Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
ooh... and one more thing.... isnt 130g or equivalent motor...overkill? seing that weight is 38 oz or like 3oz heavier than my 42" slick where i run 72g omega on 11x5... 3dhs recomends 13xsomething props on 48" planes but here a 14" prop on 40" plane? isnt that overkill? how about torquing? well, im wondering/asking because apart from omega where i have to look for collet adaptor, i have hacker a30-16m... all winter i ran it in my 48" with 13x6.5 with no problems or complaints...

p.s. not to start flaming, i have flown only 3dhs and telink planes... so thats what has been making my opinion so far...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
ooh... and one more thing.... isnt 130g or equivalent motor...overkill? seing that weight is 38 oz or like 3oz heavier than my 42" slick where i run 72g omega on 11x5... 3dhs recomends 13xsomething props on 48" planes but here a 14" prop on 40" plane? isnt that overkill? how about torquing? well, im wondering/asking because apart from omega where i have to look for collet adaptor, i have hacker a30-16m... all winter i ran it in my 48" with 13x6.5 with no problems or complaints...

p.s. not to start flaming, i have flown only 3dhs and telink planes... so thats what has been making my opinion so far...
its a 40" biplane though, which equates out to bigger in monowing terms. 3dhs recommends 14" props on their 48" planes for full performance...you can run them off a 13x6.5 but just like the AMR the plane flies much much better on a 14x7. The a30-16m could work but this plane fits much better with a a30-12l or 14l (thats what i am running)
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
ehh..well, guess ill just have to experiment... and find what i like..
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
That's the great thing about T40... it's a proven winner.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Back on post #5769 I noted that my motor and prop left the plane in rather messy manner, destroying the motor box and cowl and Motor! Well that was back in the fall so I put it up for the winter, that bein said.... I am happy to announce I just ordered a new THRUST 40 and box /cowl parts last Sunday and am now patiently waiting for them to arrive and fly my AMR again! Can't wait!
Been staring at it all winter, and now that some nice weather has come I'm back in the mood.
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
Back on post #5769 I noted that my motor and prop left the plane in rather messy manner, destroying the motor box and cowl and Motor! Well that was back in the fall so I put it up for the winter, that bein said.... I am happy to announce I just ordered a new THRUST 40 and box /cowl parts last Sunday and am now patiently waiting for them to arrive and fly my AMR again! Can't wait!
Been staring at it all winter, and now that some nice weather has come I'm back in the mood.
Same happened to me but with a 4 cell. That was 6 mths ago. After repairs and epoxy and glass she's still good,flying with a 1300 Nano 4s.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:24 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
just unpacked ultimate... and altough its quite nice, im kinda dissapointed... >.< (im a 3dhs fanboy)

elevator? hinged with a something that looks like a selotape?? on a 200+ airplane?? alerons? i cant really understand how they are hinged but at least they look double-side sealed so im ok with that...
wheels?? compared to 3dhs... they look like a foamy wheels and i will definetely NOT use them because i fly off the grass and so there goes my nice wheelpants... >.<

what about motor box? do it HAS to be glassed or maybe just epoxied? or CAed?

apart from that im quite happy... looks definetely nice!
apart from that... plane definetely looks NICE!! and i have allways wanted a bipe in balsa
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:34 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
ooh... and a couple of questions...

manual reccomends epoxying control horns... is it because they are CF? or CA will work aswell?

and about motor... firewall looks SO flimsy, if you guys are NOT using thrust motor, how do you redrill the firewall? cause i tried omega, and hacker and they are not working...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
rimaarts, rather take the time to glass the motor mount. It's like a free insurance policy... without glass you do run the risk of the motor breaking free from things like an unbalanced prop, a prop strike etc.
I've used epoxy on the control horns of all my PA planes without any issues whatsoever. That said, i'm sure if you rough the CF first you probably will be fine to use CA.
On drilling the motor mount, it is not recommended as it WILL weaken the plate.
So if you are going to use a motor that does not line up and you drill new holes, that is all the more reason to glass the motor mount or you will be just asking for trouble considering the torque effect from a 14x7
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:13 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Ehh... So another bunch of money to finish a plane... to find fibreglass cloth, buy epoxy and maybe thrust 40 ..... If it wouldnt be a bipe, i'd be very sad...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
Ehh... So another bunch of money to finish a plane... to find fibreglass cloth, buy epoxy and maybe thrust 40 ..... If it wouldnt be a bipe, i'd be very sad...
The AMR is a beauty though, and it is a fantastic model to fly. Without a doubt the best bipe in its class. Is there not a packet in your kit with a little piece of glass cloth and an addendum?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:59 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
oooh! if there is a fibreglass included, i would be a bit happier!

ooooh, wait! there is! thanks!

so from now, my only real complaint is that motor mount is somehow un-standart... (unstandart for me meant = hacker or omega does NOT fit out of box... )
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:18 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
They make that stuff un standard on purpose! That way you "have" to buy theirs. Just one more PITA....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
The AMR is a beauty though, and it is a fantastic model to fly.
and...apple does the same but people love apple!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:43 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
now...cutting the covering out... is there some more things needing to be beefed up except motor box? for me landing gear area seems pretty weak...