HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jokeane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:01 AM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
Discussion
T-34 Success! and more Brio 10 pix

Dave and I returned to the flying field yesterday, and brought the T-34 out for its second maiden attempt.

The weather was great, but a tad more wind that the previous night. In theory, for the larger planes like the T-34 and the Sky Cat this isn't a huge problem.

To start with we setup my Sky Cat and the buddy box and double checked all the trims. For the first flight I handled take off and landing, but Dave flew the rest of the flight un-aided. The Sky Cat is pretty responsive, but Dave did a good job and got a feel for what happens when you get a gust of wind strong enough to knock the plane around a bit.

Next up was the T-34. I took it up for a short flight and trimmed it out for neutral flight. As per the official blog, it actually just needed some down elevator to compensate for the full down fixed flaps (part of the 'training' setup). The plane flew very nicely and has very good coloration for orientation. As many people have told me, the larger the plane the 'smoother' it feels in the sky. I'd say this is definitely true with the T-34. My landing was decent, but not perfection.

We hooked up the buddy cord on the two Spektrum 6xi radios, and once again made sure the trims were properly entered into both radios so they were setup identically. For this flight I was on the Master and Dave on the Slave radio. I gave Dave control, and he taxed out and took off like a pro!

He flew a bunch of nice circuits, and looked to have nice control of the aircraft. He did one test landing approach which we waved off (a little close to the flight line) and followed it up with a very nice landing! I did not take control at all, Dave flew it from start to finish!

Since Dave only has the original battery for the T-34, that was the end of the day for it.

Next up we flew my Sky Cat again on buddy box. I was ready to take over, but I never had to. Dave took off, flew some nice circuits and shot a few landing approaches and finally did a decent landing. He mis-judged and actually put it down in the 'rough' just parallel to the 'green' of the runway. Unfortunately this snagged the prop on the taller vegetation. This pulled the motor free of the firewall. Not a big deal, I figure it will take me only 1/2 hour or so to fix. Didn't even break the prop, which is normally what happens in this case.

Lastly I flew a nice little flight on the Brio. Still getting the feel for the plane, but I must say it is a nice responsive little guy.

Dave shot some sweet pix of the Brio with his fancy camera.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jokeane; Aug 31, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts