HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Maiden complete!!!

Shawn you magnificent bastard! You've gone and outdone yourself again. (That's my highest expression of recognition for outstanding achievement in the field of ARF excellence) And congrats on the new Quantum 45; it's throttle response and feel is second to NONE. I you not!

Maidened with all PA "IPA pro package" down to the slightest excruciating detail, 14x7 JXF prop and 37oz AUW.

Buttery smooth, nice slow realistic down lines with the power off, floaty and slow as an EPP foamy when that's what you ask of the sticks, violent blenders and tumbles when that's what it's instructed to do; the very meaning of docile; does EXACTLY as it is told, when it is told.

Amazing POWER! Fly vertical at 3/4 throttle rolling left, ease off a bit of throttle to stand still and torque roll, slam it and watch it get smaller. All the while the prop and motor ever so quietly doing their thing. It's eerie for me; this is the lowest RPM prop sound I have ever heard, but the tall pitch makes up for it. (It feels like the difference between a suzuky hayabusa's high reving engine vs a big V8 muscle car; both are about as fast down the straightaway but sounds are very different) Kind of makes you feel like you got a big radial engine in there, only it makes virtually no sound.

Bar none the BEST and EASIEST flattest flat spins I have EVER seen. Elevators practically happen on their own, KE is smooth (haven't entered the manual recommended rudder to elevator mix yet, I will as it does pitch to the gear a little, but no more than many other planes that I haven't bothered mixing out; in other words the recommendation for mix is correct, but before mixing there's not enough pitching to really complain about, it will make things even easier when mixed though)

Other than with my EPP foamy, i rarely attempt reversing rolling harriers (some people call these hesitation rolls; you do a rolling harrier in one direction, stop the roll and reverse it's rotation direction)

Well, AMR was BEGGING me to give it a try; man does this thing ever do it for my self confidence! I not only got the guts to do em, but was able to line up many "hesitations" without ever changing direction or altitude; feels like I could do em with my eyes closed; no other plane has ever made my life this easy performing this maneuver that is just outside the reach of my skill level.

Timer conservatively set to 6 minutes for the 3 first flights, no way I am flirting with LVC on this plane's first day I thought;

Resting voltages; 11.60 11.51 and 11.45

So, that tells me that with my throttle behavior, the pack I discharged the deepest had a per cell voltage of roughly 3.81v meaning roughly 40% remaining.

Packs were cool enough that I couldn't distinguish the one I just landed with from the next one in my pocket by touch alone, motor cool to touch and ditto for the ESC. No surprise there; this setup OOZES with efficiency.

Onlookers could not believe how quiet it was, I let them hold the plane after landing and disarming just so they could stand and be in awe before this fiberfusion marvel!

Rave reviews from the crowd that gathered.

P.s. there is still plenty of snow on the ground here, but small bare patches; I took off and landed off a ridge of exposed grass about 6 feet across and that was plenty, think it took off in about 1/2 that much, harrier landing it in that same spot was a piece of cake.

I was weary of flying something so big and powerful in the park; it is 5oz above the parkflyer definition but otherwise fits into it; they need to revise it so that PA planes are exempt from this limitation as there is no reason an experienced pilot couldn't fly this thing safely in an uncrowded park of reasonable size.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2009, 02:43 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Wow! I'm glad you loved the maiden The AMR is such a fantastic little bundle of 3D joy that I knew you would dig it! I am also very happy to hear that you liked the new Q45 and its throttle response. Things just keep getting better and better around here!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Mar 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Wow! I'm glad you loved the maiden The AMR is such a fantastic little bundle of 3D joy that I knew you would dig it! I am also very happy to hear that you liked the new Q45 and its throttle response. Things just keep getting better and better around here!

yeah!

By the way, I take back ALL the nasty things I said about bipes before, even the looks, I've grown accustomed to her face

Right now she's about the shiniest jewel there is to my eyes, second only to some things best not discussed on rated G forums.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:01 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,597 Posts
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aftica; Apr 23, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:28 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
yeah!

By the way, I take back ALL the nasty things I said about bipes before, even the looks, I've grown accustomed to her face

Was that comment for me???? Sweeeeeet! I have always felt that the Ultimate was the greatest aerobatic platform flying (I don't yet own a 540). I find it more than a little satisfying to hear someone as anti two winger as you sounded last summer admit they were impressed. And it sounds like you were.... Shawn working his magic with it was simply perfect in my biased eyes.
Now,...Does the green really fly better? Mine won't be a reality until summer as the bench is quite full and I'm hoping mine will be purple....
Wishing you a long, happy relationship with the green.
bri_877 is offline Find More Posts by bri_877
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary
Well I really like this plane but the budget is tight...Since the demise of my Hyperion Yak 25E,I have two spare HS65's and a Turnigy 35-42 1000kv as here taking up space.I have a turnigy plush 60 amp from the Yak as well here
The motor looks ok but the speedy is a bit porky.I may be able to use a Turnigy Guard 40 amper or even a Hacker X55Sbecpro ESC..all have switchbecs,all are a little heavy...but safe.(On Spektrum)
The other motor option is a Scorpion S3020-12 as in here again maybe too heavy and no way can handle those stated amps...mine gets pretty warm on a 13x6.5 on a BAF Yak.
I can scrounge up a couple more 65's and a Rx,but that's about it.$350 Au for the airframe in these times will probably get me in big trouble from SWMBO,but another 4/500 for fitout will see me in the doghouse for sure.
What say ye? will these bits work well enough?(Be aware I have IPA's in my 260 and my Addiction,just can't see it happening if I gotta buy the motor/speedy)
Hey PA,How bout a special for return customers eh?Dollars are tight at the moment.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Sorry, but I have to ask.... What does SWMBO stand for??
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftica

i'll need lots of flights to dial it in and to get used to looking at a biplane in the air... ...
john.

That was probably the hardest part of the maiden for me; not going TOO crazy with it before it's appearance under every angle is etched in my brain so I can be confident I know what i'm looking at while recklessly stick banging it into tumble maneuvers I don't yet know exist
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:40 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri_877
Was that comment for me???? Sweeeeeet! I have always felt that the Ultimate was the greatest aerobatic platform flying (I don't yet own a 540). I find it more than a little satisfying to hear someone as anti two winger as you sounded last summer admit they were impressed. And it sounds like you were.... Shawn working his magic with it was simply perfect in my biased eyes.
Now,...Does the green really fly better? Mine won't be a reality until summer as the bench is quite full and I'm hoping mine will be purple....
Wishing you a long, happy relationship with the green.

Oh yeah, Shawn is to thank for curing me from "biplane racism" I don't think anybody else could have done it, and I am glad he did! Hopefully it will attract some non-PA fans who do like bipes in the first place and give them a taste of what PA planes are about.

Does the green fly better? Probably, but having not tried any other color I can't say for sure. Hand me your tx when you get yours and ask me again after a pack or two. Of course, you'll then have to take my word for it
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri_877
Sorry, but I have to ask.... What does SWMBO stand for??

"She Who Must Be Obeyed"

(cracks whip tauntingly)
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:46 PM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, Shawn is to thank for curing me from "biplane racism" I don't think anybody else could have done it, and I am glad he did! Hopefully it will attract some non-PA fans who do like bipes in the first place and give them a taste of what PA planes are about.

Does the green fly better? Probably, but having not tried any other color I can't say for sure. Hand me your tx when you get yours and ask me again after a pack or two. Of course, you'll then have to take my word for it
You're not that far away .... I may just do that when the time comes. Your weekends typically free?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:49 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Yeah I know, that would be cool.

We could hold our own festival; NEFF "Northeastern Electric Flying Festival" This year, biplanes welcome!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:34 PM
pǝʇɹǝʌuı
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2006
577 Posts
Cheers for the colorful review Aflipz! I enjoyed reading that a lot.... echoed my exact sentiments when I first flew mine.
The scary part is that it keeps getting better!

As you said and others in the past, it is amazing that the same plane that tumbles, flips and spins like nothing else out there can also pattern fly with the best of them and then float home to a 3 point touchdown like a foamy.... the AMR has thrown the rule book out the window!! "We are not worthy"

Mick
Coonak is offline Find More Posts by Coonak
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:56 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Got a few more flights on my Ultimate today I really like the way it fly's but I am still having problems with flat spins and waterfall's. From a blender it flat spins awesome but just trying to get it to flat spin all by itself is no good Waterfalls look like tight outside loops like it just doesn't have enough pitch authority. I set the plane up with everything PA and have the pack now 1 inch from front of battery tray. Fly's inverted perfect, no diving or climbing. Do I need to make it tail heavy to get what I want from it? I will if that is what is needed. I am not knocking the plane,I really want to get this figured out I love the plane.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:11 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, Shawn is to thank for curing me from "biplane racism"
...so you're stopping just short of peaking your appreciation now by saving spelling Shaun's name right for his next creation?
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
LOL i'm so bad I always get it wrong

Sean, Shaun, Shawn... SHAUN

SORRY!