HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:54 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
I hear the Quantum 40 is not being manufactured any more, so you might end up with the Quantum 45. It has a large heat sink on the side and is substantially bigger.

The AMR needs no modding apart from what's in the box. Some things can be improved, but that's up to you.

My only recomendation is to spend some time working on the CG. Use the setup as described in the manual, then fly it and play with CG. You will likely come to the same conclusions as PA on final locations.

Following that, spend some time on KE mixing. You really need it on this plane and it makes it so much nicer to fly.

Have fun with it, it's a great flying plane. I love mine.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:00 AM
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
My first Bipe, a green PA AMR "Green Machine" with the P40 IPA package, cf spinner and arms, and 2 extra 2200mah batts should arrive at the door step this (Wednesday) afternoon, USA Pacific coast time.

Couldn't resist after reading all the posts on this forum and watching the videos here and at the PA website. The impressive flying of Aerofundan, The Malaysian Mafia, Pelayo from Spain and all you other pilots are to blame!!

Infected with this addiction late last spring....pocket book has not been the same. Fly all electrics. About 35 hrs logged in (~165 flights), many with 4 chnl. Fly with DX8.

Consider my self intermediate with minimal limited aerobatics....no 3D....so will start flying sport, then gradually work into the more advanced maneuvers.

Maidened 2 planes last weekend...TwinStar II and Polaris seaplane....no issues.

The local weather is going to be stormy the next week so will have plenty of time to make the build. Plan on stiffening the motor box and epoxy the tail wheel assembly. Read all posts regarding cg, trim and Tx settings....I'm very careful with balancing at the proper cg....makes all the difference in keeping the plane in one piece.

Great info from the forum!!!

Looking forward to getting the "Green Machine" in the air....any suggestions gladly accepted!!!!
It seems that you have everything very well prepared so it should be uneventful build and maiden. You will have a blast with it!

As Sub said, spend some time on the CG and try the KE mixing (it does not require much - I did a lot of fights before turning it on and had no big problems with KE coupling. But mixing makes is even more stable in KEs.)

Enjoy he build and let us know what you think after the maiden.

Jakub
Cuba is offline Find More Posts by Cuba
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:09 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,360 Posts
Be patient with the build. I was just around a friends place and he has about 10 planes and one of them is a blue AMR hanging on his roof. Half the time I was just staring at the AMR it's such a good looking plane. Seriously you can just sit and look at the lines the carbon fibre and love it. Also be patient when fitting the battery there's a knack to it but once you get it it's easy. Oh yeah and take note of the trim setting notes in the manual, Shaun really knows his planes inside out so use the recommended settings. Finally it sounds as if you are fairly new, if you can afford it get a decent simulator they are worth their weight in gold.

(Hmmmmm think I just talked myself into replacing my AMR which I lost a while back.... Better have a chat with the wife!)
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
That's it. I just packed my 48" foamy in the car for an early morning fly on the way to work. I'm taking it out and putting the AMR back in. Such a nice flying plane...

sub
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
That's it. I just packed my 48" foamy in the car for an early morning fly on the way to work. I'm taking it out and putting the AMR back in. Such a nice flying plane...

sub
Where you flying? WHat time?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
Where you flying? WHat time?
Koola park

It's in Killara, Sydney. 6:30am

sub
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:01 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,360 Posts
Have fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,478 Posts
allelectrik, you will love your Ultimate AMR!!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
Have fun!
Well, I went, and so did the AMR. Shame you missed out Mr K, it is early I know! The AMR flew like the champ that it is. 4 packs went through it and added 40 minutes to my commute to work.

At this time of the day, I'm pretty sure Sydney would have the best 3D air anywhere in the world. probably 3 days of 5 year round are perfect with 0kn wind, and it is warm enough, except for the middle of winter when it's less than 10. In that case I have to wear a jacket.

sub
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:43 PM
It's All About Having Fun!
Joined Jul 2008
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Well, I went, and so did the AMR. Shame you missed out Mr K, it is early I know! The AMR flew like the champ that it is. 4 packs went through it and added 40 minutes to my commute to work.

At this time of the day, I'm pretty sure Sydney would have the best 3D air anywhere in the world. probably 3 days of 5 year round are perfect with 0kn wind, and it is warm enough, except for the middle of winter when it's less than 10. In that case I have to wear a jacket.

sub
What a way to start the day...well worth the 40 minutes I reckon
The Hitman is offline Find More Posts by The Hitman
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
593 Posts
The Green Machine landed.....all these parts and so little time!! Will take my time...problem is sometimes I take too long.

Subsonic:
Quantum 45 it is....will definitely take my time, including the cg; no mods; will look set up KE mixing.

Cuba:
I'll let you know how the maiden goes...soon as the adrenaline goes away

Mr. Kamikaze:
Will start out with settings recommended in the manual. Have the RealFlight 5.5 Simulator, been flying the Ultimate Bipe and Edge 540T.....I figure the simulator has saved me a lot of rebuilding time and is well worth the money!!

aerofundan:
I'm in love with her already!!!! ....she is pretty...

Thank you guys...
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:24 AM
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
The Green Machine landed.....all these parts and so little time!! Will take my time...problem is sometimes I take too long.

Subsonic:
Quantum 45 it is....will definitely take my time, including the cg; no mods; will look set up KE mixing.

Cuba:
I'll let you know how the maiden goes...soon as the adrenaline goes away

Mr. Kamikaze:
Will start out with settings recommended in the manual. Have the RealFlight 5.5 Simulator, been flying the Ultimate Bipe and Edge 540T.....I figure the simulator has saved me a lot of rebuilding time and is well worth the money!!

aerofundan:
I'm in love with her already!!!! ....she is pretty...

Thank you guys...
I do not know about others and really do not remember all posts from this thread, but I was building one AMR for a friend recently and I placed the ESC into the motorbox, rather than on the side of it as is in the manual. The reason is that the ESC on the side of the motorbox shifted the lateral balance quite a bit to the side where the ESC is. Putting it in the middle of the box, the balance is perfect. You might try those two differnt options and see what you like, but I believe that improving the lateral balance is always good for the flying.
Cuba is offline Find More Posts by Cuba
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:11 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
The Q45's servo lead is not long enough to put it on the motor box side either. I put mine inside the motor box, center line, just forward of the battery tray.

sub.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:28 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,303 Posts
I put mine in the middle of the box as well; will post a pic later tonight
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
Hello,

I ordered a Red one, will be here next Tuesday. Thought I would introduce myself. I am Douglas aka Steam. Look forward to getting/giving help here.

Steam
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam