Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Help!
Can any one Identify this Model

I recently obtained from an older club member, a 32 inch (830mm) "old timer"
The member was moving away and downsizing, and was about to throw out the model. He didnít know the name of the model but had used it for many years as an instructional aid.

The model is clearly a kit as some wing ribs were numbered and it had a plaque inside saying it was constructed in Hong Kong in 1971. ( Name and address were given)

It was an IC model with a very small triangular rudder, probably one channel RC.

I was taken by it and asked if I could have the aircraft.

After sanding off layers and layers of paint I rebuilt the empennage, added elevators and increased by 100% the rudder, while still retaining the basic shape.

The wood was very hard and heavy and after removing the paint and my building work on the tail I had lightened the aircraft by nearly 3 oz which was important as I was going to use a brushless motor and did not want to have to add lead to balance it. All up flying weight is 10 oz

I added a little GWS brushless 002 motor and with a 600 mAh 2 cell battery I get about 12 to 15 minutes flight just puttering around or on full throttle she flies like a witch.

I am very pleased with this little model as it is just the best flyer but I would like to know what it is? Can any one help?

John
brennanj2 is offline Find More Posts by brennanj2
Last edited by brennanj2; Aug 31, 2008 at 07:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:15 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
No. Can't place it. I give up.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:40 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,826 Posts
mystery

Me either, can't place it Someone will though Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:22 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Thanks for the effort Gossie and Bill,

I didnot want to confuse the issue but I have two additional bits of info which might or mightnot be relevant.

1. On one of the peices of balsa there was printed the letter "o" which might be part of a name or the Kit Manufacturer or it might be the name of a part

2. Some one posted a picture of some kits ( an advertisment) not that long ago and one of the models was called "Frankenstein" which looked a lot like my model around the cabin area, however some basic research reveals that "frankenstein" was a 50 inch wingspan free flight model published in 1949 Aero Modeller, but the shape of the wingtips was not clear. There was also a half scale version of of this plan called "Little Moster".

The very small rudder ( before I increased its size) could suggest a free flight model.

If anyone would like to add their forensic or historic skills to this quest it would be much appreciated.

John
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:02 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
No way it's a FRANKENSTEIN. I've built two of them over the years, and have the second one built in 1981 here packed away unflown for a long time with an ED COMPETITION SPECIAL in it.

I still have no idea what yours is though.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:20 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Thanks Gossie,

One down.... 4million to go.

John
Old Sep 01, 2008, 11:06 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,706 Posts
This looks a lot like the 1961 Graupner "Topsy"
See here :
http://www.koralpe.biz/topsy.htm
and here :

Topsy (1 min 21 sec)

If like me you are puzzled at the prop saver on the Cox engine, check this :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888673
http://www.powercroco.de/elocox.html
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Sep 01, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2008, 12:14 AM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
JMP,

I think you might have it.

1. The nose looks about right and infact had that black,yellow and red colour scheme as per the advertisment.
2. The windows look correct.
3. Wing attachment is the same.
4. The wheels were as per the grupner site model and in the box, (I had to use new ones as the originals were too badly chipped)
5. Body shape looks about right.
5. Wing rib count is correct.

Only 2 things concern me. The model I have didnot have an elevator and the rudder was a lot smaller than in the advertisment. (A diagonal line drawn through the rudder was its original size)

If these differences can be explained away as a builders conversion to free flight or single channel radio then " By George he's got it".

Looking at the flight part of the video I really think the lightening and the little brushless motor have made a major difference to its flying characteristics.

Thank you all for your interest and assistance.

John
Old Sep 02, 2008, 08:54 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanj2
Only 2 things concern me. The model I have did not have an elevator and the rudder was a lot smaller than in the advertisment. (A diagonal line drawn through the rudder was its original size)
I actually built one of these way back then. It definitely was intended to be flown either free-flight or single-channel, both without an elevator, and the rudder was indeed tiny. A Cox Pee-Wee .020 was shown on the plans.
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Sep 02, 2008, 07:07 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
JMP,

Once again thank you for you assistance and the links.

John