HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:50 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Yes that's normal for the AMR. The elevator counter balance sits about 4mm higher than the horizontal stab at the leading edge. That's what the KE mix neutralizes so the model doesn't tuck to the belly in KE
4mm sounds about right for mine as well. Does that impact hovering at all? I've only hovered for a brief time and don't recall if I had to use elevator much to keep it stable while hovering.

On a side note, does anyone know of a good spinner that fits the PA prop adapter? I don't like the carbon fiber spinner. It's a pain to center the prop so I can actually put the screws in and when I do get it right, the point of the spinner is off center so when I engage the throttle, the spinner looks like its wobbling. And to be honest, I'm not crazy about how it looks. I'd prefer an aluminum spinner. But most of my 5mm prop adapters have a much thicker shaft that the prop goes over. In fact I didn't have the PA prop adapter when I first got the plane so my first vox prop, I had to drill the hole bigger. I ordered a couple of spare props and ordered the PA prop adapter at that time, so now I need a spinner for it. (BTW PA guys, I really think the Thrust 40 should come with one prop adapter).
richh73 is offline Find More Posts by richh73
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh73 View Post
That's the other thing different with the AMR than my other planes. When I'm flying inverted, I actually need to pull back on the elevator a little for level flight.
That's exactly what I found. If I ballanced at 59.5mm the AMR climbs strongly when inverted. the cure is to move the CG forward a bit, it should not climb when inverted. Actually I find it reasuring to hear of someone who has found the same thing as me regarding CG position.

One thing when balancing the AMR: If you balance it by holding the top wing (as pretty much everone does and which the manual recommends) than it's actually quite hard to judge if the balance is right or not. You might support the model at exactly 59.5mm but if it sits just a tiny bit nose down then your true balance point will be significantly further forward. Just two degrees of nose down 'sit', which would hardly be visible, would mean that the actual CG was nearer 55mm than 59.5. Personally I dont worry too much where it balances as long as it flys right and mine flys right with the CG a little further forward than the manual indicates.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh73 View Post
That's the other thing different with the AMR than my other planes. When I'm flying inverted, I actually need to pull back on the elevator a little for level flight. Every other plane I have is either hands off inverted or push the stick forward a little.

I didnt say up or down elevator because I'm talking inverted and trying to wrap my meager mind around up and down elevator during inverted flight can only lead to madness :P

I definately can't do any fancy low inverted passes with the AMR until I break the habit of instinctively pushing forward on the stick a little while inverted.
If your plane flies level hands off while upright and you have to pull back on the elevator during inverted flight, then your cg is off. You need to move your battery towards the nose and add in less down trim until you can achieve hands off level flight during upright and inverted flight.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:14 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
If your plane flies level hands off while upright and you have to pull back on the elevator during inverted flight, then your cg is off. You need to move your battery towards the nose and add in less down trim until you can achieve hands off level flight during upright and inverted flight.
+1 I had my CG back to far at first. It climbed when inverted, was very very twitchy in flight, even hard to hover. One of the guys at the field said "that doesn't look like it flies as nice as your other PA planes".

Then I moved the battery forward about 5mm on the tray. It's now so smooth to fly both upright and inverted, does the best no rock harriers and hovers very easily.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:05 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
If anyone is interested in a Yellow AMR in the NJ (southern part) send me a PM. I can sell just the plane or whole IPA works with SAVOX servos and even a spectrum radio.

Carlo

PS Never crashed and only has about 4 flights. Just not the plane for me. I'm flying bigger stuff.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2009
472 Posts
I just picked up this used AMR. Anybody have any green pants they don't need? Just doesn't look right without em.
NeverEnough is offline Find More Posts by NeverEnough
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:23 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2009
472 Posts
Got my first three flights on my AMR this morning. What a rolling machine!!! I am very happy with it. Sweet Plane.
NeverEnough is offline Find More Posts by NeverEnough
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:31 PM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
331 Posts
Perhaps people that are happy with their mixes could post them along with what radio you are using. I have an Airtronics SD-10G. Haven't finished building my AMR.....
Sigh.........
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteam View Post
Perhaps people that are happy with their mixes could post them along with what radio you are using. I have an Airtronics SD-10G. Haven't finished building my AMR.....
Sigh.........
Regarding other peoples mixes even with the same radios, I would just use the recomended mixes in the manual as a starting point and fine tune from there.
I say this because I have a spectrum dx6i that I use for this plane and I set up all the mixes for the plane starting with recomendations in the manual and had to fine tune a little from there to get it just right, THEN my rudder stick gimbal return spring broke on my radio. I talked with horrizon and told them my issue and they said send it in for repair. Once they got it even though I had no reciept and I told them it was over two years old they called and said they would send me a whole new radio free of charge. They also said they noticed I had multiple models set up in the radio and asked if I had the settings recorded at home. I told them no. They said no problem that they would take out the module and send me back my old radio with the new one so I could copy all that imformation from my old one. All free of charge! Talk about customer service!
Anyway I did exactly that with all my models....but...They were all off. some were close but none were exact. Including the AMR mixes. That was on the same brand/model radio and the same exact AMR that nothing at all had been changed set up wise or anything else and they weren't right, so IMO i think it is a crap shoot at best and a potential time consuming headache trying to duplicate someone elses mixes.
J Charles is offline Find More Posts by J Charles
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
I just picked up this used AMR. Anybody have any green pants they don't need? Just doesn't look right without em.
Sweet bird you got there!
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:14 PM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Charles View Post
Regarding other peoples mixes even with the same radios, I would just use the recomended mixes in the manual as a starting point and fine tune from there.
I say this because I have a spectrum dx6i that I use for this plane and I set up all the mixes for the plane starting with recomendations in the manual and had to fine tune a little from there to get it just right, THEN my rudder stick gimbal return spring broke on my radio. I talked with horrizon and told them my issue and they said send it in for repair. Once they got it even though I had no reciept and I told them it was over two years old they called and said they would send me a whole new radio free of charge. They also said they noticed I had multiple models set up in the radio and asked if I had the settings recorded at home. I told them no. They said no problem that they would take out the module and send me back my old radio with the new one so I could copy all that imformation from my old one. All free of charge! Talk about customer service!
Anyway I did exactly that with all my models....but...They were all off. some were close but none were exact. Including the AMR mixes. That was on the same brand/model radio and the same exact AMR that nothing at all had been changed set up wise or anything else and they weren't right, so IMO i think it is a crap shoot at best and a potential time consuming headache trying to duplicate someone elses mixes.
Great point! Thanks for the response....
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:32 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
I still have the parts from the Extra would the pants from it work? Let me know. It is just sitting in the closet collecting dust because I cannot bear to toss it.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
anybody have any directions or a how to on replacing the motor box...this is my first balsa plane and i done even know where to start to remove it. Had a heads-up rc 3542-10 motor installed and the shaft sheared, wiped out the cowl and ripped the motor straight out of the mount breaking the motor box. Super ticked off this happened i had just finished trimming out the plane and was ready to actually fly it.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
anybody have any directions or a how to on replacing the motor box...this is my first balsa plane and i done even know where to start to remove it. Had a heads-up rc 3542-10 motor installed and the shaft sheared, wiped out the cowl and ripped the motor straight out of the mount breaking the motor box. Super ticked off this happened i had just finished trimming out the plane and was ready to actually fly it.

Here's the link but if it doesn't direct you there go to the PrecisionAerobatics.com website and click the "how to" tab.
There's a link there on motor cage replacement.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
thanks i had just found that myself...looks easier than i was anticipating
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102