Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:40 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
I'm surprised you can get a 4 cell battery in. A 3 cell 2200 only just fits below the cross braces.

What motor?

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:34 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
I got REALLY lucky today. Half way through the fourth flight of the day, i'd been practicing knife edge and inverted, and a few KE spins, but was just catching my breath with a lowish slow speed pass. Without warning the motor stops and i have no control

Nothing i could do but as the plane was well trimmed and flying with wings level and right into wind it just glided down reasonably gently. The soft grass helped too, only damage was that the U/C mounting screws pulled out.

Checking the model out I had no control of the servos, the control surfaces were just twitching away to themselves. Turns out one of the servos packed up and must have shorted out and caused the receiver to shut down After unplugging the bad servo everything else works fine.

Steve
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:30 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
I'm using the Thrust40 with a Turnigy Plush50 esc. Having issues with the carbon spinner it seems to vibrate a bit. Sounds like you had a lucky escape there.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:15 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
P.A. Ipa - motor stutters

I recall reading something about it, but did anyone ever come to a conclusion or solution for the stuttering problem associated with the P.A. Ipa system for the AMR? The problem is, when the throttle is reduced to zero, then brought back up to power, the motor stutters and hesitates before running back up.
Could be disasterous when performing low altitude 3D manuevers.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:51 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
Usually this is due to dodgy ESC (assuming bullets are properly soldered and connections are good).
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:13 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
I'll probably need to wade back through old posts on the subject, but it seems to me that there was a lot of controversy on this subject. At the time, I did not own an AMR with Ipa system and only scanned over the posts. Now that I own one and am having the problem myself, I'll pay closer attention. I recall one fellow who reworked his connections to no avail, and it was decided the problem lie elsewhere.

I agree with you, normally this suggests a bad ESC. I have another good 45AMP ESC I can try in place of the P.A. one to see if that solves the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Usually this is due to dodgy ESC (assuming bullets are properly soldered and connections are good).
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:18 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
for the guys running the hacker A30 motors, what are you using for screws? I just put the motor in as a test fit today but i noticed the screws seem way too short for me to feel comfortable and i would really like to add washers to them as well to spread the load on the motor plate
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:51 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
I just used some 3mm allen head screws that i had laying around, with big washers. I think the ones i used were 10mm long. i fitted the 3mm ply spacer that comes with the motor to prevent the circlip on the shaft catching on the motorbox mount plate.

Fitting the ply spacer also allows easy thrust line adjustment by sanding the spacer.
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Oct 09, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:27 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,287 Posts
I was satisfied with the factory thrust line built into the motor box and never thought about it after the build; did you have to make much of an adjustment?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:59 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
I increased right thrust by a couple of degrees. I found that with the stock thrustline she pulled to the left in the verticals, unless i held a bit of right rudder.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:06 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I got REALLY lucky today. Half way through the fourth flight of the day, i'd been practicing knife edge and inverted, and a few KE spins, but was just catching my breath with a lowish slow speed pass. Without warning the motor stops and i have no control

Nothing i could do but as the plane was well trimmed and flying with wings level and right into wind it just glided down reasonably gently. The soft grass helped too, only damage was that the U/C mounting screws pulled out.

Checking the model out I had no control of the servos, the control surfaces were just twitching away to themselves. Turns out one of the servos packed up and must have shorted out and caused the receiver to shut down After unplugging the bad servo everything else works fine.

Steve
Same thing happened to me when one of my HS5065mg's failed. Overloaded the BEC and no response. Luckily, mine was on the ground at the time.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:09 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
I recall reading something about it, but did anyone ever come to a conclusion or solution for the stuttering problem associated with the P.A. Ipa system for the AMR? The problem is, when the throttle is reduced to zero, then brought back up to power, the motor stutters and hesitates before running back up.
Could be disasterous when performing low altitude 3D manuevers.
Yep, My Quantum esc used to cause the T40 to stutter on startup, like as you describe. After a lot of trouble shooting with Shaun, they sent me a new ESC, which works perfect. I posted a video of the symptoms a while in this thread I think.

Swapping out components with known good ones will help, which in my case proved the ESC to be the problem.

sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Try and see if this helps http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5559
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:35 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Anyone know who in the USA sells the Ultimate AMR?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,287 Posts
You must go through precisionaerobatics.com and click on their USA page and order through the website.

There are no other US retailers to the best of my knowledge.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop