally different birds, one is practically giant scale, the other is a park flyer.

PA outshines in 3d and is unbelievably aggressive with a wide flight envelope and light wingloading.

Sep is a 10+ lb plane with 100 inches of wing(two fifty inch wings)... this is not apples to apples here, but I have had them both and do think Seb is my choice if I only wanted to do pattern and sport flying. It will not huck 3d like the PA though... and I like 3d.

If space is a concern, dont think about it and go with PA. As I said, seb is heavy but I flew it and landed on a very short street. In regards to landing area, it was likely about 100+ feet with rollout if you 3point land it; but in the air, you need much more room to fly than you do with the PA. IMO it does not sound like you have the airspace to fly the Seb; buy the AMR you can fly it all day long in a baseball field or High School stadium and you can spot land it at your feet with 10-30 feet of rollout.

As you said, if money is no option, just get them both. While you might fly the Seb less because of travel distances to a real field, you will at least get to appreciate them both.

I dont think an owner of either plane has much bad to say. We love them both.

In the pic below, I landed from the bottom to the top of the picture and rollout would end 10 feet before the stopsign. for size reference, the cutout on the right side of the road at the bottom of the pic is for 3 cars to parallel park, the top cutout on the right side of the road is for 2 cars to parallel park... I am not sure how many feet are in a parking space

The AMR will land in the width of the street (with cutouts and a little headwind)... really gets the blood flowing!
Thanks for the detailed reply. I did expect them to be different planes, but there seems to be not a lot of choice in Australia when you are looking for a Bipe! fd course Australia is the home of Precision Aerobatics, and i think they produce a top grade product.... It probably doesnt help me that they are currently out of stock of the AMR.... still i could wait i suppose. I have no doubt their machine would be great. Plenty of other birds in the hangar to fly..... love my PA addiction and Addy X!!!

But i was contemplating the Sebart as i was thinking it would be good to step up to the next size bird. Although my runway is about 220 feet between two fences, i do have another 50+ feet on either side of those fences, so i normally come in at 90 degrees and bring them down just over the fence. I am pretty scared of putting $1200 worth of plane in the sky and then realizing there is no where to put it down..... Wouldnt that just kill you day!!!!
Old May 10, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
My AMR is currently out of commission right now due to a crunched top wing from a non-flyng accident. But I am flying my Sebart Pitts and I'm loving it.

Just like bsbauman says, totally different planes. Not just in size but in flying styles. The Pitts will 3d but you will need room for it whereas the AMR can be flown in close comfortably. But my Pitts will do everything I ask of it and is very easy to fly. Very impressive in the air.

I fly it in a relatively small landing area, about a 150 ft runway max. It will come in slow and simply plop itself down on 3 wheels everytime. Minimal roll out.

I love the fact that the wings come off with only 4 carbon rods and 2 bolts/nuts. The AMR actually takes up more room since I have to keep it assembled. Plus the battery bay is cramped. The Pitts has a huge battery bay, the top part of the cowl comes off easily since it is attached with magnets.
So if you can land it in 150feet, my 220feet is looking more possible!!!
I guess i just need to make the big decision.... $1200 for a Sebart pitts and maybe i can get it down... or $600 for a PA AMR and definately can get it down!!!

What about the build on the Sebart.... are they easy to put together??? I read somewhere that they are a bit advanced to build?
Old May 10, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
The Sebart is not any more difficult to build than any other ARF. It actually came with a jig that makes sure the top wing will be at the correct incidence to the bottom wing when you build it.

Here is my maiden

SebArt Pitts Python 50E at Rancho San Antonio (3 min 45 sec)

You can see how short it lands from the video. That was actually longer than I can land it now since that was my 1st landing with it so I came in a little hot.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:16 AM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
I managed to put two more battery's through the AMR a few days ago , the winds were up at 10-15 , this bird doesn't seem to like any wind , she was very twitchy and all over the place , but made it home safely , thankfully
saffa365 is offline Find More Posts by saffa365