HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:54 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
Ive dont that a few times myself... its a costly mistake of not checking to make sure every thing is secured tight, after previous flights.

if using xoar or vox- $10
Adapter- $5-10
spinner-$10-30
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:28 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,335 Posts
So, V2's is the way to go on the batteries or have y'all had luck with the standard 3 cells?
HeeBeeGeeBee is online now Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:54 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
So, V2's is the way to go on the batteries or have y'all had luck with the standard 3 cells?
I don't know if they have improved them or not. But when the V2's first came out they were less than they were supposed to be. I don't use them anymore. Gens Ace seems to be the rage these days.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:03 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
I have also moved on from PA batts; to me nothing beats the nano-tech turnigeys in terms of charge rates, discharge rates, life cycle, and resistance to puffing.

I use mostly the 45-90C 2200mAh batteries capable of a 10c charge rate. I typically charge at around 12 amps in 8-12 minutes from 30% capacity depending on balance.

I hear they got new 65-130C discharge batteries out now as well
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:14 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,335 Posts
Thanks! I've been eyeballin' those Gens Ace and the Turnigey's for some time now. Batteries can eat your wallet alive I went with the PA batts with my Addy and they seemed fine. I'll give them all a test when I get her built and will report back.
HeeBeeGeeBee is online now Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:18 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
To that end, I will add that buying the nano-techs (in combination with a high-end charger and decent power supply) have been one of the most economical decisions I have made.

I can take all my 3 cell 2200 planes to the field with me and only have 2 batteries for nonstop flying it takes me longer to discharge my batteries and change packs than it does for me to charge a battery. So gone are the days where I need to go to the field with an ammo can full of batteries. I never buy more than 2 batteries of any size... my 6s 4000's take a bit longer at 15 mins.

I have found no swelling or loss of life after a year of hard use and several crashes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:53 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,866 Posts
I remember paying $65 for my first PA battery, an 1800mah, back in the day. PA don't sell the 1800 any more, but still want $50 for a 2200 3 cell. I was unable to tell the difference between my PA V2 pack and the much cheaper cells I had. Can there really be that much of a difference, or do PA have their head in the sand?

sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:11 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
To that end, I will add that buying the nano-techs (in combination with a high-end charger and decent power supply) have been one of the most economical decisions I have made.

I can take all my 3 cell 2200 planes to the field with me and only have 2 batteries for nonstop flying it takes me longer to discharge my batteries and change packs than it does for me to charge a battery. So gone are the days where I need to go to the field with an ammo can full of batteries. I never buy more than 2 batteries of any size... my 6s 4000's take a bit longer at 15 mins.

I have found no swelling or loss of life after a year of hard use and several crashes.
x2 i have adopted this same line of thought. Even charging at 2c with smaller batteries there isnt any need for more batteries. Cant go wrong with turnigy's, skylipos, gens ace, nanotechs, and my newest battery has been the g-force packs from valuehobby.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:55 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Nano-techs are the best yet
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:24 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,319 Posts
You may want to take a look a this:

http://site.hobbypartz.com/battery/batterytest.htm
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:44 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
Nice charts; I have used Blue Lipos with mixed results. Of the two Blues I have, the 4s swelled slightly but remained a good performing lipo.... the other was a 5s that expanded like a balloon several flights in and was completely destroyed.

For the most part though, I do hear good things about Blues; unfortunately I have not found much success with them...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:49 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,319 Posts
Did you see where the Gens Ace were performing on par with the Thunder Powers?
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:41 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
I did; but I guess my point was missed.

I should elaborate. My point was basically that I dont trust any graphs or numbers other than what I can pull from my own data.

As much as I have heard the pros hold Thunder power in the highest regard, I have owned over half a dozen TP batteries and not one has ever maintained its performance over time as well as my Turnigey batteries. Every single TP I have ever owned, with the exception of one 2s460mah battery, swelled enough to make me feel uncomfortable to fly them...

To sum up my experience, I have never been impressed with TP so to say that another brand has comparable performance; well, that is not exactly putting it on a pedestal in my opinion. I should disclose that I have tried most every generation of TP battery through the 45c series. I have not yet experienced the 65c batteries; but because of my past history I have no interest in putting my money into their newer generations
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Nice charts; I have used Blue Lipos with mixed results. Of the two Blues I have, the 4s swelled slightly but remained a good performing lipo.... the other was a 5s that expanded like a balloon several flights in and was completely destroyed.

For the most part though, I do hear good things about Blues; unfortunately I have not found much success with them...
my experience with blues werent great either...they didnt provide as much pop as the same C gens ace battery and on top of that both my blues had the tabs rip out of the pack after about 6 months of use
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:11 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,319 Posts
Ah, Point well taken. For what it is worth, My turnigy, flightmax, and Zippy lipo experience has not been so great. Turnigy has been the best of them all, but even those seem to puff on me. However I do have two 2200 3s nano techs that are holding strong, so maybe that is the way to go.

I just bought a bunch of Gens Ace based partly on those graphs as well as the ravings of the guys in the EF threads. I will be putting them to use very shortly so I guess I will get some of my own data going on 'em.

BTW, what do you guys do with brand new packs? Is there any kind of "break in" regime you use?