HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, PA, Wrightsville
Joined Nov 2002
267 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on all of your comments. I have made it 3/4 of the way thru this long thread. I have been flying for 15 yr now and will never have the stick skills many of our members have but i don't crash planes either. I'm not a serious 3d flyer but need this type of plane as i have limited landing and take off area when i fly at home.

I currently fly a 42slick and an old Attitude from Todd,s from many years ago while he was still doing design work not to mention 4 other planes that i fly on a daily basis based on weather.

Soon i will be picking up an Addicition to replace the rung out Attitude (i loved that plane)

Again thank you for your advice.
Craig

I am really drawn to this AMR it looks great and seems to have limited issues as most planes go.
Crgabel is offline Find More Posts by Crgabel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
if you can land a 42, than ultimate lands like 3x slower... it was kinda creepy, how slow it can fly and still remain in the air.. however slick can take more wind... the only real issue is colour scheme visibility... rest is just...so, nitpicking!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2002
267 Posts
i hear ya!

I'm so ready to get this thing started. I just had spine surgery 2 weeks ago and will have some good time to build. I never build fast but enjoy the build to really see how it all ties together.

I did not mean to sound like a jerk by saying I don't crash planes but I fly conservitive. I fly low but know where my limits are and do not push it. I hate the thought of a $400.00 yard dart just to be cool when my skills do not warrent it. I just love to fly.

Craig
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
AND 42" can take a lot more beating than ultimate... >.< i simply harriered into bush and broke motor box off the first fuse former.. so be ready for that!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
AND 42" can take a lot more beating than ultimate... >.< i simply harriered into bush and broke motor box off the first fuse former.. so be ready for that!
ehhh its all in how you hit, i have dropped the AMR on the wing in a harrier with no damage at all, but i dropped the 42" on the wing in a harrier and it crushed the side of the plane. But yeah the Motor box is about the only really big complaint i have about the AMR wish is was built like a EF or 3dhs
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
and how would you repair the motor box on an EF or DHS plane..? you would have to replace the whole fuselage.

I did crash my AMR some months ago, breaking the motor box and the first bulkhead. The motor box has been replace immediatly by the local dealer who did send me a few weeks later this broken bulkhead. What ask for more?

Jonathan
(France)
lecaidduvol is offline Find More Posts by lecaidduvol
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaidduvol View Post
and how would you repair the motor box on an EF or DHS plane..? you would have to replace the whole fuselage.

I did crash my AMR some months ago, breaking the motor box and the first bulkhead. The motor box has been replace immediatly by the local dealer who did send me a few weeks later this broken bulkhead. What ask for more?

Jonathan
(France)
...no you get a motor box kit and rebuild it.
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaidduvol View Post

Jonathan
(France)
huh? motor box? every 3dhs plane has a motor boxes... question is, are they in stock! did it on my 48 and kit included motor box+ battery tray+ even LG formers and a bit of balsa for fuse sides......

and (im just guessing) if you get a PA motor box, it comes ready? and you just have to reglue it to first fuse former... (wich in 90%) will be damaged BEFORE motor box... (again im guessing) you can not get separately (or together with motor box) first fuse former? and to replace that you have to buy a new fuse... where in 3dhs planes, nothing will break from simple landing noseover, but if you DO break motor box, i give 90% you will have to swap a motor box, battery tray and most likely 1 or 2 fuse formers.... wich everything (at least on 48" edge) comes with a MB kit..
Last edited by rimaarts; Apr 15, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Nov 2002
267 Posts
I naturally beef up all motor boxes and landing gear for all planes as i fly ROG 90 % of the time at home.

most times I go directly to aluminum gear as a rule regardless of who the manufacture is. I would not if i was flying off paved runway. the grass is abusive to landing gear. This is just what i have had to do over the years to keep them alive.

Craig
Last edited by Crgabel; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: content
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
huh? motor box? every 3dhs plane has a motor boxes... question is, are they in stock! did it on my 48 and kit included motor box+ battery tray+ even LG formers and a bit of balsa for fuse sides......

and (im just guessing) if you get a PA motor box, it comes ready? and you just have to reglue it to first fuse former... (wich in 90%) will be damaged BEFORE motor box... (again im guessing) you can not get separately (or together with motor box) first fuse former? and to replace that you have to buy a new fuse... where in 3dhs planes, nothing will break from simple landing noseover, but if you DO break motor box, i give 90% you will have to swap a motor box, battery tray and most likely 1 or 2 fuse formers.... wich everything (at least on 48" edge) comes with a MB kit..
I would suggest that a 3dhs motorbox kit is the best available in the hobby, for the reasons you just stated. With PA, no first former included, with EF, no option but a new fuse... must debond horizontal stab and cut rudder hinges :-(
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Guessing is always the easiest way to go, when you don't know..

it is a matter of fact that in the five years we sell PA in Europe, we did only need two first formers..one for the Ultimate (the french customer) and one for the Addiction (for a german customer) . All other damages did only need the replacement of the motor box..and not a bit more

Alvin Braeckman
PA Germany
braeckman is offline Find More Posts by braeckman
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braeckman View Post

it is a matter of fact that in the five years we sell PA in Europe, we did only need two first formers..one for the Ultimate (the french customer) and one for the Addiction (for a german customer) . All other damages did only need the replacement of the motor box..and not a bit more

Alvin Braeckman
PA Germany
Than my serious apologies! As i said, that was only my guesswork... But yeah, looking at fuse, its kinda hard to believe that (fiberglassed an epoxy coated) motor box would break before first former...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:56 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,866 Posts
Yes,
I have replaced more than a few motor boxes on Katana MD, AMR, and Extra 260. Most needed some rebuild of first former. At least some extra support. BUt I always made it work.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braeckman View Post

Alvin Braeckman
PA Germany
I can confirm that as the Czech distributor. It is either motor box and cowling or complete fuselage for the worst type of accidents where there is nearly nothing left from the fuselage and even the 3DHS spare parts with the first former would not help...

Jakub
Cuba is offline Find More Posts by Cuba
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba View Post
I can confirm that as the Czech distributor. It is either motor box and cowling or complete fuselage for the worst type of accidents where there is nearly nothing left from the fuselage and even the 3DHS spare parts with the first former would not help...

Jakub
Guess that makes me an exception, does it? breaking mb off the first former without a scratch on mb itself?