SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you measure the 59.5 at the wing root or wing tip? I seem to recall that the AMR CG measurement was at the wing tip of the upper wing, so it would be much longer if measured at the wing root. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Measured from the wing root,
Thanks,Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
everything i been told since i started flying is that CG machines are a waste of money...set the battery where the plane flies and then adjust it to your liking
Been flying for years but i could not get this bad wing rock out of my extra mx. I like to do landing harriers and I just could not get the wing rock out. Someone told me that it had to be my cg. Measured it today with the cg machine but have not had a change to get her in the air yet. CG machine had me move the batteries in the mx back about 1/2 inch. Hope it works.

Thanks,Eric
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
Measured from the wing root,
Thanks,Eric
Pretty sure the AMR is measured at the wing tip.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
It is. No wonder it's coming out tail heavy. Measure from the tips and try again.

sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:18 PM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you measure the 59.5 at the wing root or wing tip? I seem to recall that the AMR CG measurement was at the wing tip of the upper wing, so it would be much longer if measured at the wing root. Someone correct me if I am wrong
My brand new manual says, "The center of gravity range is 57-62mm measured from the leading edge at the top wing tip".
MalaysianFlyer, you have an amazing memory. Must still be under age 50.
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
524 Posts
I was looking forward to the replies to the CG question with a lot of interest since I just finished building my RED AMR. But I find that I have to move the battery almost halfway off the back of the battery tray to ALMOST hit the 59.5 mark.

Then I read someone who I think has lots of experiance with PA planes say he moved his battery all the way forward for the plane to fly good.

I'm new to bipes so I don't know if the coupling I'm getting is from CG or from the upper wing. I keep hearing this has no coupling but with the CG as it is, I have to trim down elevator which causes a big push on KE, which I guess I can mix out. But I'd rather get the CG right THEN mix any coupling out.

TIA

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
I was looking forward to the replies to the CG question with a lot of interest since I just finished building my RED AMR. But I find that I have to move the battery almost halfway off the back of the battery tray to ALMOST hit the 59.5 mark.

Then I read someone who I think has lots of experiance with PA planes say he moved his battery all the way forward for the plane to fly good.

I'm new to bipes so I don't know if the coupling I'm getting is from CG or from the upper wing. I keep hearing this has no coupling but with the CG as it is, I have to trim down elevator which causes a big push on KE, which I guess I can mix out. But I'd rather get the CG right THEN mix any coupling out.

TIA

Vincent
Not to be a smart A$$ but did you read the manual?
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
524 Posts
Yes, I know the manual has mentioned some of my issues but have you ever known manuals to be 100% correct all the time? End users sometimes find a better way of doing something OTHER than what the manual states. Just polling the user base to see if someone has something helpful to input.
Last edited by vhuang168; Nov 28, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:01 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I know the manual has mentioned some of my issues but have you ever known manuals to be 100% correct all the time? End users sometimes find a better way of doing something OTHER than what the manual states. Just polling the user base to see if someone has something helpful to input.
PA spend a lot of time in creating clear and accurate manuals.
If your CG is good and you've setup your mixes on your TX as the manual suggests you shouldn't have any issues.
( the text in the control mixes section is correct ... however there is a typo in the picture headings; Typical Example of Rudder-Aileron Mix (7% down elevator) should be "up" )
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Last edited by demonGti; Nov 28, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:31 AM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
wow! You are correct. I had balanced 2 other planes yesterday and both were from wing root. Must have read through the amr manual too fast.
Thanks,Eric
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by full flaps View Post
My brand new manual says, "The center of gravity range is 57-62mm measured from the leading edge at the top wing tip".
MalaysianFlyer, you have an amazing memory. Must still be under age 50.
Wasn't difficult to remember considering its the only plane I have come across that takes the CG measurement at the wing tip LOL
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Vincent,

If you need to move your battery that far back then I'm guessing you have used a heavier motor or ESC (or spinner) that those recommended? Best to remove some weight from the nose it that's possible?

The manual position is pretty close but personally i found i needed to be at the forward end of that range or even slightly ahead to produce neutral handling (i.e. fly hands off inverted). Dont beleive it when the manual says there is no coupling, there is nose down pitch coupling in KE. The manual says something like 7% down (should read up).. but i needed 18% up. If i moved the CG back to the middle of the recommended range I needed 20%.

Perhaps different Tx's handle mixing 5 in different ways?.. Start with the numbers as per manual but be prepared to adjust.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
524 Posts
Steve,

It is built with the IPS drive so everything is as recommended. Except the battery which is about 20g heavier than the PA one.

CF spinner, Vox 14x7 prop. Not much else I can do to remove weight except maybe remove the spinner n get a lighter battery.

I've had to put in 13% up elev for KE with the CG at 58mm. But inverted takes a fair amount of up to maintain level flight.

Guess I'll play around with cg by moving/changing battery then do the KE mix.

Thanks for the input

Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Vincent,

If you need to move your battery that far back then I'm guessing you have used a heavier motor or ESC (or spinner) that those recommended? Best to remove some weight from the nose it that's possible?

The manual position is pretty close but personally i found i needed to be at the forward end of that range or even slightly ahead to produce neutral handling (i.e. fly hands off inverted). Dont beleive it when the manual says there is no coupling, there is nose down pitch coupling in KE. The manual says something like 7% down (should read up).. but i needed 18% up. If i moved the CG back to the middle of the recommended range I needed 20%.

Perhaps different Tx's handle mixing 5 in different ways?.. Start with the numbers as per manual but be prepared to adjust.

Steve
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2004
17 Posts
Hi may I know is there any soft copy version of AMR manual available online? Bought an used AMR last night but it doesn't comes with any manual
kyoshooo is offline Find More Posts by kyoshooo
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshooo View Post
Hi may I know is there any soft copy version of AMR manual available online? Bought an used AMR last night but it doesn't comes with any manual
nope, Pa doesnt publish any of their manuals online
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102