SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Not to say anyone is right or wrong in that argument but a monoplane would be the most antiquated aerobatic aircraft seeing as how aerobatics were invented by a guy bailing out of one one and watching it complete a full loop without him at the controls. He then later took up another Bleriot X1 monoplane and did a loop with himself actually in the aircraft.

Because of the brittle design of a monoplane aerobatics became the sole stomping grounds of biplanes during the early years of barnstorming and combat.

During WWII monoplanes gained favor as military aircraft because of the increased speed and range that they provide, but soon after the war the Pitts Special Biplane, the first ever aircraft specifically designed for aerobatics, became the most widely used performance aerobat and airshow workhorse.

The Pitts was followed by the Christen Eagle in the 70s and then the Ultimates and so forth. Today one of the best aerobatic shows in the world is Sean Tucker with his Oracle Biplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUT4v0z_KSk
He does an upright harrier at the end of this vid (cool!)

So, a biplane wouldn't make sense for a jet airliner needing speed and range but for an aerobatic aircraft, biplanes have a long tradition of being top performers.
Thank You!!!
bri_877 is offline Find More Posts by bri_877
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2008, 05:41 AM
Holland
Joined Apr 2007
106 Posts
http://flashstreaming.oracle.com/extreme/home.html

This says it all (click features)
Mistislav is offline Find More Posts by Mistislav
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:57 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Just saw him over the Labor Day weekend at an airshow here in Cleveland. Friend works for Oracle so got a chance to meet and greet and see the plane. Second or 3rd version and it is a modified Pitts/ Challenger in this version everything was rebuilt due to the stresses placed on the last airframes. They commented his engine could probably lift two or three of these frames. It is really a sick power set up as many of us place on our planes. He did pull the plane up from level flight across the show line to a 90 degree and just hang it there for quite a while. he went from stop and climbed and then did one of the longest tail slides (with control as he was calling all of his maneuvers with an open microphone during most of his performance) that he told the audience that this power set up and plane allowed him to fly backwards.

Walking pace high-alpha pass he does is amazing as well as his ability to fly down the show line with the nose of the Challenger facing you. It truly is the most powerful (thrust to weight & performance) bi plane out there. You Tube everything you can on Sean Tucker and the Oracle Challenger and you will be even more excited about the AMR

there are a few 50% and 55% Challengers out there that are pretty cool to watch

50% Pitts Challenger (2 min 47 sec)

I have flown Bipes for 3 years now and there are things I can do with them based on their set ups that I am only now getting the mono wing to do with control. A very good pilot (like all of you) will be amazed at the maneuvers you will be able to come up with. I have found that low light Bipe flights can cause some pucker with orientation and wing overlap. good idea to have some distinctive pattern on the bottom of both wings.
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:24 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,609 Posts
The ultimate has been one of my favorites (that i have always wanted to have) since i saw Chip Hyde flying it, if i'm not wrong he won two Tournament of Champions with it, here are two videos of him flying an Ultimate Bipe, he did say multiple times that having a biplane in competition helped him a lot, as you can see the plane has no limits whether its 3D or Precision flying it is as competitive as a monoplane.

2006 Chip Hyde TAS (4 min 34 sec)

Chip Hyde TOC 2002 (4 min 23 sec)
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:33 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistislav
http://flashstreaming.oracle.com/extreme/home.html

This says it all (click features)
That's a fu#%ing great website !
hercdriver7777 is online now Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan
The ultimate has been one of my favorites (that i have always wanted to have) since i saw Chip Hyde flying it, if i'm not wrong he won two Tournament of Champions with it, here are two videos of him flying an Ultimate Bipe, he did say multiple times that having a biplane in competition helped him a lot, as you can see the plane has no limits whether its 3D or Precision flying it is as competitive as a monoplane.
Thanks, Dan. Now, THAT's the size model I was hoping the new electrified PA bipe would be. I've been playing with the notion of electrifying the H9 46% Ultimate TOC now for more than two years, and so far, the thing is just too heavy (42 lb), so the motors and ESCs and battery sets available (and just barely) for that conversion (... one that would fly like Chip's gasser) are prohibitively expensive. I KNOW that Shaun could cut that weight WAY down with his fiber-fusion designs, and find a couple of good electri-propuslion mixes out there that would do wonders. Must be that the best market is in the AMR size range, and not a biggie like I was hoping for?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:28 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk
Thanks, Dan. Now, THAT's the size model I was hoping the new electrified PA bipe would be. I've been playing with the notion of electrifying the H9 46% Ultimate TOC now for more than two years, and so far, the thing is just too heavy (42 lb), so the motors and ESCs and battery sets available (and just barely) for that conversion (... one that would fly like Chip's gasser) are prohibitively expensive. I KNOW that Shaun could cut that weight WAY down with his fiber-fusion designs, and find a couple of good electri-propuslion mixes out there that would do wonders. Must be that the best market is in the AMR size range, and not a biggie like I was hoping for?
I agree, i have flown the 46% Ultimate and man that thing flys nice, but definately way too much $$ to electrify it.. its just easier to go fo the traditional 150cc gas engine, Overall I have to say i'm happy with the PA 30 - 40 size planes because since we lost our main field its really hard to have a good place to fly big planes, and with this size planes they can be flown pretty much in any decent sized park and yet they still provide awesome flight performance found in big planes!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
San Diego is clamping down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan
I agree, i have flown the 46% Ultimate and man that thing flys nice, but definately way too much $$ to electrify it.. its just easier to go fo the traditional 150cc gas engine, Overall I have to say i'm happy with the PA 30 - 40 size planes because since we lost our main field its really hard to have a good place to fly big planes, and with this size planes they can be flown pretty much in any decent sized park and yet they still provide awesome flight performance found in big planes!
Unfortunately, the city attorney's office (run by an absolute lunatic, IMHO) in San Diego has just prohibited radio controlled flying in ANY "decent sized park" or school-grounds in the City limits ... whether nitro, gas or electric, of ANY size; referring to an ancient ordnance prohibiting "gliding" (it's a terrible stretch to think the writers had anything but hang-gliding and soaring in mind when it was written). We can now only go to "approved" sites ... which belong to clubs, but are getting overly crowded because of the recent ruling. I knew we were having too much fun, so the lawyers just had to stick their noses into our recreation activities.
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
that really blows RJ, but if it's really that popular, the people (who elect city officials) and the AMA who covers you and has a definition of PARK flyers should stand up together and defend your right to exercise your hobby in a safe responsible manner.

STAND UP SAN DIEGO OR THE REST OF THE WORLD WILL FOLLOW SUIT.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:35 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
That's a fu#%ing great website !
no sh t! I WANT ONE! I fly a BME Challenger with 50cc gas power. It amazes me how close the full scale is in performance. I need to start going to airshows again as I'm feeling out of touch here.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2005
184 Posts
When will this plane be able to be bought in the states
steve bjers is offline Find More Posts by steve bjers
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
...all in my brain
Goshen, VA
Joined Mar 2008
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
http://musclebiplane.org/htmlfile/mbipes1.php

2nd paragraph, first line; "Biplanes may be out of fashion. There is no doubt that uncommon pilot flying skills are put to the test mastering precision aerobatics in these machines."

So it's not just me; I think these guys REALLY like biplanes, but they know it's a fact; biplanes are simply the old school way of doing things, doesn't mean it's wrong or bad; just old school! "antique"

So hang me for looking at a modern biplane for what it is; a purpose built adaptation of an old design. We cool now?
Just sitting back considering all in this thread... [wondering how many of Aflipz words will be a true prophecy and how many Aflipz will have to eat after he actually has an Ultimate in his hanger. Hoping needs an Alka-Selzer]
dumorian is offline Find More Posts by dumorian
Old Sep 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumorian
Just sitting back considering all in this thread... [wondering how many of Aflipz words will be a true prophecy and how many Aflipz will have to eat after he actually has an Ultimate in his hanger. Hoping needs an Alka-Selzer]
Now that brings a smile.....
Old Sep 21, 2008, 04:05 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Subscribing!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:30 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Man, that is one sweet looking bird! Shaun/Adad, when are you going to clue us in on what AMR stands for?

I think it is time to reveal what’s behind the Ultimate AMR name.

AMR are the initials of a very close person, who is bravely fighting cancer. When I designed this plane I really wanted to support him in this tough flight and decided to dedicate this amazing plane to him.

He was really thrilled and had tears in his eyes when he heard that. He also loved all of your ideas as to what AMR stands for, they are all so true.

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
www.UltimateAMR.com
Precision Aerob is offline Find More Posts by Precision Aerob
Site Sponsor