HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should future Whim kits be designed to accomodate the LPS system
Yes, continue designing with LPS when possible 44 20.66%
No, small brushless outrunners are the only way to go 169 79.34%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience (I'll look to do a more formal review thread later) regarding these kits!

These are my first Balsa kits ever, and I'm new to the hobby. When I received them in the mail (which by the way, Zeke mailed very promptly and packed extremely well), I was surprised at how thin and flexible the balsa was. I expected much more rigid sheets. This didn't cause me to doubt the structural rigidity of the plane when fully built or anything, but it was just unexpected (again, being new to the hobby).

I had purchased the Ultra Micro Monocoupe 90, as well as the Micro SE5a.
First, I built the Monocoupe (which in hindsight, may have been a mistake as the difficulty is higher). I'm really blown away by the level of precision in these kits, and how they are put together. The idea of alternating grains to create strength is basic, but for whatever reason, I didn't expect to see that implemented in small scale RC aircraft.

Anyway, building these were a charm. It's a different tactic than what I'm used to (building 1/10 scale cars). The parts themselves are very high precision, requiring the user to adopt similarly high levels of precision when assembling them! Some say it's like putting together a puzzle when fitting the pieces together... I beg to differ. The tolerances are so tight between each component that it's a much more delicate affair. A lot of aligning, checking, re-aligning and then setting to ensure perfect fitment.

I'd have to say I learned a great deal building these...and the Whim series is blind blowingly simple. Swift to put together, easy to align and the size is perfect (for me). Love it. I will continue to buy kits from Zeke as long as he keeps making them! I only wish that there were some WWI birds with ailerons
boro92 is offline Find More Posts by boro92
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:52 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,377 Posts
Greetings All

Well we finally had a warm and relatively calm day here in Northern VA so my flying buddy Ron and I got to test fly my new Whim SE-5A which replaced my previous one. After 5 midairs, numerous less than graceful landings and closing the car door on it, my old SE-5a was so patched, twisted and crooked that it would not flt straight at all. My last flight ended with a sickening thud shortly after take off so I picked up the remains and crushed whatever life was left in it. It was simply too far gone to repair again and try to straighten.

So last fall I started building up the replacement kit I had gotten from Zeke a year or so ago. had it finished around the start of the year but the weather has been miserable.

Test flight went well. A few clicks of trim and she was off and away flying just the the original when it was new. This is simply a great flying bird. Flew for about 5 minutes before I had to land due to low battery (guess I forgot to charge it!). Need to get Ron to dig his D-7 out of storage so we can start dog fighting and midairing again!!

I reused a lot of the stuff from the original. RX, ESC, servos and wheels. Used a new 10 gm outrunner as the original one was getting kinda worn out. When I built the wings I added a third wing rib inbetween the two kit ribs to stiffen the wing a bit. I also covered it with World Models Lightex as I had working with Solite. I can never seem to get it to cover well on sheeted surfaces, I always seem to wing up with a zillion tiny wrinkles.AUW is about 4.1 oz, flys nicely at 1/2 throttle.

Did not get a chance to take any photos as I was doing most of the flying, hopefully next time.

Need to add some exhaust stacks on the sides of the fuselage as the SE-5A just doesn't look right without them. Time to dig up some plastic straws I guwaa!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:15 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Anyone flying the Husky? Need something to fly up and down the street.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:06 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Anyone flying the Husky? Need something to fly up and down the street.
Do you mean the Maule?
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:34 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
LOL.. Sorry, it was late.. Yes, the Maule.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:57 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,037 Posts
Tram...you can PM MikeyTheV here on RCG and ask him about his. I saw him fly his at the indoor event he runs:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post23668021
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:05 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,029 Posts
Fokker D7

Here is my Whim Fokker with Parkzone UMX guts.
Build thread www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076589#post27215810
IH8VTEC is online now Find More Posts by IH8VTEC