HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Insurance wise, does that count as an "act of god" or "act of the devil" ?

Serious question.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2009, 05:04 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
The worst part about it was it didn't happen while I was flying. I laugh when I put one in
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old May 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
Insurance wise, does that count as an "act of god" or "act of the devil" ?

Serious question.

The Devil for sure
Old May 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
I need to re-do the elevator hinges but have never done this type before. What do you guy's use for tape? Also any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:25 AM
lenoir, nc
Joined Jan 2008
220 Posts
What kind of watts and amps are you guys getting with 13x6.5 VOX props.
bigal422 is offline Find More Posts by bigal422
Old May 31, 2009, 09:43 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
I need to re-do the elevator hinges but have never done this type before. What do you guy's use for tape? Also any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what they use at the factory but I think it would be impossible to replicate (or at least extremely difficult) to do it with the stab glued into the tail.

I know if it happened to me I would slot the stab and rudder for CA hinges, do the ca hinges and seal the bottom of the joint with blenderm. (after cutting the original tape and peeling it off if possible.)
Old May 31, 2009, 10:06 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian

It's not hard to redo the hinges on the elevator. Its actually an old school hinge method that is very simple . You can use blenderm or clear packing tape. Each hinge uses 4 pieces of tape (it looks like two but each of the over/under pieces is two put together).

1. Make a bunch of little rectangular pieces of tape 1/2 of the length that you want them and lay half of them on your work surface sticky side up.

2. Take the remaining rectangular pieces and attach them to the ones laying on the work surface but this time sticky side down. i.e. sticky side to sticky side. Make sure that the overlap of where they attach is the thickness of the elevator and the stab because this area where they are stuck together is what actually goes between the two surfaces.

3. Start with the elevator and attach the hinges in same location as the old ones. One hinge sticks on top and right next to it one hinge sticks on bottom. Put all the hinges on the elevator, then put it up against the stab with the tape pulled out of the way and then stick them down to the top and bottom of the stab.

4. If all of this still looks and sounds like jibber jabber after you have looked at the old hinges for a minute or two, disregard this post and do what Aflipz said
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old May 31, 2009, 10:35 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
AAAhhhh! I have tape all over my fingers by now

I get it though and the factory stuff is done top notch, I doubt I could do as well after 10 tries. I'm putting a foamy together this might actually be an opportunity to practice this method.

Blenderm stretches, and packing tape is at best temporary. My guess is the stuff used by PA is a bit more heavy duty.

let's go over this again; I want to stick two pieces of tape, sticky to sticky so that it sticks to opposing sides of the surface and has a neutral zone, this neutral zone is only as thick as the surface or a bit more? This seems like a rather small sticky to sticky bond area doesn't it? (for normal tapes)
Old May 31, 2009, 10:39 AM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Thanks a lot guy's! I will try to do the tape thing first. After looking at the hinges I see how they did them.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:27 AM
lenoir, nc
Joined Jan 2008
220 Posts
Has no one checked the watts on these motors?
bigal422 is offline Find More Posts by bigal422
Old May 31, 2009, 11:29 AM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
One hour trying to packing tape thing I am slotting ca hinges The ca hinge is way easier than the tape!
Old May 31, 2009, 11:57 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal422
Has no one checked the watts on these motors?

I tried to this weekend but my power meter is pooched
Old May 31, 2009, 12:53 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
AAAhhhh! I have tape all over my fingers by now

I get it though and the factory stuff is done top notch, I doubt I could do as well after 10 tries. I'm putting a foamy together this might actually be an opportunity to practice this method.

Blenderm stretches, and packing tape is at best temporary. My guess is the stuff used by PA is a bit more heavy duty.

let's go over this again; I want to stick two pieces of tape, sticky to sticky so that it sticks to opposing sides of the surface and has a neutral zone, this neutral zone is only as thick as the surface or a bit more? This seems like a rather small sticky to sticky bond area doesn't it? (for normal tapes)
I redid mine with some good packing tape (clear big roll stuff) and it has held up for a long time.

You got the idea. That sticky to sticky bond is a lot stronger than you think and keep in mind there are two per each hinge. The ailerons on the Addiction and ES are this way too. It's plenty strong.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:57 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal422
What kind of watts and amps are you guys getting with 13x6.5 VOX props.
I cant answer that directly but it is between 450 and 500 on a 14X7 Vox. I would say you should be between 440 and 490 on a 13X6.5. If I had a 13X6.5 vox to test for you I would, but I dont.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:02 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
I was only getting 45-50 degrees throw on the elevator stock setup. Ca hinges 60 degrees I think I will be happy with the waterfalls now Headed out to re-maiden.