SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jokeane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
Discussion
Testing the trainer / buddy system on Spektrum 6xi radio

My friend Dave is getting into R/C and has picked up a sweet RTF trainer package (E-Flite T-34). It comes with the same 2.4Ghz radio I've been using so we figured we would test out the trainer / buddy system with my Sky Cat.

Long story short, this wasn't quite as straight forward as you would think. Apparently the way things work you have to have each radio programmed EXACTLY the same, right down to the trims.

Needless to say, I missed the trims when programming Dave's radio to match mine. Dave was attempting to fly my now completely un-trimmed Sky Cat. Since he was new to R/C, he didn't realize he needed to trim it out (nor did I) so he experienced some very frustrating attempts at flight. The good news is the switch between master / slave worked flawlessly, so I was able to save things on each loss of control. This was good practice for me. :-)

Dave blamed himself, but upon further review it was clearly a setup problem with not getting his radio tweaked to match mine. We will continue to work on this, and I think now that we understand the problem it will work better in the future.

The Sky Cat has now transitioned to a solid sport aerobat in its current setup. Nice and predicable flights, some simple aerobatics. Decent power, but not overpowered. I might be able to prop it up a bit from the 11x7. Handles winds decently and landings are nice and predicable.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
I have a DX7 and a DX6i combination which I am going to try out in today in Master/Slave. The DX7 being the master. In the garage it seems to have all worked fine and the DX6i has had no models configured on it. Looks like it is using the DX7's settings although I will see on the slope shortly. ;-) Will let you know.
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Seems DX7 (Master) to DX6i has not issues like matching settings. Which is perfect for the reason I bought it. However it is annoying the fact that DX6i -> DX6i will not work that easily. O well still a great bit of kit
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag