HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should future Whim kits be designed to accomodate the LPS system
Yes, continue designing with LPS when possible 45 20.64%
No, small brushless outrunners are the only way to go 173 79.36%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I am kicking myself as I know you are too Zeke because in my rush to get out of the house Saturday morning I forgot my vid cam. Bats were charged and disks in the bag ready to go and like a brainless I forgot the damn thing on the sofa.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:31 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker
Well...if he designed the Midwest Tri-Squire...that's what I modeled the trainer after.
Great minds must think alike. Here's a shot of the title block on a Tri-Squire plan, posted, oddly enough, by a fellow going by the handle "Trisquire": http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1135598

Either way, I'm watching this whole series - like I need more airplanes!!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:51 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
Come on out here Zeke and we'll do a video shoot. I have access to a nice camera we could use and a steady cam.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Great minds must think alike. Here's a shot of the title block on a Tri-Squire plan, posted, oddly enough, by a fellow going by the handle "Trisquire": http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1135598

Either way, I'm watching this whole series - like I need more airplanes!!
Yeah...I still have a set of the plans. I may need to build another one of these days.
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Zeke... putting together the Fokker, the firewall shims as described are to add right and down thrust. all fair enough. the instructions though say the larger shim is on the bottom and the smaller one on the top... this would remove or even invert the downthrust it seems. So question is, big shim on the top or the bottom of the firewall?...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:58 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
Zeke... putting together the Fokker, the firewall shims as described are to add right and down thrust. all fair enough. the instructions though say the larger shim is on the bottom and the smaller one on the top... this would remove or even invert the downthrust it seems. So question is, big shim on the top or the bottom of the firewall?...
Thanks for pointing that out...it's a typo. Big shim at top, smaller at the bottom. I'll try to get the instructions fixed tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:52 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Apr 2003
99 Posts
Whimified PT-17

I really got fired up watching and flying the Whim models at the NEAT fair. Thayer Syme and Zeke put on a nice show with Zeke's float equipped Cessna, too. When I got home with all the new "goodies" I purchased, I immediately started thinking about my next "Whimmed" out model. The Stearman (can I say that, Boeing?) PT-17 is one of my all time favorite aircraft and I already had much of the drawing done from my Speedee Bilt reproduction kit. I figured it wouldn't take long to do the conversion, with the possible exception of the radial engine up front. After some serious cogitatin' and head scratchin' , I was surprised at how easy it was to render the old 7 cylinder Continental in a reasonably realistic and easy to assemble package. I spent an evening assembling the engine and finishing up the beta files for cutting the airframe parts. Retirement is wonderful! Lots of time to design and build!

More to follow later--

Ron Anderson
Monofoil Man is offline Find More Posts by Monofoil Man
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
Okay let "whimped " be struck from the glossary.
Replaced with
whimmed,or whimified.
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Stearman!!! I love it!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
NJ
Joined Feb 2002
348 Posts
If this is the recommended motor for these planes, what are people using for a prop adapter?

It's not clear to me if it comes with one. http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=46
helimatt is offline Find More Posts by helimatt
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helimatt
If this is the recommended motor for these planes, what are people using for a prop adapter?

It's not clear to me if it comes with one. http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=46
It comes with a prop adapter and a prop saver...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:00 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Monofoil - That engine absolutely ROCKS! I love it..

Zeke- Can we pre-pay, while we have money in our paypals?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:48 AM
Joined Apr 2003
99 Posts
Here's the next installment on the PT-17. Like most first attempts, some things had to be corrected, so those with sharp eyes will pick out the fact that the second former does not go all the way to the bottom of the fuselage sides. The original part I cut for the top sheeting on the nose did not fit either. I was playing with developing a section of a cone for the part and it didn't hit me till I tried to fit the part that it didn't taper and was actually a cylinder. Other than that, the rest of the fuselage went together smoothly. There are more parts than you might usually find in this simplified type model, but the rounded top on the fuselage looks so much better, I figured it was justified.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:23 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
All these whimified planes are just too cool . Please keep them coming !

Just need to stock up on 10g motors now

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:38 PM
Joined Apr 2003
99 Posts
More Stearman

I finished all the major sub-assemblies and fit everything together temporarily to see what it would look like. The original top wing had the same dihedral as the bottom wing and when I put it all together it just didn't look right. I know these are supposed to be "whimsical" versions of real planes, but sometimes I tend to get a little nuts about how things look. Anyhow, I cut another set of parts for a top wing with a bit less dihedral and fit it to the rest of the plane to see if it was better looking. I think it is, but I'm open to opinions about whether it's enough dihedral to give decent performance. I suspect having both wings the same would fly a bit better with just rudder and elevator. If it doesn't fly well, I know Brian will rag on me for making the same error I made on the Spad--and I'll probably deserve it.

--Ron