HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffa365 View Post
thanks for the replies guys , im gonna go for it , green or blue is the only desicion to make now

once again cheers for the input
There was a guy at my field yesterday with a HK pitts when I had my AMR out. The HK was a bit heavier it flew well (no 3D st sll though) but landed much faster than the AMR. If you fly the HK the AMR will be easy.

Now about colours, I've had red, but currently have green, but if I get aother one it will be blue. If you go a few pages back there is some discussion about colours.

Keeps us in the loop and let us know how you go
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Noticed a little side to side flex in the motor box during motor run ups. Reinforced as you can see in pic.

Anyone have CG measurement for use with the great planes balancer, which goes off the leading edge at the root, not the wing tip? Thanks!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; Apr 06, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:33 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
one more thing... as per you all and manual suggested, i removed c-clip and brass collar... and now i found one strange thing, i can push my prop adapter inside... the can looks like holding on a springs or magnets or whatever... i was wondering why my motor is making strange screetching sound sometimes when throttling up and today wanting to try t40 vox, i simply pushed my prop adapter like 1cm in... i cant pull it out, but only push it it... im wondering is it dangerous? apart from screetching sound all seems to be ok and motor doesnt seem to be heating up...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:41 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
one more thing... as per you all and manual suggested, i removed c-clip and brass collar... and now i found one strange thing, i can push my prop adapter inside...
That's normal once you remove the 'c' clip. the only thing retaining the rotor from sliding back is the magnetic attraction between the rotor magnets and the iron core of the stator. It's not a problem because in flight the prop is always pulling forward.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:49 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
That's normal once you remove the 'c' clip. the only thing retaining the rotor from sliding back is the magnetic attraction between the rotor magnets and the iron core of the stator. It's not a problem because in flight the prop is always pulling forward.
ooh, tnx! i knew that i cant pull prop out, but still better safe than sorry... and i guess i found screetching problem... found tiny part of c-clip inside... just now to mount back and test again..
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:00 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo... today got another 3 flights... went from 13" to t40 prop... and strange thing, motor gets only a touch warmer, altough i was expecting it to be quite hot... granted, i did only a couple of WOT ke passes and uplines but still...and only thing during my hovering it requires a bit more aeleron..also tweaked my CoG slightly... i dont understand... sometimes this plane is as stable as my 57" but sometimes it rocks like crazy... upped my aeleron throws from 20* to reccomended 45* and man, this thing TUMBLES! and that gives another problem... if you tumble when you are FAR away, it gets kinda hairy to regain orientation fast...

sigh... i guess after 71" slick ill be loking for some big biplane...
Last edited by rimaarts; Apr 08, 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guess i REALLY need some more different colour on the bottom wing... on flight 11, when i was kinda far away, harriering down on the deck, somehow i looked away and when i turned back to plane, aelerons seemed reversed.. >.< result? damaged first former of the fuse (read motor box broken off...) clean break, i will fix it in an hour or 2 but still, since i learned how to fly, its first plane i lost due to loosing orientation...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
i was kinda far away, harriering down on the deck, somehow i looked away and when i turned back to plane, aelerons seemed reversed.. >.< result?
I would say that the result of looking away and turning your back on your plane when harrier'ing close to the ground is very predictable

I cant see how the colour scheme would make any difference if you werent looking at it
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
emm... the thing was, the field is like 2.5 football fields...+ football training ground with lights, artifical grass and stuff like that where im not flying, from that field children started comming out, and i was checking how much of 'my' space they where taking, if i can fly or i need to pack and go home... i looked for a second and when looked back, i could SWEAR plane was still going away from me, but somehow aelerons was reversed so i guess it was going towards me, and i crashed not while i was looking away, but when i looked back while trying to reverse aelerons in my mind... well, tehnically speaking i harriered into a bushes 2" off the ground and than fell out on the nose.. if bottom wing would be like white or something, i would definetely understand wich is bottom of the plane and wich is top... but red and black kinda blends when far away.. wouldnt be the first time when i have to remember wich way plane was moving before to understand wich attitude plane has now... especially low harriering on the green background... or when tumbling...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,765 Posts
I've always found orientation is much more of a problem with biplanes. I don't need to turn my head away to lose it either - it's like that thing where there's a picture that's the outline of a vase, then suddenly it looks like two faces looking at each other instead.

FWIW, I've found the vinyl paints and plastic primer from Halfords can be used on plastic coverings fairly well. Just clean it up with pure isopropanol, or similar, before painting. Buffing the covering first is good, but hard to do well and not essential.

Here's a couple of pictures of my Green RC 3D Spirit, done with those paints, plus some white Plastikote on top of some of the gray primer. It used to be green all over, and semi transparent. I crashed it early on because I couldn't tell the top from the bottom.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
[QUOTE=Andy2No;21291859]I've always found orientation is much more of a problem with biplanes. I don't need to turn my head away to lose it either - it's like that thing where there's a picture that's the outline of a vase, then suddenly it looks like two faces looking at each other instead.

You're right it's a biplane thing.Happens a lot at distance.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
PA Ultimate AMR review!

For perspective, this is my FIRST PA airplane.

On the build:
  1. Very good instructions
  2. All parts fit together easily
  3. good quality covering and straight lines in the color design
  4. easy to install horizontal stab
Things I did different (thanks to all of your advice)
  1. Installed 3dhs axles, wheels, and tail gear assembly
  2. removed the first cross bar impeding battery insertion, installed it lower, and added 2 CF rods diagonally, for stiffening
  3. added a total of 6 extra 1 inch white stripes on the bottom to help with visibility
  4. did not remove covering on horizontal stab installation
  5. removed a fair amount of balsa that was restricting full elevator movement both up and down. I wanted the maximum throw possible.
  6. did not use the Z bend on the servo arm, used adjustable crimps (3dhs style) with existing CF push rod
  7. installed SunnySky 2820-950kv motor, and as such, modified the firewall by drilling holes to accommodate 25mm x4 spacing. Installed cutoff x mount on the outside of the firewall.
Last weekend, I completed the maiden flight, and 6 more. She flew well, here are my observations:
  1. Lands VERY slow with no problems
  2. can also fly very slow straight and level
  3. definitely a lot of pull during knife edge flight. Needed 18% mix from rudder to elevator
  4. factory recommend mix for rudder to aileron was spot on
  5. seems a little more sensitive to aileron inputs during knife edge flight than other airplanes
  6. AMAZING KNIFE EDGE SPINS!!! Very easy to enter also
  7. great pop tops and tumbles
  8. definite wing rock in high alpha harrier, but I'm not the best at doing that maneuver yet...

Overall, great plane for the price, wish they'd fix the gear issues, make an universal rear mount firewall, and use CF hinges on the ailerons and elevator control surfaces. Also, I would suggest a better contrasting top vs. bottom color scheme.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
about the wii rock in a harrier...my guess, its mostly your inputs... first flights it really freaked me out, but now, sometimes i get it as stable as it can be and sometimes it really rocks... either im doing something different from time to time, either im autocorrecting wiithout really noticing it..about KE mix... remember that you have a down trim of elevator! quite a big one! so mix needs to compensate about it+ usual coupling... .
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
Hucking my Green AMR on the helmet cam. Luuuurv the AMR

Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR (7 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr Kamikaze; Apr 10, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr Kamikaze; Apr 10, 2012 at 07:51 PM.