6,317 Posts
Ha!!!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:27 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,784 Posts
In regards to break in, I dont do much special.

I will charge at 1c-2c the first 5 or so charges, after that, I hook 'em up and start pouring on the mAh's. All discharges during these periods, I do on an aircraft. usually I do use something like my PA Katana MD and fly all those flights without exceeding more than 3/4 throttle, just takin it easy.

I usually set my timers on the early side during this period, and typically will not discharge past 40-50%.

I dont know if this is right/wrong/ or ugly; but it has worked for me. I really dont know where I picked up these habbits, and have no idea if they are good practices or not.

My nanos are still going strong though after over a year of high amp charging them
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:40 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,317 Posts
Thanks.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:45 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,861 Posts
I'd like to hear from someone who could explain why you would "break in" a battery. Is there really any measurable benefit and why?
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:46 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I'd like to hear from someone who could explain why you would "break in" a battery. Is there really any measurable benefit and why?
Well, it's easy to see why really. When you first get your batt from the factory it's had no experience with the world so by braking it in gently your building it's muscles up, kind of like exercising. If you look carfully you can see them develop. They also behave better if you put a piece of masking tape on them with their date of birth and number or name.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:17 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
I'm unaware of any logical reason to 'break-in' batteries.. Seems like an urban myth to me but i stand to be corrected if anyone can come up with any manufacturers guidance to say it's of any benifit.

Also I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to restrict drain to 50% of capacity in order to get a reasonable life out of my batteries. If that really is the case I'd feel cheated. Even if it's true I'd sooner fly for longer and replace my batteries a bit more often.

What does seem to make a difference to the longevity of batteries is storing them fully charged, that appaears to cause them to puff, even the Nano's.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Nov 02, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:33 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
truefully i know its bad but i store mine usually fully charged never had a puffing issue yet. The biggest reason i see batteries puff is when you use them in an application that demands high discharge and your C rating isnt high enough.

As far as breaking in your batteries, i think its more a piece of mind than anything. Lipo's have all but eliminated battery conditioning that was like a religion in the days of nimh and nicd
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
truefully i know its bad but i store mine usually fully charged never had a puffing issue yet. The biggest reason i see batteries puff is when you use them in an application that demands high discharge and your C rating isnt high enough.

As far as breaking in your batteries, i think its more a piece of mind than anything. Lipo's have all but eliminated battery conditioning that was like a religion in the days of nimh and nicd
+1 to all that
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Never broken in my lipos, but I have broken a few before LOL
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Most experts advise a storage voltage of between 3.7 to 3.8V per cell if you are not going to use them for an extended period.

It will shorten the batteries life if you store it fully charged, but if you don't care, it don't matter

sub.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:01 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Most experts advise a storage voltage of between 3.7 to 3.8V per cell if you are not going to use them for an extended period.

It will shorten the batteries life if you store it fully charged, but if you don't care, it don't matter

sub.
What does "extended period of time" mean exactly, one week, two weeks, a month, or more?
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:22 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,861 Posts
I met a guy once that only ever charged his batteries at the field in the minutes leading up to flying in the belief that it was better for the batteries to be at storage chage unless they were about to be flown. I think that's a bit OTT.

Most people say that if you're not using it for some days, and you can find the time to bring the voltage level down, then do it. It suppose storage voltage is of most use to people who are retiring an aircraft, or people who live in cold climates puting their gear into winter storage.

sub
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:34 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,317 Posts
thx
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:36 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:

I always knew it was bad to leave them fully charged also, but used to do it anyway. Got away with it for a few years but as I moved from 15C & 20C to 30C I started noticing my bats would puff easier then I expected AND not last as many cycles. With 40C I puffed about 10 of the Nano Techs 40C batteries doing this.

What I've learned is with the higher C rated batteries you really want to leave them at a storage charge (ie 3.85v). It really isn't the pain it used to be since we can now charge at 5C or higher on most of these batteries. My routine now is to leave the batteries in storage charge. At the field use a fast charge at 5C to bring them up to 4.17ish (don't need to balance to 4.20).

During charge I'll check the end voltage and make sure the cells are within 0.01 of each other and if anything more then this I'll balance charge them to 4.20 to get them back in sync. Might only need to balance charge them once in 20 or so charges. Balance charging usually takes longer so only do it when you need to.

I used to sometimes charge in parallel but have found that is not an ideal way to charge batteries. For example even in "balance mode" charging two batteries in parallel the end voltage will be 4.20 but one battery might be 4.19 while the other is 4.21 which is VERY BAD. Seems to get worse the more batteries you charge at one time.

Since most of the batteries I used to parallel charge were 4 cells I created a balance adapter that takes the two balance tabs from the batteries and combines them into an 8s balance tab. So now instead of charging 4s I can charge at 8s with cell voltage protection from over charge. I did the same for 3s packs so I can charge 2 of them as a 6s pack. Of course it's only worth doing this if you are flying the packs in parallel and pulling down the packs the same.

The other key I've found to resist keeping your batteries charged is to invest in a couple more chargers. Decent 200 watt 6 cell chargers can be had these days for less then the cost of one 4s 4000 pack, so get a few chargers. Makes field charging fast and easy assuming you have the power to run them (another topic).

By leaving them in storage charge until getting ready to fly, PLUS only charging them to about 4.17, plus NOT parallel charging anymore all my batteries are now working like champs and I'm getting more cycles now then I ever have before (and still going).

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars