HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:39 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
...On the last pack of the day (isn't it always on the last pack) I was doing some low rolling harrier circles at about 10', quite close in. I just lost concentration for a moment in the third quarter of the circle, and found myself just about 1/4 of a roll behind in the stick movements. Ė (I actually find the AMR to require quite an advanced input to maintain a straight line in a roller for some reason), but anyway - I froze, and pushed out inverted (correct), then for some reason tried to pull into upright again from about 10' (incorrect). The result is best described in the pictures, but the whole area that locates the top and bottom wings, firewall, rear fuselage and battery tray is matchsticks. Both wings are damaged at their mount points too.

I don't think I'll try and repair this one. At least not right away. Overnight I removed all the components and am thinking about my next 3D airplane. I did very much enjoy the AMR for as long as I had it. It was a fragile and temperamental beast, but when it was on song, was quite an honest flyer. Very light on the wings and quite nice straight lines as well for such a small plane. Iíve always been impressed by the power system with so much on tap it really makes people question if itís more than a little 3S 2200 in there. I still have the motor etc, so am wondering what it would fit nicely into.

Anyway, on to better things...

Sub
Real bummer Sub .

Assuming you can reverse the shaft in the PA motor, how about you put the gear into a Skywing 48" MXS?
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,350 Posts
Come on GJ there is no comparison. I know which one I'd rather be flying at the field.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:27 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,053 Posts
Two totally different planes, but I already have the 48" yak from Skywing. It is amazing and has taught me more about 3D than any single plane I've ever flown.

Never seen a bandit in the flesh, but to be honest I think it looks a little cartoonish, with those massive wings and tiny body. I think it might just fly a little *too* light, more like an indoor foamy than a real airplane? I dunno though, never seen one fly.

Maybe a 3DHS slick (or HK) in around the 51" size would fly OK on the PA setup? Neither would have any of the vices of the AMR bipe, and both would certainly be a little less fragile?

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:34 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,380 Posts
Sorry about the crash sub, you certainly did a real number on it

In other news I did my first harrier landing yesterday It was forced because I went flying on a nearby piece of rough ground with nowhere decent to land. I thought I could pit it down on the narrow foot path that cut through the field but as the wind picked up blowing crosswind to the path I thought an attempt at a harrier landing into the rough grass area was a safer bet.
It was really a non-event.. Just point it into wind pull back on the stick and it hovered stationary into the stiff breeze in a harrier about 20ft up. Reduce throttle and it descended gently, chop the throttle about a foot up (to save the prop) and it just plopped into the long rough grass soft as you like.

I did three flights that way, great fun!

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:04 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,380 Posts
Quote:
Maybe a 3DHS slick (or HK) in around the 51" size would fly OK on the PA setup? Neither would have any of the vices of the AMR bipe, and both would certainly be a little less fragile?

Sub.
Sub,

I have the HK Slick. i'm generally happy with it but it is (in my hands at least) less stable in a harrier than some. Better 3D flyers than me seem to handle it fine but I struggle with it in a harrier compared to my EF Edge or my AMR. I ended up crashing due to this instability and discovered that the fuselage is actually quite fragile, a low speed crash ended up busting the fus pretty much in half. It's repairable but it does appear to be a weakness, of course if you dont crash it's not an issue For the price it's worth considering though.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:28 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Two totally different planes, but I already have the 48" yak from Skywing. It is amazing and has taught me more about 3D than any single plane I've ever flown.

Never seen a bandit in the flesh, but to be honest I think it looks a little cartoonish, with those massive wings and tiny body. I think it might just fly a little *too* light, more like an indoor foamy than a real airplane? I dunno though, never seen one fly.

Sub.
Not a chance Sub... its nowhere near a foamy. I find it less "floaty" than the AMR but it does have a rather long glide on landing approach unless you harrier the bird in.
I've had the Skywing MXS... yes a fun plane to bash around, but it has nothing on the Bandit... totally different league.
The AMR is actually not as fragile as it looks. PA's fiberfusion goes a long way to strengthen the airframe. Mine made contact with terra firma a few times including a cartwheel once with only superficial damage.
I can't be without an AMR in my hangar... my new green one will be airborne soon
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:41 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
why, cause I bash the crap out of the HK Slick junker?

Great... I'm getting reputation...
The word is you are Perez Hilton of the RC world
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
Quote:

Sub.
amr power system is too small. i would suggest the 3dhs 48" edge, extra shp, or super vyper. that is assuming you can reverse the shaft and put a X mount on the thrust 40
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:54 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Sub,

I have the HK Slick. i'm generally happy with it but it is (in my hands at least) less stable in a harrier than some. Better 3D flyers than me seem to handle it fine but I struggle with it in a harrier compared to my EF Edge or my AMR. I ended up crashing due to this instability and discovered that the fuselage is actually quite fragile, a low speed crash ended up busting the fus pretty much in half. It's repairable but it does appear to be a weakness, of course if you dont crash it's not an issue For the price it's worth considering though.
I hear the 51" Silck is, well, very Slick!

BUT if you want a 3D plane that harriers in your sleep, the ABSOLUTELY best one in this size is the EF 48" Edge. It lies so well in post stall they call it the 3D cheater. If you can not harrier that plane with no wing rock you simply will never be able to do it

Thrust 40 may or may not be up to the job. You would need to reverse the shaft and fly it on 4s with a minimum prop size of 12 x 6". It will fly on 3s but it really WANTS to be on 4S. You need to be able to get at LEAST 650 watts out of it.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
that is assuming you can reverse the shaft and put a X mount on the thrust 40
Just had a look at my T40. Reversing the shaft is easy, but finding an X mount wont be so simple. The T40 bolt holes are on a really strange 25mm PCD, none of my X mounts will fit it. I would have to make a special one.

Holy cr@p just noticed the price of the Bandit as well. More than the AMR, and in AUD!
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,282 Posts
I put my AMR power system into the Addiction X- IMO it is still one of the most unique flying planes out there.

But the X is a totally different animal than the AMR, I found I dont fly it with the same high energy style as the bipe, X is a floater
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:02 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,716 Posts
Just get another AMR? It really is one of my favorites
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
The word is you are Perez Hilton of the RC world
Nah... I may be "Spikey" but I certainly do not play for the other team

On another note, many thanks to Michael Wargo helping me decide on the Ultimate AMR, and giving me the final "nudge" to hit the "confirm order" button.
You all from the HK Slick thread might think he gets excited talking about the HK Slick, but get him started on a PA plane and he won't shut up!
Seriously, thanks Michael for taking the time and replying to my silly questions.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,716 Posts
Gyro,
You will love this plane! It has a couple of quirky habits that are inherent to a biplane. But it really is a great plane! Fast and hard tumbler all the way down to backyard harrier in a 50' circle!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:05 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
'I can't be without an AMR in my hangar... my new green one will be airborne soon '

Great, another green one...
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Last edited by cepheus; Mar 26, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: forgot quote thingies