SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Maidened the AMR today. Was a little disappointed with the APC 13x6.5. Will try the 14x7 and see how things go. But, as for the plane, man it is without a doubt the most stable compliant bipe I have yet flown. Absolutely no indication of wing rock when slowing to harrier, and quite floaty as well. Looking forward to a longer wringing out.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Here are some things I found helpful in my build.

1) TheKm's tail wheel mod works great. I would, however, use multiple small rubber bands, and check for breakage often. And, the dremel cutoff wheel helped when cutting out for the ply base for the dubro tail wheel bracket.

2) My rudder had no hinge slots, so I found using the dremel cutoff wheel made quick work of that little task.

3) To fit the canopy, you simply slide it forward at a 45deg angle, slide it up and over the cowl a few inches, let it come back down, and it falls into place every time, no problem - and the magnets are GREAT.

4) I found that epoxy'ing the wheel pants in place, let it dry fully, and then drill the holes for the self-tapping screw worked best. I used 5-min epoxy, and the cure time allowed me to get both pants exactly where I wanted them.

5) I used the Great Planes 1.75" spinner with the aluminum backplate, and it looks great - exactly the same color and finish as the cowl. I think it looks better and has a more attractive shape than the expensive cf spinner.

6) The thread in the wings for the aileron servo wires were worthless - I couldn't even reach the one near the opening under the fuse; but, I found that attaching a small weight to a piece of the thread taped to the servo wire connector, and then holding the wind vertical, and the wire fell right into place.

7) Although I also found that I had to open the hole in the first rib to allow the connectors between the servo wire and the extension to pass. If I were to do it over, I would probably cut the connectors off and solder the wires together.

8) In my next one, I will likely risk voiding the warranty and slightly open the shaft hole in the motor mount so I won't have to remove the circlip and brass washer. That way, you don't have to worry about separating the motor halves when seating the collet all the way.

9) And, MAN I would LOVE to see PA replace their philips head screws with hex head. The screw heads seemed very soft, and even though I have good drivers I still stripped the heads on a few. Hex heads are just so much nicer to work with, and everyone in the hobby has a set of drivers.

10) I could find no where that PA recommends default settings on the Quantum esc; in fact, in the esc manual it is suggested that for the type of multi- pole motor such as the Thrust 40, the higher pwm frequency will work better. But, I stayed with the default setup as recommended.

11) I, too, went the 3DHS way of attaching the horizontal stab, and ca'ed it without cutting the covering. All I can say is it isn't going anywhere; however, on the thin cf control horns I did use epoxy.

That's all I can think of for the time being; but, I would like to add that PA did an amazing job of fitting the wings/struts/cabanes - they all just fell into place without any problem whatsoever.

Steve
Congrats Steve, the amr is one he'll of a bipe. I too went with the recommended setup +1 for that it's very powerful. I noticed your mentioning you don't like the power of 13x6.5 props. I run a 13x6.5 prop and she has plenty of snot When stepping up to 14x7 be careful of heavy full throttle tumbles without going over motor box. Also I love your mods very tasteful, please post up some pics. I was thinking about modding the rear elevator stab with bracing this year.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:40 PM
What will happen if ....Oh....
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
324 Posts
The Ulti was the first plane I used wooden props on and I felt the benefits immediately. And they seem to me to be reasonably robust but I have only used the Vox props. I have only snapped them in circumstances where an APC would have snapped as well, but I only fly off grass.

Also I like the idea of going to hex head bolts in the kits too. The first thing I think of is the extra weight of the hex head vs Philips, but it is probably negligible.
OSOFAM is offline Find More Posts by OSOFAM
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:07 AM
TRETTLOCK
Göppingen
Joined May 2009
161 Posts
Untitled (9 min 5 sec)
PA what else is offline Find More Posts by PA what else
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:25 PM
I came, I saw, I went away
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined Dec 2006
341 Posts
Can someone help me with programming the throttle range on the Quantum ESC? I've tried everything but can't get the throttle range programmed, I am always getting zero throttle movement for the first 1/4th of the throttle stick movement. I followed the manual but it didn't help. Any change that I make to the throttle range doesn't get saved once I cycle power.

Thanks.
falcon7a is online now Find More Posts by falcon7a
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
324 Posts
Thats unusual. What have you tried? What radio are you using?

Try selecting a new model memory location in the radio and completely deleting everything in it. Then, with the prop removed, plug in the ESC battery with the radio throttle at full travel, wait for the beep, and then bring throttle down to 0. That usually works for me.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
341 Posts
I'm using an Aurora 9. I'm going to use the idle down feature of that radio to program in some up throttle with a switch. That should take care of the abnormal stick movement.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
324 Posts
Great work PA what else. That was a very relaxing video to watch!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
324 Posts
Thats a bit weird. Have you used this speedy on any other radio. I would want to know if its a problem with the speedy or the radio. Is it the first model you have used the Aurora 9 on? They are pretty new radios, but very nice from what people are saying, especially after doing the screen calibration.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2006
341 Posts
I fly all my planes with the A9 and have had it on multiple aircraft for around a year. Its an awesome radio. I think the Ultimate is the 4th or 5th plane on this radio. It might not be an ESC problem, I might just be overanalyzing this. I just want the motor to start instantly as soon as I give a little bit of throttle (like in nitro engines). I just feel that the first few notches on the throttle are not being used when flying the Ultimate.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Does the A9 have digital or analog trim on the throttle?

You may want to try going into "subtrim" menu and raise the throttle a few points.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
the seventh planet
Joined Dec 2010
506 Posts
nice
Edhs is online now Find More Posts by Edhs
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOFAM View Post
Thats unusual. What have you tried? What radio are you using?

Try selecting a new model memory location in the radio and completely deleting everything in it. Then, with the prop removed, plug in the ESC battery with the radio throttle at full travel, wait for the beep, and then bring throttle down to 0. That usually works for me.
I think with the Quantum esc's that will result in setting the brake, not calibrating the end points. I don't know how these esc's learn their end points, the manual only says that it does so "automatically" then describes a procedure using throttle trim which is weird.

Have you tried resetting to the factory defaults?
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:49 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
324 Posts
Hey not fair! you read the manual, that's cheating!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:55 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Well, I had to go through it recently, just to confirm that the Q45 was in fact acting strangely, not as a result of my ham fistedness. PA hooked me up with a warranty fix. Sweet.

sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:20 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
"Green Machine" to arrive soon

My first Bipe, a green PA AMR "Green Machine" with the P40 IPA package, cf spinner and arms, and 2 extra 2200mah batts should arrive at the door step this (Wednesday) afternoon, USA Pacific coast time.

Couldn't resist after reading all the posts on this forum and watching the videos here and at the PA website. The impressive flying of Aerofundan, The Malaysian Mafia, Pelayo from Spain and all you other pilots are to blame!!

Infected with this addiction late last spring....pocket book has not been the same. Fly all electrics. About 35 hrs logged in (~165 flights), many with 4 chnl. Fly with DX8.

Consider my self intermediate with minimal limited aerobatics....no 3D....so will start flying sport, then gradually work into the more advanced maneuvers.

Maidened 2 planes last weekend...TwinStar II and Polaris seaplane....no issues.

The local weather is going to be stormy the next week so will have plenty of time to make the build. Plan on stiffening the motor box and epoxy the tail wheel assembly. Read all posts regarding cg, trim and Tx settings....I'm very careful with balancing at the proper cg....makes all the difference in keeping the plane in one piece.

Great info from the forum!!!

Looking forward to getting the "Green Machine" in the air....any suggestions gladly accepted!!!!
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Last edited by allelectrik; Feb 23, 2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: correct nr. of logged flights/spelling