HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I saw on another PA thread that someone had epoxied the motor's cross mount to the front face of the firewall using the two 25mm centre holes that line up to locate. He then drilled through the non standard bolt holes using the cross mount as a pattern. The bolts then go right through the cross mount and plate with the countersunk heads sitting in the recesses in the cross mount. This spreads the load into the mount plate, and makes it bullet proof.. A really neat idea.
Dude! That sounds exactly how I'd like to set mine up. Any idea where I can look to find the pics/info?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:54 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1907
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
thanks very much!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:25 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
742 Posts
Motor box mod

Well I received my components in the mail today to revive my AMR, only a week to get here from Australia, wow, it takes things at least 2wks to get here when I order other things from the US? Weird...
Anyways this time I did the motor box mods with the supplied glass cloth it comes with, motor hopefully won't come out again this time!
Now its time to install the new thrust 40. Who hoo
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:11 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
Well I received my components in the mail today to revive my AMR, only a week to get here from Australia, wow, it takes things at least 2wks to get here when I order other things from the US? Weird...
Anyways this time I did the motor box mods with the supplied glass cloth it comes with, motor hopefully won't come out again this time!
Now its time to install the new thrust 40. Who hoo
When I ordered from Australia it took 4 days!!!!!
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:34 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,314 Posts
Quote:
Can someone explain this to me? I feel dimwitted but just can't grasp what was done?

Did he just add the x brace and drill through or was thee something more?

Did he plug the old holes?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:01 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Can someone explain this to me? I feel dimwitted but just can't grasp what was done?

Did he just add the x brace and drill through or was thee something more?

Did he plug the old holes?
As i read it it's exactly as per your description.... He just epoxied on the X-mount on and re drilled the two holes that didnt align. The x-mount re-distributes stress away from the area where the holes are. Plugging the old holes in itself is really not achieving anything very usefull because the glue in the hole doesnt add any significant strength.

I'm sure this mod could be used instead of motor box glassing for those who dont like the mess and fuss of working with resin and glass. In fact I very much suspect it would be stronger than glassing.
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Apr 03, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
My bipe arrives today!!! Very excited to start building tonight, and hopefully have her ready for first flight this weekend.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
just do yourself a favour and get normal sized screw drive for cabane struts... all my hands was painful from doing that with tiny tiny screwdriver....

i have almost finished assembly, i decided to go with thrust40 and added hacker x55, and mg65 wich i had lying around... i guess i added a touch of too much epoxy on one side of firewall and now my motor is not 100% flush with firewall... should i just dremel it out? or fly like that? there is like 2mm gap between motor and firewall..
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
i guess i added a touch of too much epoxy on one side of firewall and now my motor is not 100% flush with firewall... should i just dremel it out? or fly like that? there is like 2mm gap between motor and firewall..[/QUOTE]

Didi you remove the circlip from the motor before mounting?
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guru View Post
i guess i added a touch of too much epoxy on one side of firewall and now my motor is not 100% flush with firewall... should i just dremel it out? or fly like that? there is like 2mm gap between motor and firewall..
Didi you remove the circlip from the motor before mounting?[/QUOTE]

woops... that aswwell...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
If the motor is sitting skewed over then you really need to fix it otherwise the stock thrust angles will be out of kilter which could really mess up the handling..

The epoxy is probably just catching the edge of the motor and you might not need to remove very much to allow it to sit flat.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:20 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
My bipe arrives today!!! Very excited to start building tonight, and hopefully have her ready for first flight this weekend.
You will have to work hard to have it ready for the weekend, the AMR needs a few more hours spending on it than most other ARF's

Weather has gone crazy here so no idea when i'll get the chance to fly next. 9 days ago we had the hottest March day ever recorded in these parts at 23 C (73 F), no wind, perfect conditions (dare I hope for a epic summer?).
Today I wake up to freezing temperatures high wind and 6" of snow, had to dig my thermals back out and scrape the ice and snow off the car
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
If the motor is sitting skewed over then you really need to fix it otherwise the stock thrust angles will be out of kilter which could really mess up the handling..

The epoxy is probably just catching the edge of the motor and you might not need to remove very much to allow it to sit flat.

would hot soldering iron help?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
would hot soldering iron help?
Remove the circlip and test fit your T40 again before resorting to removing epoxy with a dremel or iron.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL