HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteam View Post
Hi Steve, Can you elaborate on this a little? It sounds to me like you are saying to position the elevator with some down in it, rather than even with the horizontall stab. Is that right?

Thanks.

Doug
if i remember correctly, yeah, level flight as opposed from most monoplanes, requires down trim... im not smart in aerodynamics but thats something about upper wing drag, its not NESSECARY upon building, you can easily trim it out, but still..
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:43 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
doooh... you beat me to that!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
actually i forgot to add 2 things... my timer was set @6min, and i set my landing approach at 5, so i landed around 5.30-5.45 and with 13x6 prop, batteries had came down @11.6-11.9V.. so i might guess, i MIGHT start my landing approach at 6min, and still be ok..

and another thing...yeah, colour scheme looks GREAT on the ground, or when flying withing 2 football field space... but if i want to fly further, its VERY hard to distinguish top from bottom wing... they both are red and i actually almost lost the plane once... (and after that i stopped flying so far! )
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
actually i forgot to add 2 things... my timer was set @6min, and i set my landing approach at 5, so i landed around 5.30-5.45 and with 13x6 prop, batteries had came down @11.6-11.9V.. so i might guess, i MIGHT start my landing approach at 6min, and still be ok..

and another thing...yeah, colour scheme looks GREAT on the ground, or when flying withing 2 football field space... but if i want to fly further, its VERY hard to distinguish top from bottom wing... they both are red and i actually almost lost the plane once... (and after that i stopped flying so far! )
I noticed that in the videos I saw of others flying the plane. I'm tempted to re-cover the top of the top wing black, to match the bottom of the bottom wing.

The other idea I had was to add 3 or 4 more white stripes to the bottom of the bottom wing.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:50 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
but the best idea wich requires no recowering is ''FLY LOW' and you will have no problems with orientation!

ooh, and one more strange thing i noticed... altough my elevator is 45* (as much as fuse openings allow), i cant get that growling, fuse tearing KE spin, wich was trademark for me on all 3dhs planes... all i can do is make plane do like 50cm circles in a KE attitude...
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
but the best idea wich requires no recowering is ''FLY LOW' and you will have no problems with orientation!

ooh, and one more strange thing i noticed... altough my elevator is 45* (as much as fuse openings allow), i cant get that growling, fuse tearing KE spin, wich was trademark for me on all 3dhs planes... all i can do is make plane do like 50cm circles in a KE attitude...
From what I've heard, few planes can spin like 3dhs and EF planes... but I'm reserving judgement until I get mine in the air. I'm not at that build step yet, but I will definitely cut away balsa to allow more elevator deflection if the fuse seems to be restricting it.

CG may be a factor for you also. Are you at "neutral"?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
soo..im just back from maiden...

one thing really creeps me out about this plane... im using 13x6.5 and even than every time i pulse throttle up, plane really dips left wing (torquing?) on a punch out moment, altough when speed is estabilished, it flies straight and true(nothing i couldnt blame on my fingers or would feel uncomfortable dealing with) only on punchh out moment...

with this prop, motor came down barely warm even after 3 non stop flights so if not the torquing, i would definetely try a 14x7..
What brand prop are you using? Torque roll effects really have as much to do with the weight of the spinning disc as the diameter. So you may find an APC 13x6.5 would have more torque effect than say a Xoar or Vox 14x7, since they are a lighter prop.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Just added some top-bottom differential aid!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Another view
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:53 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
What brand prop are you using? Torque roll effects really have as much to do with the weight of the spinning disc as the diameter. So you may find an APC 13x6.5 would have more torque effect than say a Xoar or Vox 14x7, since they are a lighter prop.
Actually the weight of the prop makes no difference at all to how much torque there is. It's the motor that produces torque, not the prop

A heavier prop may produce more gyroscopic effect (gyroscopic procession) and may be a little slower to spool up.. but torque wont change.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Actually the weight of the prop makes no difference at all to how much torque there is. It's the motor that produces torque, not the prop

A heavier prop may produce more gyroscopic effect (gyroscopic procession) and may be a little slower to spool up.. but torque wont change.
Yep, quite aware of that. Just wanted to keep the terminology the same for the poster despite his terminology being wrong.

Doesn't change the result though, all else being equal two discs of the same size but different weights the heavier one will produce a greater reaction from the airframe.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:14 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,956 Posts
Quote:
From what I've heard, few planes can spin like 3dhs and EF planes... but I'm reserving judgement until I get mine in the air. I'm not at that build step yet, but I will definitely cut away balsa to allow more elevator deflection if the fuse seems to be restricting it.

CG may be a factor for you also. Are you at "neutral"?
The AMR does really tight and violent KE spins without cutting to allow for more than 45 of deflection on the elevator. Watch some of the MRC Mafia videos, can't remember off hand which of the videos has the best KE spin footage but I'll go through them and post a link later

RC Oasis 3 - The 3D Democracy (23 min 15 sec)
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by demonGti; Apr 05, 2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added vimeo link
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:54 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,560 Posts
Quote:
That will be VERY HELPFUL! I found the red ultimate difficult to differentiate. I added a LARGE stripe on the bottom because the two small stripes were not enough.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:15 PM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Doug,

Yes exactly right. the manual even tells you about it, see 'Flight trimming' on page 19:

about 5mm down at the TE of the elevator should get you close for the maiden. personally i think that PA should have adjusted the angle of the tail slot to give the required 'down elevator' while having the actual elevator set straight relative to the fixed part of the tail. i actually thought of cutting the tail out and adjusting but then i decided it was too much work. If I was building a new one today that's exactly what i would do though.

Just another AMR quirk, it takes nothing away from the flying performance.

Steve

PS.. and it's nothing to so with the drag of the upper wing
Thanks Steve.
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
All finished with the build. Just have to balance her out and mark the spot.
I cut away a fair amount of balsa that was restricting elevator movement. I'm getting a TON now! :-)