HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I love it; leave it to another GA boy to already know where all the Bass Pro Shops and Cabellas locations are nationwide

I did not know you were into that stuff Korey! We may have to go fishin one day before it gets too cold; I hear it is going into the 40's by tomorrow morning
lol thats just it i am not really into it....just grew up in jersey for the first 21yrs of my life....bass pro shops is still sort of a novelty to me since there is nothing like it up north.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
@Carlo~

If you want to find one local, check out your local Bait and Tackle store... ah, just saw your in NJ and there are probably not as many of those as we see here in GA Do you have a Bass Pro Shop?

Fisherman use scales, like the one above, to weigh their catch...
Got 3 within a mile of me plus I'm sure Walmart would have them in the fishing section also.

Carlo

PS I'm down south in Jersey near the Delaware Bay so fishing is pretty popular around here.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,435 Posts
It is a great tool to have in the bag, I never thought of it before the previous posts; I may pick one up before the re-maiden of my X...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:25 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Hi Guys

I finished the build of my AMR last night. Now just to wait for the wind to die down.

Specs (I'm going to get crucified for this):
- 4 x Corona 919MG servo's
- Turnigy Trust 55A ESC
- Topband AE3720-01A motor
- Rubber band tail wheel mod

Christo
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:30 AM
It's All About Having Fun!
Joined Jul 2008
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masehare View Post
...(I'm going to get crucified for this)...
LOL...just enjoy your AMR, you'll love her to give her a future upgrade
The Hitman is offline Find More Posts by The Hitman
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:53 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,686 Posts
Quote:
- Topband AE3720-01A motor
Christo,
What size prop are you using?.. the motor spec says 12" max. I'm pretty sure with an 850kv motor and a 12" prop you will be a little short on thrust for 3D work, probably fine for sports type flying though. Guess you could try a 14" prop on the motor but spec says max Amps is 32, which you would very likely exceed with the bigger prop.

Let us know how she goes
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 01, 2011, 04:44 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Christo,
What size prop are you using?.. the motor spec says 12" max. I'm pretty sure with an 850kv motor and a 12" prop you will be a little short on thrust for 3D work, probably fine for sports type flying though. Guess you could try a 14" prop on the motor but spec says max Amps is 32, which you would very likely exceed with the bigger prop.

Let us know how she goes

I'm using an EMS 14x7 prop. The Eagle Tree logger shows 31.7A at WOT on a fresh pack, so hopefully it should be ok. The motor is second hand and was used in an AMR by the previous owner, which gives me that extra peace of mind.

Anyway, I'll report back ASAP.

Christo
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:25 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,881 Posts
Quote:
I'm using an EMS 14x7 prop.
Anyway, I'll report back ASAP.

Christo

What / WHo is EMS?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:52 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
What / WHo is EMS?
Sorry, typo, it's EMP (www.electricmodelpower.com according to the packaging). I got a bunch of different sizes from a local hobby shop that closed down. I just checked and I actually put a 14x7 APC on it.

Anyway, the EMP props are a tad heavier than APCs and they have a slightly different profile or airfoil. The small ones (4.1x4.1) are much more efficient than the equivalent APC, but the bigger ones have a bit of a weight penalty.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:42 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Maiden

Hi Everybody

The wind gave us a break and I maidened the AMR this morning. The trims adjustments needed were as described in this thread and it flew as if on rails at about 3/4 throttle. Rolls are very axial with slight rudder/elev inputs. The KE still had some pull to the belly (mixes as per manual), so maybe I should re-check the CG and maybe up the rudder/elev mix.

This is going to be fun....

Christo
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,686 Posts
Christo,

Good to hear that everything went smoothly. I needed 18% rudder to (up)elevator so fully trim out the KE tuck.

So how is the vertical performance with your motor?.. Dont suppose you did a static thrust test by any chance?

Steve
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:19 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,510 Posts
If you have 18% of rudder to elevator, i suspect that your plane may be just a bit too tail heavy... if you move the battery to the front a little bit you will find that you can reduce the mix a little bit... But anyway in the end it is just a number! and i think it varies from radio to radio! so as long as you feel it flys right, it is right
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:42 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
If you have 18% of rudder to elevator, i suspect that your plane may be just a bit too tail heavy... if you move the battery to the front a little bit you will find that you can reduce the mix a little bit... But anyway in the end it is just a number! and i think it varies from radio to radio! so as long as you feel it flys right, it is right
+1.... I find it easy to get this plane too tail heavy because it flies so well at many different CG points. But when it is right on it flies best for me... When I say right on I mean at neutral CG. Neutral CG should allow you to fly hands off at 3/4 throttle both upright and inverted. Set to trim for level flight upright and then go inverted. If it rises inverted, then your CG is too far back. If it noses down, Your CG is too far forward. Get that set first, THEN set your mix
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:56 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
It's set up slightly nose heavy compared to the recommended 59.5mm position. It flies inverted with no down elevator but it certainly doesn't climb when inverted.
Moving the CG further forward would reduce the KE mix but it would mess up every other aspect of flight. As you say; the mix is just a number. Maybe different Tx's deal with mix % in a different way? My control throws are all as per manual so that's not the issue.

Steve
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:01 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,881 Posts
If it flies hands off level upright and inverted as you say, then it is not nose heavy (regardless off recommended 59.9mm). That set up is considered neutral CG and is best for this ship IMO. If that is the set up then the 18% mix is nothing to worry about assuming it flies well and you are happy