HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Got mine. The box was beat pretty good so my LHS said check it and let him know.

All appears to be good but a few minor flaws....BUT both gun sights were broken. LHS is gonna get them replaced.

Meanwhile I will repair the broken ones (done it before when I accidently broke the sites off my DR1....wish they would do metal or etched sights cause the plastic ones are so fragile.

Can you guys tell me if the sights were just a circle, or did they aslso have cross hairs? (can't tell from the broken bits)

Also 99% sure it will not fit assembled in my wagon. Oh well at least I can bring more than one plane if it is broken down.

All in all, very nice ARF and I could only see one small wrinkle in the whole covering job. Gotta love the tediuos stuff like hinging and horns already done, leaving more time to detail etc. But there is still one of my pet peeves to do...that's mount the cowl lol.

Yeah kit and scratch builders must be cringing when they hear me whine about having to screw a cowl on....I promise though one day to start my Pup kit (will be my first kit).

Cheers
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
Can you guys tell me if the sights were just a circle, or did they aslso have cross hairs? (can't tell from the broken bits)
Going from memory since I'm at work, but I believe it's a circle with a post in the middle coming up from the bottom.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:50 AM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
306 Posts
Both of my gun sights were also broken off. I have since replaced the guns with Williams Brothers 1/6 scale Spandau guns ($20). I also replaced the pilot (another $20) since the stock one looked quite cartoonish and massively over sized. I hope to post some photos by tomorrow.

Pete
Pete Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Pete Thomas
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
I also replaced the pilot since the stock one looked quite cartoonish and massively over sized.
Yes I too will NOT be using the included Pansy Pilot. His bulbous head is an easy target for enemy aircraft.

Besides I wouldn't want his girly man makeup to smudge in a dog fight
Last edited by BrentP; May 06, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
306 Posts
Now that I know that the DVII flies great, I am ready to add a few details. Two of the items that come with the kit don"t quite do it for me. That is the pilot and the Spandau machine guns. The stock pilot looks like a cartoon caracature and the Spandaus are not even close to the prototypes. I chose to go with a 1/6 scale Aces of Iron German WWI pilot and a set of Williams Brothers 1/6 scale Spandau machine guns.

First the Pilot. Aces of Iron offers WWI and WWII pilots in a variety of scales. I chose the 1/6 scale over 1/5 because I felt that the overall dimensions were better suited for the for the DVII which is actually 1:5.5 scale. It comes as a hollow cast-resin bust with a tremendous amount of detail. I used acrylic paints from Games Workshop to apply the base coats, washes, and dry brushing. It took me one evening to do and I was quite pleased with the final result. I attached the pilot to the cockpit using velcro.

The Williams Brothers machine guns come in a styrene plastic kit. Make sure to order two because there is only a single Spandau gun per kit. I used liquid styrene cement to assemble the gun and then spray painted it with matt black. I still plan to weather it using dark silver dry brushing. I cut out the opening (8 mm X 48 mm) in the canopy with a small Dremel rotary disk. The guns will be epoxied into place when finished.

This is the first of several detail projects that I plan to do as I get more comfortable and proficient in flying it. Can't wait until next weekend.

Pete
Pete Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Pete Thomas
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:08 PM
Noblesville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
253 Posts
Just for comparison, here's the link to one flying with an OS 61 2 stroke engine
www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com/2010videos/h9d7.wmv
Steve Percifield is offline Find More Posts by Steve Percifield
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Cool Pete looks awesome. I too am working on my pilot.

I wanted to do the old swiveling pilot head "y" or mixed with the rudder.

I have an Aces of Iron in my alby and I have a 1/6 german bust from JUST PILOTS, but I felt 1/6 looked to small..seem to remember the D7 cockpit is tight (he would have been a good candadite for the swivel head as he is molded with a seperate head. Heavy though unlike AoI).

I had a Great Planes 1/5 german pilot so I decided to use him.

He is a bit of a big head and pretty boy too but I will scruff him up when painting. Still filling the areas the scarf doesn't cover.
Last edited by BrentP; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Man a bit back on the fence about pilot size. As I said I thought my 1/6 looked small, but the big head of the GP 1/5 looks big. You just can't win with a scale half way between.

Posted some prototype pics to get a feel of the pilot size. hmmmm....
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Cool Pete looks awesome. I too am working on my pilot.

I have an Aces of Iron in my alby and I have a 1/6 german bust from JUST PILOTS, but I felt 1/6 looked to small..seem to remember the D7 cockpit is tight (he would have been a good candadite for the swivel head as he is molded with a seperate head. Heavy though unlike AoI).

He is a bit of a big head and pretty boy too but I will scruff him up when painting. Still filling the areas the scarf doesn't cover.
Brent, that is almost exactly what I did with my pilot except that I installed a micro servo in his head with the geared shaft part sticking down like it was his spine. The servo horn holds it on with a ply plate I put in his shoulders. I hooked it up to my flap channel and 3 position switch so he can turn left, right or look ahead - neat. I thought about slaving that channel to the rudder channel that could be turned on with another switch but have not done so yet - so I can have it work both ways. I used the gp ww1 german pilot.

I don't have many pics from when I did it as my daughter "accidentally" deleted them but here's one of the servo in the severed head and a couple of him looking right.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Cool Rod. yeah I thought of the 3 position flap switch too, and i'll mix with the rudd.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Pretty much finished the pilot but for a few small touch ups.

Crap color balance on my spare cam lol.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:10 AM
Joined Mar 2007
13 Posts
on the picture

Quote:

Brent
What did you use to attach the head to the body? the black piece looks like it mates with the white piece perfectly , curious s I' m thinking how to attach the head to the servo and get a solid fit .
also did you just paint the jacket "fur" or did you add something?

Allan
Seahawk82 is offline Find More Posts by Seahawk82
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Hi Allan,
I basically used whatever was in the scrap box.
I had 2 plastic like cups, one is glued to the servo arm the other in the top inside of the head.
I used a piece of foam (like fishing line float) with a 5mm carbon fibre tube in the centre for support, combined they make the shaft from the servo cup to the head cup.
I will proably use canopy glue to attach the head to the servo cup.
That way I can pull the head off if I need to service the servo.

I did a "flocking" on the jacket collar, using ground foam (for model railroading scenery).
The facial hair is also MRing scenery material dyed black.

Cheers

Brent
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Hey guys, I couldn't find a prop size in Allan's review.

What size prop are you electric guys using?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I couldn't find a prop size in Allan's review.

What size prop are you electric guys using?
I used the recommended APC 15x8 (Electric) prop.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright