SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
now...cutting the covering out... is there some more things needing to be beefed up except motor box? for me landing gear area seems pretty weak...
The LG mount is actually pretty strong and very well designed IMO.
The load is spread across a wide area using those CF tubes making it nice and solid.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Dec 2006
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
They make that stuff un standard on purpose! That way you "have" to buy theirs. Just one more PITA....
Lol, there are actually quite few motors with the same 25x25 bolt pattern.
Most 37mm OD motors are like this in fact.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:27 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,909 Posts
      • Main LG is ROCK SOLID
      • Grass landing is no issue at all for included wheels as the plane is so light
      • tail wheel is wimpy and MUST be modded to function properly. Search thread for great solutions
      • battery access MUST be modded BEFORE you build. Search thread for solutions. Wheel worth the trouble.
      • Motor mounting plate MUST be fiber glassed. This is a design flaw they discovered after it went to market and they have stubbornly not fixed it
      • altering motor box for standard motor is not recommended as it is weak to begin with. If you do it buy some wood dowel and epoxy into existing holes. Glass the plate and re-drill the holes. I think you only have to re-drill two holes.
      • Bipes have weird coupling issues and you must set up proper mixing. Don' forget aileron differential. PITA to do but WELL WORTH IT!
      • Also take the time to set up proper CG. NECESSITY!
This plane has some severe issues from the manufacturer. The Motor box issue is a design flaw and should have been fixed by PA long ago. The hinges work well but eventually get lose. But all hinges fail eventually. But despite all the bad issues, once you get it flying it is THE BEST Bipe in its class, hands down! It is also one of my FAVORITE planes. It is well worth the trouble even though PA should have long since responded to these issues and fixed them.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Lol, there are actually quite few motors with the same 25x25 bolt pattern.
Most 37mm OD motors are like this in fact.
Did not know that. Can you post so links? I would like to find some sources
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Dec 2006
2,015 Posts
Quote:
If the motor in question is 35mm OD then most likely it will have a 25x18mm bolt pattern... with exceptions of course. But generally most 37mm and up should have 25x25mm PCD.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
If the motor in question is 35mm OD then most likely it will have a 25x18mm bolt pattern... with exceptions of course. But generally most 37mm and up should have 25x25mm PCD.
i guess i just made myself a dumb"$s... does motor has to be mounted using a motor x-mount or it has to mount straight to firewall with no x-mount?? just im first time dealing with mounting motor BEHIND a firewall...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Dec 2006
2,015 Posts
Quote:
i guess i just made myself a dumb"$s... does motor has to be mounted using a motor x-mount or it has to mount straight to firewall with no x-mount?? just im first time dealing with mounting motor BEHIND a firewall...
No X-mount required... the motor bolts up directly against your newly laid glass reinforcing . Make sure there is no circlip in the way to fowl against the firewall, take it off.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
      • Grass landing is no issue at all for included wheels as the plane is so light

come on! i have had a foamy with same size wheels and it was a PITA to land without bending lg... and here lg will NOT bend...
      • tail wheel is wimpy and MUST be modded to function properly. Search thread for great solutions
        i guess for the beginning ill stick with current one, and for later im eyeing EF carbon tailwheel...
      • battery access MUST be modded BEFORE you build. Search thread for solutions. Wheel worth the trouble.
        must?? it gives just easier battery access... and since on all my planes i seem to have batteries under cowling... well, lets see about that...
      • Motor mounting plate MUST be fiber glassed. This is a design flaw they discovered after it went to market and they have stubbornly not fixed it
        well i didnt see included fibreglass cloth so i was complaining! found it, will do glassing!
      • Bipes have weird coupling issues and you must set up proper mixing. Don' forget aileron differential. PITA to do but WELL WORTH IT!
        well, does it really have SO veird copling?
      • Also take the time to set up proper CG. NECESSITY!
        manual states that even 2mm cg move has completely different flying characteristic! is it really so?? on 3dhs planes i could move battery quite a lot before feeeling something outside KE....
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:54 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
No X-mount required... the motor bolts up directly against your newly laid glass reinforcing . Make sure there is no circlip in the way to fowl against the firewall, take it off.
HA! you just saved me 80$! :P thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
The hinges work well but eventually get lose. But all hinges fail eventually.
Quote:
elevator? hinged with a something that looks like a selotape?? on a 200+ airplane?? alerons? i cant really understand how they are hinged but at least they look double-side sealed so im ok with that...
Demon, Dead, et. al,

Would I be well served to scrap the film hinges and install some CA hinges EF/3DHS style from the start?

Thanks!

-Gyro
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Demon, Dead, et. al,

Would I be well served to scrap the film hinges and install some CA hinges EF/3DHS style from the start?

Thanks!

-Gyro
Gary, it will be more work than it is worth. The hinges on my red AMR never failed, and it flew for a few years before I toasted it.
The wood here is also quite thin and that is probably the reason why the iron on hinges were used to start with.
I'd fly it like it is and just enjoy the plane. The sooner you get it flying the sooner you will see what all these AMR nutters are on about
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Gary, it will be more work than it is worth. The hinges on my red AMR never failed, and it flew for a few years before I toasted it.
The wood here is also quite thin and that is probably the reason why the iron on hinges were used to start with.
I'd fly it like it is and just enjoy the plane. The sooner you get it flying the sooner you will see what all these AMR nutters are on about
Thanks for the advice. Delivery is scheduled for next wednesday, so hopefully I can have her ready to go for weekend flying.
I will have to do the firewall mod being discussed, as I have a 25mm x 19mm on my motor.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
ooh... and dont forget some plywood doublers for aeleron servos if you are using 65mg... >.< my frst and last PA plane except the case if they come out with a BIG ultimate... i simply prefer NOT to mod anything out of the box...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,748 Posts
Quote:
just a few pages back i posted some motors i've found to fit the standard mount holes:

Here's what i've tried and found to fit:
  • Hacker A30-14L
  • Torque 2814L/820
  • Emax 2820/07
  • Motrolfly DM2820/950

There must be plenty of others.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
I will have to do the firewall mod being discussed, as I have a 25mm x 19mm on my motor.
I saw on another PA thread that someone had epoxied the motor's cross mount to the front face of the firewall using the two 25mm centre holes that line up to locate. He then drilled through the non standard bolt holes using the cross mount as a pattern. The bolts then go right through the cross mount and plate with the countersunk heads sitting in the recesses in the cross mount. This spreads the load into the mount plate, and makes it bullet proof.. A really neat idea.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer