SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:29 AM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
Rudolf Berthold did fly a later D.VII more like the H9 model, with a high-level single exhaust manifold, but it still had only the forward louvred panels, and the top panels were left off, exposing most of the engine. That was the time of the fatal ammo fires in the hot summer, and pilots were taking no chances. Oliver von Beaulieu-Marconnay inherited the machine in question, moving the colour division forward and applying his own "4D" branding iron emblem in place of the winged sword. Undercarriage wing probably blue all over.
Btw, H9's blue is much too bright for JG II.

A sample from Georg Hantelmann's famous "Jolly Roger" D.VII at the Imperial War Museum in London has a dark Prussian blue overpaint. That's the one in my avatar. As the blue had to cover the rear fuselages and tails of four squadrons in the Geschwader, they evidently eked it out by mixing in the readily available national marking black. Late in the war, they may have used white as an extender instead, as the blue photographed much lighter.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Feb 01, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:16 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
I just purchased your Hangar 9 Fokker DVII yesterday. It will be built for electric flight using the E-Flite 60 motor. I have a few questions that need to be addressed before I start building this evening.

1. After reading through the instruction manual last night, I noticed that there is no mention of side thrust or down thrust when mounting the E-Flite 60 motor. The firewall for mounting the motor appears to be perfectly perpendicular to the fuselage. Is down thrust and side thrust required on this model?

2. I noticed that there was a separate fuselage former (actually a half-former) included with the kit but I didnít see anywhere in the instructions where it is used.

3. The instructions show that the flight battery is mounted all the way to the end of the battery mounting plate. However there is additional room (about 1 1/4 ď) between the forward end of the mounting plate and the motor firewall when installed. Is there any problem in moving the battery forward more than the instructions state (assuming that the battery is well secured)? This addition 1 ľĒ will help minimize the amount of lead required to balance the plane.

Thanks, Pete Thomas
Pete Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Pete Thomas
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:18 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,189 Posts
The lead I needed was with the battery pushed as far forward as possible, limited by the firewall.

I used no side or down thrust and found none was needed. The model does prefer to be flown with some power on at all times due to the large prop. Landings require 1/8-1/4 throttle with the motor, battery and prop combination I used.

I didn't use any of the extra plywood parts, but I did use the metal motor mounts that were provided. They worked well using the provided firewall drilling template. I chose to add extra cooling holes in the firewall and removed a small section of covering on the underside of the rear of the fuselage as an air exit. Both of these measures to provide additional cooling. An alternate solution would be to remove the pilot and open the cockpit instead of cutting the covering.

Definitely use the trick from my review to modify the landing gear or you won't enjoy taxiing at all.

Have fun,
Allan
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:45 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
Allan - thanks for the quick response. I will pretty much use all of the same components that you used. My battery will be a 25C Rhino 6S 3700 weighing 600 grams. What kind of flight times are you getting with your battery? How much extra lead weight did you finally settle on? I will definately modify the landing gear that same as yours. I had to do a similar modification on a Peter Rake 1/8 Albatros DIII that I built.

Thanks, Pete
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Just about ready to pull the trigger too, with the canadian dollar near par.
But to get it in my wagon every inch counts.
On the H9 site it states 49.8 in length, but Allan you mention 51in. in the review?

Also I would be using a 6s 5000, and I have purchased a sound system and the speaker weighs 6.2 oz. (hope to mount it in the cowl above the motor).

Hope the extra weight won't be an issue (the wing load at 10lb is still 20 OZish) Anyways do you think the speaker and bigger batt will be an advantage for CG or not.

I have a turingy 80 ESC and have ordered a turnigy BL 60 size eqiv.
So with my components it's the D7 (in it fits the wagon) or the camel I guess (it will fit).

Meanwhile just scooped the GP Neiuport 11 to add to my ww1 birds.

Bipes & Tripes baby!

Thanks
Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:44 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
What is the Tunigy equivalent of a 60? I was looking on Hobby City's site but wasn't quite sure. The stepside bed on my GMC Sierra only measures 49" across so I'll have to put it in diagonally too. I hope to avoid having to remove the wings each time I transport.

Pete
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:46 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,189 Posts
51 inches counting the prop. I think the box measurement is only the airframe. Honestly I've never felt like pushing my battery to empty since I like to use some power on landing. I've been having flights of 6-8 minutes depending on power used. This uses about 75% of the battery. I'd guess probably 10 minutes would be a good guess of a 'full' flight.

Personally I like my planes with lighter wing loading, but I usually fly smaller planes. I'd fly it without the sound system first, then make a decision about adding weight.

I think I ended up using about 5 oz. total in the end, but It was 'on the edge' of what I would consider comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if you used more, maybe up to 10 oz.

Allan
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
What is the Tunigy equivalent of a 60? I was looking on Hobby City's site but wasn't quite sure. The stepside bed on my GMC Sierra only measures 49" across so I'll have to put it in diagonally too. I hope to avoid having to remove the wings each time I transport.

Pete
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4914
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Apr 01, 2010, 03:40 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
I finally completed the build on my Hangar 9 DVII. The final weight came to 9 lbs, 11 oz including 3700 mAh 6S battery and 6 ounces of lead in the nose for balance. I was looking forward to the maiden flight on Saturday but this weekend looks like a total washout (and wind) for outdoor flying. Looks like I will be relagated to indoor foamies at the local roller rink.

One question that I have is in regard to the o-rings on the landing gear. Are both o-rings really needed per side? After installing two o-rings, the suspension felt very rigid to me. I removed one of the o-rings and the suspension felt a lot more compliant and usable. It feels very similar to my 1/8 scale Albatros DIII which uses elastic shock cord. My landings with my other bipes are fairly smooth so I don't anticipate that the landing gear will take too much abuse. What have you experiences been?

By the way, I did the landing gear modification where I added a wheel collar and washer between the wheel and the o-ring. I also drilled the wheel axel all the way through and used external outer wheel collars for the ease of taking the wheels off and on. I made sure to file a flat spot on the outer end of the axel two ensure that the wheel collar doesn't pop off during a hard landing.

Thanks, Pete
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:04 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
My youngest daughter shot these two pics yesterday. Mine has the -gasp- o.s. 91 fourstroke and now has about 3 hours in the air - it's holding up nicely.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:52 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
The weather forecast looks good for Saturday so I will be ready to maiden my DVII. However, I have a question regarding the control throws. The instruction manual says 2 inches of rudder throw on high rates. I assume this to mean total throw from left to right and not 2 inches in either direction? Two inches of throw in one direction would be getting into 3D territory. I also assume that the up/down throws on the elevator refer to the total throw. Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks, Pete
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:00 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,189 Posts
Pete, the rudder is quite undersized for the plane since it's scale size. Remember this is a biplane. I'd recommend all the throw you can manage on the rudder, but toss in some expo to make it gentle around center.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:37 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
What Allan said. . .

When it says 2", it means 2" on each side - you need as much as possible because there's not much rudder as Allan mentioned - the original (and this model) just had a relatively small rudder when compared to more modern planes. Also maximize your aileron throws - I actually used dubro long servo arms to give me more throw on the rons.

Good luck on your maiden. Make sure you have a decent amount of altitude before attempting your first roll as the plane loses a fair amount of altitude in this maneuver - adding rudder when you begin an aileron roll helps a lot too.

The plane actually flys very good. Take offs are easy - sometimes you need to correct with rudder. Landings are also easy but you do need to stay on it until it stops - its not uncommon for it to go over on its back just before it stops rolling. Elevator will usually prevent this - and often it won't even try to do it.

The wind does effect it a lot - cross winds are bad and at a minimum will cause it to scrape the bottom of a wing - land directly into the wind if at all possible.

But, as mentioned, it's relatively easy to fly. On a calm day, it's almost as easy to fly as a high wing trainer with the exceptions of the landing and that it generally feels a little "heavier" in the air (or slightly more sluggish). It however, does look great in the air.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:49 PM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It just looked strange with that much rudder throw but your rationale makes sense. I had to set the control linkage to the outer hole on the servo, the inner hole on the rudder control horn, and still had to increase the throw to 150% (Spektrum DX7) to get a rudder throw of 2 inches. I ended up adding 8 ounces of lead weight to the nose to get it to balance at 3 5/8Ē. I also set my high-rate expo to 25% and low-rate to 15% to start with. Iíll let you know how the maiden goes.
Thanks Again, Pete
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:12 AM
Lakewood, Washington
Joined Sep 2008
308 Posts
Iím looking for some more feedback on hooking up dual aileron servos. I am using a Spektrum DX7 with a 6200 receiver and chose to take the dual channel approach using the Flaperon feature. I am using the Aileron input for the right aileron control and the AUX1 input for the left aileron. What are the pros/cons of using this method as opposed to just using a Y-harness? What have you been using on your DVIIs?
Thanks, Pete