HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 15, 2009, 05:23 PM
Live to fly
bighead93's Avatar
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf_Flieger
Xoars are great for performance but suck on the pocket book for hardcore 3d. Slightest mishap and use it to light your grill with. Maybe the experts can get a couple of weeks out of them but for the average joe they will suck your wallet dry imho.

Anyone try a Graupner cf cam prop? Their super expensive though. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/14x6_cam_...e_470_prd1.htm

I believe a lot of the Europeans also use the Graupner folding prop systems with the blades locked in fwd thrust position, again with Graupner cam props.

I know a German fellow had very good results on his Zerogravity Python using the Vairo prop system sold here. http://www.e-flightline.com then click on the Vairo prop link on the left,again with Graupner cf blades.

I neither have the time or equipment to properly test any of these and are just making suggestions if anyone is up to the task.

I agree, as much as I luv PA's planes a quarter to half oz extra is nothing compared to the piece of mind of not having a prop with motor box on Rye for lunch. I will definately be glassing my motor box regardless of propellor selection. It can't hurt.
Can't agree with you more! Plus...taking off a spinner at the field can be a pain...and what if you don't have a replacement on hand...I will give the woody a try...put will keep the APC ready I went over the entire motor box with thin CA...and honestly it felt a bit flimsy when I first opened it. There is no way any pilot can "FEEL" a half ounce on a plane...that just sounds silly! That is like telling someone you can feel the CG is off a half a millimeter I have to also mention that PA should change the battery trays out on all their planes...if you plan on using velcro...DON'T! You will end up ripping the carbon laminate off the wood...don't ask me how I know...and with the crazy high energy maneuvers...I don't feel safe with just a seat belt.
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2009, 05:26 PM
Crashing into the sky!
jackosmeister's Avatar
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,247 Posts
Im an average joe, and still on my first ZXF/XOAR whatever else they are wooden prop, with probably 50 flights on the AMR now - They are really nice! Im a bit dubious about the actual pitch speed of them, they draw a lot less current than the equivalent APC. about 6A less on a 13x7 JXF than a 13x6.5 APC on my motor anyway. They are very light, and I think they look sexy as hell with CF spinner and ali back plate!

You must be getting some good APC's bighead! If the hole is even in the centre of the prop I still seem to spend ages balancing them. They are cheap and plentyful, and provide resonable preformance (very generally speaking). If you are going to hit a prop into the ground, unless its steel or something its going to break!

To give you an idea of how much playing with props can affect the setup, and how unequal they are. A couple of months ago I was running a 10x10APC e on my 25e mustang with an S3025-6. It would suck back around 95A at 12500 rpm and pull the muzzy to 107mph, with pretty good vertical (once "on step" it wouldnt stop going up). I switched the prop to a Aeronaut carbon 10.5x8, amps dropped to 80, pulled 13300rpm, top end stayed at 106-107mph and it had nutttty levels of thrust, all from much less juice than the APC.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 05:30 PM
Live to fly
bighead93's Avatar
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
Im an average joe, and still on my first ZXF/XOAR whatever else they are wooden prop, with probably 50 flights on the AMR now - They are really nice! Im a bit dubious about the actual pitch speed of them, they draw a lot less current than the equivalent APC. about 6A less on a 13x7 JXF than a 13x6.5 APC on my motor anyway. They are very light, and I think they look sexy as hell with CF spinner and ali back plate!

You must be getting some good APC's bighead! If the hole is even in the centre of the prop I still seem to spend ages breaking them. They are cheap and plentyful, and provide resonable preformance (very generally speaking).

To give you an idea of how much playing with props can affect the setup, and how unequal they are. A couple of months ago I was running a 10x10APC e on my 25e mustang with an S3025-6. It would suck back around 95A at 12500 rpm and pull the muzzy to 107mph, with pretty good vertical (once "on step" it wouldnt stop going up). I switched the prop to a Aeronaut carbon 10.5x8, amps dropped to 80, pulled 13300rpm, top end stayed at 106-107mph and it had nutttty levels of thrust, all from much less juice than the APC.
Don't get me wrong...I am sure that the plastic APC's aren't near as efficient but when flying 3-D you are rarely pushing the power system to WOT for more than a burst here and there...at least I don't...most of my WOT are for uplines or tumbling...heck I would say that a majority of my flight times are mid-3/4 max!
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Registered User
hélicogil's Avatar
Swiss-Helveticum / Geneva
Joined Mar 2008
186 Posts
Here is the 3 blades's CF propeller...
I like it !! Nice look ! (in static...but what about the efficience in the flight, I don't know...)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2230147

Bighead : here is my velcro seat-belts :

http://forum.modelisme.com/viewtopic.php?id=167635&p=4

I've got no problem because of the "black gumi-gummet"...with them, you don't need to "crush" your lipo on the battery tray...don't slip and have a good "damping"

hélicogil is offline Find More Posts by hélicogil
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:12 PM
Registered User
msprygada's Avatar
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
That is like telling someone you can feel the CG is off a half a millimeter
How true. I was balancing the AMR and when I moved the battery fore and aft in the battery tray all the happened is that tail of the plane moved up or down about 5mm. So what do I use to determine if the plane is level? The elevator being flat? The line of the wing drawn between the leading edge and the trailing edge? I am just going to put the battery at the front of the tray and call it good for maiden. Plus like you said, I will never get the CG @ 97.5 mm. I fly like 4 different batteries all would need to be in a different place and you cannot see where the battery goes anyway as the wing is in the way.....
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:17 PM
Team 3DHS
BoneDoc's Avatar
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Fred, I just spray paint the light side with clear coat. That does the trick for me .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:18 PM
Registered User
msprygada's Avatar
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
Can't agree with you more! Plus...taking off a spinner at the field can be a pain...and what if you don't have a replacement on hand...I will give the woody a try...put will keep the APC ready I went over the entire motor box with thin CA...and honestly it felt a bit flimsy when I first opened it. There is no way any pilot can "FEEL" a half ounce on a plane...that just sounds silly! That is like telling someone you can feel the CG is off a half a millimeter I have to also mention that PA should change the battery trays out on all their planes...if you plan on using velcro...DON'T! You will end up ripping the carbon laminate off the wood...don't ask me how I know...and with the crazy high energy maneuvers...I don't feel safe with just a seat belt.
Big, what I do is use the material that is used to line tool boxes with. Kinda like the pad you can get for your car dash that you can just set your cell phone on and it won't slide off?

It is a very sticky rubber that I put between the tray and the battery and battery and then the battery stays put once you cinch your Velcro. My Addiction battery has never moved with all the throwing around I do with that one.
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:47 PM
Live to fly
bighead93's Avatar
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprygada
Big, what I do is use the material that is used to line tool boxes with. Kinda like the pad you can get for your car dash that you can just set your cell phone on and it won't slide off?

It is a very sticky rubber that I put between the tray and the battery and battery and then the battery stays put once you cinch your Velcro. My Addiction battery has never moved with all the throwing around I do with that one.
I thought of doing that as well
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng
i glued some sandingpaper (no 60 to 120 works well) on the batterytray.
on the battery i put velcro.
the funny thing is it wont slide but nothing is sticking when moving the pack.
yep and then two velcro strap around.
this sounded like a great idea and I went ahead with it for my battery solution... and it rocks. Think I'll be doing all my packs this way in the future
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:22 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
I also did the soft rubber thing on my 260 after delaminating my tray in my Addiction by pulling on the velcro.If you have an old mouse pad with rubber backing hanging around it can be a useful source of non slip rubber.
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:58 PM
Registered User
msprygada's Avatar
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
this sounded like a great idea and I went ahead with it for my battery solution... and it rocks. Think I'll be doing all my packs this way in the future
This is absolutely brilliant!!! I have rolled sticky backed sandpaper for some hobby sanding blocks I have and it took me 5 minutes to cut some of this and put it on my AMR and my Addiction. This works perfectly!! Now I do not have to try to put the sticky rubber under the battery once it is in the plane. I already have Velcro on my batteries as I fly them in planes that need the Velcro.

Man, the stuff you learn on here is priceless.

Thanks!
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:15 PM
желе&#
jefierro's Avatar
Monterrey
Joined Jan 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprygada
This is absolutely brilliant!!! I have rolled sticky backed sandpaper for some hobby sanding blocks I have and it took me 5 minutes to cut some of this and put it on my AMR and my Addiction. This works perfectly!! Now I do not have to try to put the sticky rubber under the battery once it is in the plane. I already have Velcro on my batteries as I fly them in planes that need the Velcro.

Man, the stuff you learn on here is priceless.

Thanks!
1/2" anti-slip tape for stairs did the work for me. I also use all the 3s bats in my 450 heli so all have the soft Velcro side, add a Velcro strap, and the battery stays put.
jefierro is offline Find More Posts by jefierro
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:24 PM
RC Mafia: The Hit is on
Burger Thing's Avatar
Joined Oct 2006
830 Posts
I think we had this topic before. But about how to secure the batteries, I personally use a tiny pad of velcro on the tray and a velcro strap around the battery and the tray to secure it. Never the battery came loose or by removing the battery it would delaminate the carbon fiber. The trick is, not to use too much velcro.

Another solution, Radio Rookie uses, is a rubber anti slippery mat between the battery and the tray and a velcro strap around it. He also never had problems with that and I can certify, if the battery won't come loose on RR's tumbles and blenders, then it won't come loose on anybody's plane

The rubber pad looks like that - note the holes, which is also a nice touch for keep the battery temperature in check:




About the APC props... Ah, well, we might have been unlucky with the batches in our LHS over the last months, but it was virtually impossible to find one with the hole totally centered
Burger Thing is offline Find More Posts by Burger Thing
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:09 PM
Registered User
msprygada's Avatar
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Thing
I think we had this topic before. But about how to secure the batteries, I personally use a tiny pad of velcro on the tray and a velcro strap around the battery and the tray to secure it. Never the battery came loose or by removing the battery it would delaminate the carbon fiber. The trick is, not to use too much velcro.

Another solution, Radio Rookie uses, is a rubber anti slippery mat between the battery and the tray and a velcro strap around it. He also never had problems with that and I can certify, if the battery won't come loose on RR's tumbles and blenders, then it won't come loose on anybody's plane

The rubber pad looks like that - note the holes, which is also a nice touch for keep the battery temperature in check:




About the APC props... Ah, well, we might have been unlucky with the batches in our LHS over the last months, but it was virtually impossible to find one with the hole totally centered
That is the same stuff I have for lining the drawers of my tool box. But there is so little room that getting that rubber piece between the battery and the tray is hard. The sandpaper trick is a much easier solution if you have Velcro already on your batteries.
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:55 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
PA,

The new Voltec 70MG servos look and feel great.

Tell me about the additional metal ring on the spline area of the servo arm.

Were there problems with the plastic cracking??

rc


Thanks Steve!
Appreciate the high speed shipping.
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GP Ultimate Biplane conversion SoarNeck Sport Planes 14 Dec 28, 2008 09:11 PM
Simple Series Ultimate Biplane exowatt Sport Planes 4 Jul 09, 2002 09:35 AM
Ultimate Biplane Templates for Foam Construction Here hoppy Sport Planes 8 Mar 17, 2002 08:34 PM
ULTIMATE BIPLANE - Another Meat Tray (Depron) Project. hoppy Foamies (Kits) 65 Jan 10, 2002 12:51 PM
Ultimate Biplane Colourschemes Armin Mangelmann Scale Kit/Scratch Built 9 Dec 08, 2001 08:03 PM