to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'll tell you how I'm doing them now, which seems to work based on my flying session yesterday:

Get some speed up and pull into a vertical WOT.
  • Full left aileron.
  • A moment or two later full right rudder.
  • Simultaneously move to full down elevator and close the throttle.
  • As plane reaches apex centre the right stick.
  • When rotation stops centre the rudder, add throttle and fly out, use up elevator to prevent the nose dropping and levelling the wings with aileron as required.

I'd also be interested to hear if I'm doing it any different to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masehare View Post
Gary, please give us a summary of your control inputs for the pop tops. I've been struggling to do clean ones as well.

Thanks
Christo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Gary,

Actually it's doing them pretty well now I've got the use of the elevator figured out. Possibly you are getting more energy in yours because you are using a higher kv motior so get more speed in the verticals (My Hacker is 800kv and pulls about 450W peak) ?.. Hard to say without seeing both in action.

I just find the blenders have a bit more violence due to being gravity assisted.

Steve
Christo, I'm doing my maneuvers the same way as Steve described, and followed Wamsy's video to learn.
Steve, I'm getting about 550-575w, so yes, I'm probably entering with a little more inertia, however you could also achieve more entry speed by starting with a dive, and then round out and pull up into an upline, instead of entering from straight and level.

Gary
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 02, 2012, 03:32 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,249 Posts
stick movements on mode1 are pretty similar.i go full left aileron,full down and right rudder simultaneously and a second later bring back throttle,aileron and elevator and a second or so after that,centre on rudder.if that makes sense
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old May 02, 2012, 08:02 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Thonotosassa, FL
Joined May 2007
260 Posts
What would be the best Hobby King motor for this bird. thanks in Advance

Bob
oldfish is offline Find More Posts by oldfish
Old May 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfish View Post

Bob
I'm not a fan of any of the HK motors, but I understand from the owner of EPBuddy.com that he'll have this motor back in stock very shortly: http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=188

That is the motor I'm running in mine with great success.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 03, 2012, 06:18 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfish View Post

Bob
Bob
The SK3 3542 800kv looks to be a pretty good match, on paper. The spec is almost identical to my Hacker A30-14L which works well in the AMR:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 04, 2012, 07:03 AM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Successful Maiden ?

Finally got to Maiden her this morning , First Battery was a blast , only had to give one click of left ail and one click of down elevator .

it took a little getting used to as ive been flying my addiction quite a lot lately. All was good and managed to land her safely , changed battery pack and sent her off again , this time i got to ahead of myself and whilst inverted i dumb thumbed her into the ground upside down ...........
i saw my pride flash before my eyes , luckily only damage was a broken VOX prop and broken landing gear .....
I took her home and gave her a good checking over , everything else seems fine .

the field i land on is pretty messy so i think im gonna get some larger wheels and probably make my own landing gear out of aluminum .

All in all i think it was a pretty sucsessfull Maiden , it could have been worse .

Batterys are charged and im off to the field with the ADDY
saffa365 is offline Find More Posts by saffa365
Old May 04, 2012, 07:07 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffa365 View Post
Finally got to Maiden her this morning , First Battery was a blast , only had to give one click of left ail and one click of down elevator .

it took a little getting used to as ive been flying my addiction quite a lot lately. All was good and managed to land her safely , changed battery pack and sent her off again , this time i got to ahead of myself and whilst inverted i dumb thumbed her into the ground upside down ...........
i saw my pride flash before my eyes , luckily only damage was a broken VOX prop and broken landing gear .....
I took her home and gave her a good checking over , everything else seems fine .

the field i land on is pretty messy so i think im gonna get some larger wheels and probably make my own landing gear out of aluminum .

All in all i think it was a pretty sucsessfull Maiden , it could have been worse .

Batterys are charged and im off to the field with the ADDY
Ouch.sorry to hear.how does the lG break on an inverted meet with our friend the ground
But glad nothing else broke I'm gonna try get some vid this weekend
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old May 04, 2012, 01:47 PM
Proudly South African
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Not quite sure , but the plane did flip , as I said my field is terrible for landings .
Don't think I'm gonna bother with the spats , I've just come back from field , after flying my Addy , and I have removed the spats from that , and now she lands like a beauty , I think my grass is just to long for them

Hope fully get the amr landing gear sorted this weekend and have her back in the air on Sunday

Only spare prop I have is apc 13x6.5
saffa365 is offline Find More Posts by saffa365
Last edited by saffa365; May 05, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 02:02 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,187 Posts
I very nearly crashed my AMR today.. i was doing my new favourite trick... the blender and getting confidence to do them closer to the ground. The thing that caught me out was that once locked into the inverted flat spin the AMR sometimes doesn't want to stop

Once I ended up opening the throttle to WOT, it kept sinning and actually started to climb while still locked in the spin, once i got enough height I exited by pulling up elevator and bunting out, which is ok if you have the height, I only had a couple of feet to spare

Anyone else have the same problem with a reluctance to come out of flat spins?... Sitting here thinking about it I'm thinking to myself that maybe I was leaving the right rudder on. I guess if I was panicking it's possible that I was neglecting to centre the rudder when I wanted to exit, next time out I'll make sure to check my rudder input.
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; May 05, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old May 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,563 Posts
Yes, that is a problem with blenders regardless of plane. You have to release rudder, add throttle, and add aileron to roll upright. You can also release rudder and add full "Down" elevator and hit the throttle to head vertical.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old May 05, 2012, 02:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Yes, that is a problem with blenders regardless of plane. You have to release rudder, add throttle, and add aileron to roll upright. You can also release rudder and add full "Down" elevator and hit the throttle to head vertical.
Ahh.. so it's not just me. My other models (the EF Edge EXP and HK Slick) do seem to exit easier.. the AMR just wants to keep spinning! maybe a slightly more forward CG would help.

The full 'down' (i.e. Tx stick hard back) was the sure fire way to exit but only any good if you have enough height, and on a couple of occasions I only just had enough.. had my flying buddy diving for cover!
Old May 05, 2012, 02:20 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,563 Posts
When I say down elevator I mean push the stick forward to make plane go up. Is that what you did?

Yes it does tend to keep spinning. Try a bit of opposite rudder to straighten faster.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old May 05, 2012, 03:07 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
When I say down elevator I mean push the stick forward to make plane go up. Is that what you did?
Tried that and it just kept spinning.. I think I need to check on what I'm doing with the rudder. In the heat of the moment maybe dumb thumb is taking over keeping in the rudder in the direction of the spin.
Old May 05, 2012, 03:36 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
I actually jump off the sticks for a brief second and wait for the planes inertia to slow the plane and then pull it out..
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat