HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:55 PM
santa cruz ca
Joined Apr 2009
148 Posts
here's the video take a look and tell me what you think.
i think the holes for the alignment dowels were drilled wrong possibly.

amr problem (0 min 55 sec)
sportsman is offline Find More Posts by sportsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:03 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Sportsman,

I am putting together a green one. I test fitted my lower wing. looks like 2mm (or less) open space at LE and about 1mm (or less) at TE. the wing does not need to be pushed into place as your video shows.

I started my build Friday....no problems so far other than missing prop adapter...which Steve put in the mail on Friday.

good luck with your issue...

Mine has a "serial number" burnt into the front of the firewall, just below the motor mount. Mine is #8720. One wing had a piece of masking tape on it with the same number written on it. Wonder if you noticed a serial number on yours. Each box was marked with the same nr.
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Last edited by allelectrik; Feb 27, 2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:53 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Remember the serial numbers should match on the fuse, wings and box too. I will check the vid later
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:14 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Build issue:

Both (lower wing) aileron horn slots are way to small.

One of the ganging horn slots is ok but the other is too small....easy to enlarge the small hole.

But I'm concerned about enlarging aileron horn slots since the z-bend hole in the horn needs to be fairly precisely over the hinge....and both are messed up so there is no reference where to start/stop the slot and how long it should be....could someone give me some dimensions from the TE and the length of the slot?

Appreciate the help....

Until now the assembly has been without major issues...
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:22 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
here's the video take a look and tell me what you think.
i think the holes for the alignment dowels were drilled wrong possibly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0jfU6LNjs
Great video Sportsman, that describes it perfectly. My build in this area had no problems, it fit together perfectly.

As the profiles for the fuselage and wing section are CNC laser cut, I think an error with those is extremely unlikely. What's most likely is the positionining of the CF dowels that align the LE of the wing. If it's a pain to send it all back to PA, I'd elongate the wing dowel alignment holes to remove some (not all) of the tension. Use a small rat's tail file to move the holes in the bulkhead up by a small amount at a time.

This way, the wing will still align well with the fuselage as they are the CNC cut parts.

Let us know what you decide to do.
s
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:29 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
Build issue:

One of the ganging horn slots is ok but the other is too small....easy to enlarge the small hole.

But I'm concerned about enlarging aileron horn slots since the z-bend hole in the horn needs to be fairly precisely over the hinge....and both are messed up so there is no reference where to start/stop the slot and how long it should be....could someone give me some dimensions from the TE and the length of the slot?

Appreciate the help....

The leading edge of my aileron horn lines up with the corner of the 45 degree chamfer on the aileron. I had to elongate my slots as well from memory. I simply ensured that the hole was directly over the hinge point as per standard practice.

In reality, in this era of digital radios, it won't matter too much if you are 1mm too forward or aft of the theoretical best position. You will adjust the neutral and end points for each control surface anyway to suit the geometry.

hth,
sub
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:26 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
Build issue:

Appreciate the help....

As far as I can remember the slots are in fact there just not cut all the way through the wood. Lie the CF control horn on it's side and position it so the hole is over the hinge, that will give you a very good indication of where the slot actually starts/ends.

dG
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:41 AM
santa cruz ca
Joined Apr 2009
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Great video Sportsman, that describes it perfectly. My build in this area had no problems, it fit together perfectly.

As the profiles for the fuselage and wing section are CNC laser cut, I think an error with those is extremely unlikely. What's most likely is the positionining of the CF dowels that align the LE of the wing. If it's a pain to send it all back to PA, I'd elongate the wing dowel alignment holes to remove some (not all) of the tension. Use a small rat's tail file to move the holes in the bulkhead up by a small amount at a time.

This way, the wing will still align well with the fuselage as they are the CNC cut parts.

Let us know what you decide to do.
s
i have thought about trying this exact thing but i am going to wait for Steve at precisions advice first. i am Leary of making modifications because i don't know how to check the wing incidence and from what i understand it is extremely important on this biplane.
sportsman is offline Find More Posts by sportsman
Last edited by sportsman; Feb 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:48 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
WOWZA!

Well, I had two spokes blow out on a wheel on the Addiction-X the other day; its hard to imagine as it lands so light, but I have been putting a lot of stress on them recently... We have been dealing with 15-20mph crosswinds out at the field, and the X is so light it will just skip sideways on the runway untill you give it power and get it in the air.

Rather than taking the wheels off AMR, I decided to move the AdX's power system (T40+Q45) back to the bipe for the day...

Boy am I glad I did! AMR became one of my favorite planes for a reason; this plane flies like a bat out of hell. It is SO aggressive in its tumbles and snaps, just so exciting to fly
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Baby gets a new pair of sho… errr… wheels!

Funny the talk about blowing spokes.

I was flying my ARM and landed just off the runway in the grass due to a sudden gust of wind. I walked over and placed the plane on the blacktop as trying to taxi over the edge of the runway usually results in a nose over and nicked up prop. As I started to taxi back to the pits I noticed that the poor thing was kind of limping on the one side.

I picked it up for a look and found that the whole hub had busted out of the wheel! It was not a hard landing; honest! Must have been the cold, yeah that’s the ticket. It was the cold.

Anyway, I replaced the stock wheels with some I had saved from somewhere. So now baby is sporting a set of neon yellow six spokes! Just the thing for spring!
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
Anyone have Spektrum DX8 settings for the AMR they could share here? I'm looking for a starting point with the mixes.

Also what is the best way to find the CG for the AMR? Last time I flew mine over a year ago I had the balance all wrong and it ended not so well. Just getting around to getting it back in the air now.

Sorry if this has been covered many times previously but I searched and could not find much. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
superpauly is offline Find More Posts by superpauly
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpauly View Post
Anyone have Spektrum DX8 settings for the AMR they could share here? I'm looking for a starting point with the mixes.

Also what is the best way to find the CG for the AMR? Last time I flew mine over a year ago I had the balance all wrong and it ended not so well. Just getting around to getting it back in the air now.

Sorry if this has been covered many times previously but I searched and could not find much. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Do you have the manual? There is a good discription incl photos of the CG rig that works really well. It's the method I used.

There is also a burst in the manual on a good starting point for KE mixing, but it's only a starting point. To get it right, follow the below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post10363545
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:26 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpauly View Post

@ Sky Writer~ sweet upgrade; wheels look great with that orange!

Pauly, I am so glad you asked as I have upgraded tx's since I last flew the AMR and I have been flying without any mixes. I am not on the Dx8, but the information would be helpful...

I dont need DR/Expo settings, I remembered how I like it
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
Thanks Sub! Those bonedoc clinics are awesome; I havent been through this one yet

I have the manual somewhere; it's just piled under a stack of RC rubbish and manuals I've accumulated over the last several years...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Do you have the manual? There is a good discription incl photos of the CG rig that works really well. It's the method I used.

There is also a burst in the manual on a good starting point for KE mixing, but it's only a starting point. To get it right, follow the below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post10363545
I can't seem to find my manual. I bought my AMR when it first came out and I don't recall instructions for a CG rig being in there. Was there a manual update? Could someone please take a photo of those pages or explain how to set it up? Would be much appreciated. I recall this plane being rather picky about CG so I want to be sure to get it close.
superpauly is offline Find More Posts by superpauly