HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:34 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Hey guys finished mine 100% complete now, here is a few pics of it before maiden, if all goes well and weather permits i will maiden mine today, if all goes well we'll see a video of it very soon.

Daniel
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:17 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Very exciting Dan! Can't wait to see some vid! The red looks great!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:08 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Wow, It looks so much bigger in Dan's pics. It's got a "presence" to it. Looking forward to the vidS Dan!
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:24 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
just the right size ... or, maybe just a tad too small?

PA already gave us the best size reference of all, right from the get-go. Remember? Sure wish it were a little bigger, though, to distinguish it from the masses of others already out there on the market. Fiber-fusion will have to be the discriminator for it to take command of the market with a late entry. Even with the KMD and Addiction in my hangar, I'm struggling with that price line, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Any prices out yet for the all-up combos (plane, motor, servos, ESC, etc)?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:14 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk
PA already gave us the best size reference of all, right from the get-go. Remember? Sure wish it were a little bigger, though, to distinguish it from the masses of others already out there on the market. Fiber-fusion will have to be the discriminator for it to take command of the market with a late entry. Even with the KMD and Addiction in my hangar, I'm struggling with that price line, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Any prices out yet for the all-up combos (plane, motor, servos, ESC, etc)?

Yes It's true I had seen that picture, but I had also seen that part of Dan's yard too, with a mango KMD In it.

It's not the wingspan but the sheer volume of it that is impressive; look at that side area, this thing is going to be a joy to KE at that weight.

You're forgetting the other discriminator; how it flies! Seeing how the recent PA planes perform I wouldn't be surprised if this one was another winner. Dan's video is about to give those who have seen a lot of his videos a lot of info on how it handles.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:18 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Build Update

Tonight I got a little work done on the Bi-wing Green Thing. I got all the holes cut out in the covering, the gear and wheel pants mounted and the motor box installed.

So far everything is very straight forward and simple.

I read through the manual too. It looks like PA went a little further with this manual than the previous ones. It is very in depth and has a lot of helpful pointers on how to build a straight airplane. It also has a very in depth section on setting up the radio including various mixes and expo settings.

I can't wait to get this thing in the air! It is so aerodynamically clean and light it should fly very well! Hopefully Dan will fill us in on that soon..
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Sep 25, 2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: More stuff to add
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:21 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
Yes It's true I had seen that picture, but I had also seen that part of Dan's yard too, with a mango KMD In it.

It's not the wingspan but the sheer volume of it that is impressive; look at that side area, this thing is going to be a joy to KE at that weight.

You're forgetting the other discriminator; how it flies! Seeing how the recent PA planes perform I wouldn't be surprised if this one was another winner. Dan's video is about to give those who have seen a lot of his videos a lot of info on how it handles.
Side area + outer wing struts = a lot of side area! I think you are right. This thing should fly sideways very well

I also agree with you about the big discriminator being how it will fly. This thing is going to have an insanely light wing loading and masses of power. I don't think there is another plane on the market that will fly like this one!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan
Hey guys finished mine 100% complete now, here is a few pics of it before maiden, if all goes well and weather permits i will maiden mine today, if all goes well we'll see a video of it very soon.

Daniel

Dan,

The red looks great. Bet you will have a ball on the maiden.

RR
Radio Rookie is offline Find More Posts by Radio Rookie
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:57 AM
Newark ,NY, USA
Joined Jun 2006
194 Posts
I look forward to flight reports too. Pressure's on Dan again. This plane looks very cool!

This is a little off topic but I figured I would mention it anyway...I just realized that the price didn't show up on PA's website. I know it's up because of a previous post that pointed it out but it still said 0.00 for me. I decided to try internet explorer instead of Firefox and sure enough the price showed up. It's weird, some things are like that with different browsers. That probably also explains why the shopping cart feature never worked for me on PA's site. Next time I will try with IE.

-Peter
pallen_2006 is offline Find More Posts by pallen_2006
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:09 AM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa
I figured you'd be all over this one Vitter. I'm not a Bipe fan but I am interested in a video, then we'll see.
Steve
When I get one youíll just have to come test fly it!

Based on my experience with PA planes (Katana mini, KMD, Extra 260) I am confident this will be a winner. And itís a biplane to boot!

Vitter

Ps whereís that 3DHS biplane? Thatís next on my wish list
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:56 AM
RC Mafia: The Hit is on
Joined Oct 2006
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitter
Ps whereís that 3DHS biplane? Thatís next on my wish list
They have to wait until the PA Biplane is out first for a little bit of reverse engineering... Just joking....
Burger Thing is offline Find More Posts by Burger Thing
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:58 AM
Australia
Joined May 2008
98 Posts
Niiiiiiiiice....have the perfect weather to fly one here, BUT can't seem to BUY one here yet?
3Dehover is offline Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:07 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Thing
They have to wait until the PA Biplane is out first for a little bit of reverse engineering... Just joking....
Looks like the 3DHS bipe could be a ways out....thats why Im glad we have other quality plane builders out there like PA....Cant wait to see some video and here some reports. Great looking bipe PA!
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Comparison shopping?

I own the beautiful but oh so fragile and under-performing E-Flite Pitts Model 12 15, and have commented on it in this forum. Anyone else own or operate any of these competitive candidates, since all seem a little less expensive than the basic AMR? Relative merits and demerits of these roughly equivalently sized bipes would be helpful in determining a buyer's potential return on investment.

We know that QQ has a planned Turbo Toucan model out there in the ether waiting to come to market that is also in this size range, but at the moment it classifies as vaporware in my mind at least.

Your thoughts?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:48 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
If its as durable as the PA Addiction, then I think the extra price will quickly be justified. For those of you that have the Addiction, think of all those times you've fell out of a hover and hit the ground, smashed the rudder in, hit that landing gear dead on from a fall out or plain smashed the Addiction into the ground, only to pick it up and fly again. Imagine doing that with say an Eflite model, I don't think it would survive as intact. The PA planes seem to be like cats with 9 lives. A crash that would surely result in purchasing a replacement model for another brand, could mean just picking the PA model up and flying again. Ive hit the ground well over 15 times HARD with the Addiction that I (had , now put to rest peacefully) and atleast another 20 or so wing tip touches or taps. Ive only had to really repair it three times. Had it been any other model, it would have called for a replacement wing, or fuse every time. Thats expensive! Imagine having to pay for twenty replacement fuses and/or wings- would you do it? Now, rather than paying 130-150 for an average quality model, you pay 1000 for that average quality model (not that anyone really would) but the point gets put across, upfront cost is not always the only thing to consider. If an extra $50 is insurance for me that my model will outlast most others tenfold, I'll take it.
maiden-crash is online now Find More Posts by maiden-crash