Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jokeane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:46 PM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
347 Posts
Discussion
Brio 10 Maiden Flight - Success!

I finally got around to building one of two Brio 10 ARFs I've had on the shelf for about a year. Here are my impressions on the build, my setup and my first flight.

Build

The build was very straight forward. The ARF kit was very complete hardware-wise and the manual was well written and illustrated with nice black and white photos showing most steps. I had to do a bit of warp removal with the stab, tail, rudder and elevator. Wings looked pretty warp free. I added larger wheels and left off the wheel pants since I fly off grass. I also replaced the stock spinner with a nicer 3rd party black 1 3/4" spinner. I'd say it took maybe 12 hours to build give or take. Pretty fast. Nothing tricky at all (unlike the Sopwith Camel I just built).

I went with a TowerPro 2908-10 brushless motor and TowerPro 30A ESC that I had pulled from my scrapped GWS Formosa II. APC 11.5x5.5 prop. FlightPower EVO25 1800 mAh 25C 3S lipo. Two HS-55's on the ailerons, two bluebird servos which as a tad stronger than the HS-55's installed in the rear locations for rudder and elevator. Total weight 33 oz.

I may prop up to a 12x6 in future.

I had no problems setting the CG to a bit behind the forward-most CG location from the manual. With the nice battery location setup, it appears that it won't be hard to tweak the CG back a tad when I'm fully comfortable flying the Brio and want to try more tricky stuff.

First Flight

A beautiful WI late summer evening at the Badger Prairie field. The winds were dying down to mostly calm, and for a short time there weren't several gassers blasting up and down the field doing knife-edges at chest height.

I set my radio to the low rate setup as per the Brio manual. The Brio taxed nicely on the grass, and the take off was a non event. Nice power, I needed to throttle back to 50% to trim things out. Only minor trimming was needed. Very nice precise feel to the plane. Goes where you point it and stays on track. Throttle up to full and the Brio climbs with good authority almost but not quite straight up.

I flew a bunch of circuits, tried faster flight, slower flight, loops, cubans and aileron rolls. All very nice. Very pleasant flier. Got down to around one minute left on my count down timer so I started shooting landings. The Brio slows down nicely and the landing was very nice and smooth. Total flight around 7.5 minutes. Used 1727 mAh of battery.

Due to the need to get my friend Dave's T-34 in the air before we wrapped up, I didn't do any more flights.

A short aside on the GWS Formosa II. Although this plane can be made to fly OK it is actually rather heavy for its size. That combined with the semi-crappy landing gear, battery hatch and other issues just makes it a loser IMHO. I made the hard decision to scrap a working un-crashed airframe (a first for me) due to my general lack of satisfaction with the plane. The Formosa II didn't fly as good as the Sky Cat, and compared to the Brio, well the Brio outshines any of the foamies and some of the balsa planes I've been flying by a long shot.
jokeane is online now Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jokeane; Aug 30, 2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: more info, pix
to remove ads between posts