HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should future Whim kits be designed to accomodate the LPS system
Yes, continue designing with LPS when possible 45 20.74%
No, small brushless outrunners are the only way to go 172 79.26%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:11 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Apr 2003
92 Posts
Whim Spad finished!

Zeke--that little trainer looks pretty sharp. At 3.3 oz. I'll bet it will fly like crazy.

I stayed up late and finished the Spad. I looked and looked for a scheme I liked and was initially drawn to the simple cream finish with minimal markings just to keep it light. I overdid the finish on the DVII and it came out at around 4.9 oz. I was worried at first, but the little outrunner seems to have plenty of power even at this weight. I used World Models Light Tex film even though it was heavier than Solite. I just didn't like the transparency of the lighter film in the cream color. The Spad came out at the same weight as the DVII. I probably should have left well enough alone and laid off the detailing, but I gave in and dressed it up a good bit. We'll see if that was a big mistake when I get a chance to maiden it.
Monofoil Man is offline Find More Posts by Monofoil Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:18 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
Wow it looks great! I hope it does fly as nice as the DVII. I just got a package from Zeke this weekend and I hope to get a chance to work on them soon.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:44 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
All I can say is wow! Zeke ..great design ..and gentlemen exquisite models indeed.The detail slash simplicity is great ! I'm in love.
Long live the Whim series! Look out diddlebugs!
Danno
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:53 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Well...I maidened the Trainer tonight...a very light breeze, maybe 3-5mph. I double checked the throws, full throttle and a light toss and off she went. Straight as an arrow with a nice gentle climb! All I can say is perfect, perfect, perfect!

I took it up to about 100' or so and tested the stall...nothing out of the ordinary, nose dropped and recovery was almost immediate. No hint of either wing tip dropping.

I decided to use the LPS on this because I still have a few sitting around new in their packages. I have to say I was very suprised that it will cruise around quite happily on 1/2 throttle. THAT was a big suprise!

It took me a couple go arounds when I wanted to land because it just kept cruising by. On the third pass I managed to bring it in for a perfect wheel landing. WOOOOOO!

So now that I know it flies, it's time to ROG...it's a tail tragger, so it will ground loop (and it did a couple of times). Full throttle and the tail comes up quickly, maybe 3-4 feet. Once the tail was up it tracked perfectly straight and after maybe 20', it began a gentle climb on it's own. I could have gotten it airborn sooner (10-12 feet), but it just looked so darn good rolling down the street! I didn't shoot any touch-n-go's but I managed about a half dozen more take off's and landings.

Each of my two daughters got some stick time in on it too! (Makes a daddy proud!)
I probably got about 20-25 minutes total flying time. The low voltage finally kicked in after my last landing...I was going to ROG again, but the battery was spent.

I'm hoping to find one of those small light kits up at NEAT so I can add lights to it for some night flying!
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:39 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Congrats on the Spad, and congrats on the trainer guys. I really have to get into this size range. Hey Z, any chance of you kitting something for the 5 gram brushless? I have one of those and have yet to get my little projects to work out to my liking (flying in the back/front yard).
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Sep 08, 2008, 08:21 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Zeke

These look great! Hope you do a P-40 as part of your WWII series.

Sent you a pm.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2008, 08:32 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Hope you do a P-40 as part of your WWII series.
P-40 is on the list as well...
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Sep 08, 2008, 06:47 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Zeke,
Maybe you could get some of the fellows from the DiddleBug thread let you do their versions as kits!
The Bonanza and a few others would be awsome.

They're all pretty cool
Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:25 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
OK, how can I get some of these beautiful kits?
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 09, 2008, 12:00 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
OK, how can I get some of these beautiful kits?
go to this page and order up. http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/....aspx?catid=21
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:21 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,531 Posts
Greetings All

My flying buddy Ron and I test flew his new Whim type Spad today (see post #31 above for details). After driving around for about an hour today in the rain to try and find a place where it was not raining, the rain finally stoped and we went to a park near my house.

The Spad flew well. A couple of pictures attached. As the real Spad had flat wings Ron thinks the small amount of dihedral he put in his model may not be enough. It flies fine but he says you have to be a bit careful and watch the turns. Ron is toying with the idea of doing a second one with a bit more dihedral to makes the turns a bit easier. Aside from having to add a penny to the nose to move the CG up a bit it flew right of the board. The little 10 gm outrunner has more than enough umph. These little outrunners are a gem.

The pictures are a bit rough as it was tough to photograph a green Spad against the trees and it moves fast when in close!!!!!

We will be bringing the SE-5a, the DVII and the Spad to the NEAT Fair. Stop by and say hello.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:41 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
These are just super. To bad I have spend all my hobby money for this month. End of the month I'll place an order for one of these. When will that mustang and spad become available?

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:21 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
Zeke, ever thought about doing a "whim" version of your monocoupe?
I love the Golden Era style planes. Ever thought of doing a Keith Rider plane? or maybe An H-1 racer...ooh,or how bout the famous planes Mike and Ike?
These I believe would look great all "Whimped out"
Danno
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:57 PM
NJ
Joined Feb 2002
348 Posts
I've never built a "diddle" style aircraft before. I need to place an order for a few things, and I am wondering if I can get by with this stuff, or if I really need to go smaller. I think if I use these components, I'll be about 9 - 10 grams over what the "next size down" would offer:

2 GWS Pico Servos
Castle Creations Phoenix 10 esc

I plan on getting a small outrunner, a 250 mah 2S pack, and I have a Berg 4 or a HiTec feather to use as an RX. I assume these items are par for the course.

So, do I need to get ~3 gram servos and 6amp esc to do this plane right?

Thanks!
helimatt is offline Find More Posts by helimatt
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:00 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
The Phx10 will be fine. I would however get the smaller servos. The berg 4L is great for this and the 250 mah pack should be fine.
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member