SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:16 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
You must go through precisionaerobatics.com and click on their USA page and order through the website.

There are no other US retailers to the best of my knowledge.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...erobatics.html
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
I could be wrong, but I did not think PA still had a distribution agreement with Chief?

Looking at their site, they only have a few items and only one airplane for sale (AMR):
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c.../pa-parts.html

I would imagine, that like Atlanta Hobby, Chief has some parts in stock left over from before PA opened their US headquarters.

But it does not look like you can get new PA planes from Chief.

I am making an assumption based on what I have read and seen so do not take my statement as fact; would anyone from PA care to comment?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:36 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,061 Posts
I think you are correct that Chief is no longer a REAL dealer. But I put the AMR in my "shopping Cart" and it accepted it.... Of course I did not push buy as [I] was only testing...
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
I have read and met people who've recommended PA 3D planes, and so I am in the market for something that will take a 3S Li-Po 2100-2250mah's (I have collected a good amount from flying Helis).

Is it worthwhile to pursue this brand? The rarity is enticing, but not when it comes to spare parts or support. What would be comparible to the Ultimate AMR?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,061 Posts
Nothing out there is comparable to the AMR. Not in the same size range that is. The AMR is an awesome low and slow harrier and roller ship but then it will go to WILD with its ability to tumble as well. It is really a great plane. Your lipos are perfect for it.

I would also recommend the Katana MD. I am not a fan particularly of the Extra 260. It is just too twitchy for my taste. Others really like it though.

Parts are always available from PA USA, but their support has a checkered past with vastly different experiences being relayed.

Still the AMR is so unique as well as so incredibly awesome, I would say to get one regardless. One of my all time favorites.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
+1 to NOTHING flies like it

It is simply amazing, perfect size for transport without removing wings and jaw-dropping performance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,123 Posts
+2
Even if like me your 3D skills seriously suck, the AMR is still a really good fun plane to fly.

There a a couple of minor niggles like difficult battery access and poor tail wheel design but solution to these is simple and covered elsewhere in this thread.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:59 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
only have 1 and a half flights on my AMR and love it a ton, still super new to flying and it makes me look good. Still very happy i picked this one up when i did. Only tip that i have come across thus far that i can relay is buy a quality motor for it ie Hacker A30 or Thrust40 its worth the investment
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:23 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Had my thrust40 and prop leave the plane today in the air, destroying the motor box and cowl,and the motor/prop landed on a road nearby destroying the combo, if they landed in the field they would have been ok.Landed the plane safely though, although it was a little tail heavy.
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:34 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
That stinks Blood, I am sorry to hear that. Had you done anything to reinforce the motor mount (i.e. the suggested fiberglass motor mount reinforcement)?

Be sure to reinforce your next one. At the least, I generally paint my motor mount inside and out with either wood glue or epoxy. I have found that the newer models (Addiction-X, and presumably the Bandit) do not need this reinforcement, but the AMR with its high energy moves can definitely benefit from the extra precautionary step.

It is not a difficult repair, but it stinks to have to wait on a new motor mount. Did you cause any excessive damage to your firewall? DB just replaced his on his Ad-X, it may be beneficial to see how he reinforced his in posts #2425 and #2427 of the X thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...238405&page=25
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
I've had a whole season of flying on it already so I really can't complain, but having to buy a new motor is the killer. I didn't do any glassing, but I added some tri-stock and wood glue to all the joints, but I guess it just couldn't take it anymore.LOL
Thanks for the link to the ADX thread, I'll do more reinforcing also when I get the new motor box in the mail.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,123 Posts
Sorry about the motor box failure, it's a real pane that the motor got damaged. Did it fail around the motor mount plate? That seems to be the weak point. I reinforced mine with some lightweight carbon cloth; probably overkill but it should be bomb proof now.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
The motor mount plate center section was still attached to the motor when I found it, so yes I would have to think it did fail around there.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I have read and met people who've recommended PA 3D planes, and so I am in the market for something that will take a 3S Li-Po 2100-2250mah's (I have collected a good amount from flying Helis).

Is it worthwhile to pursue this brand? The rarity is enticing, but not when it comes to spare parts or support. What would be comparible to the Ultimate AMR?
The AMR is a great little plane. And pretty exclusive as far as 3D Bipes of that size go. Just about every time I go to the field, especially if I am visiting somewhere new, someone comments on what a great looking model it is.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:22 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Looks like I've just joined the club!!!! The motor took off in 4 different directions. Using a 4 cell obviously helped in my nice new planes first taste of entropy. Managed to piece the mount to-gether and fixed with West system epoxy and glass. It wont happen again??? Waiting on a new cowl and spinner, fixing the damage to tail wheel and rudder.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus