Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:10 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
LOL

yeah the hanglider/ microlight wings are alot more complex than they look!
i am planning on testing mine for stability etc before i run it this time maybe out of a sunroof or something havent really thought about that part yet.. looking forward to it though

heres how they test real wings for pitch and roll stability, lift etc
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:47 AM
Spud Pilot
Palm Desert, CA
Joined Aug 2007
40 Posts
Safer to do that than jump off a cliff to test them...wouldn't you say?
Mr. Angry Eyes is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Angry Eyes
Old Jan 03, 2010, 12:07 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
yeah id have to agree with that
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
What material did you use for the wing
flyingfeak is offline Find More Posts by flyingfeak
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:21 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Ive been using ripstop nylon (what they make some kites with)
im reinforcing the leading edge with some ducktape though so it doesnt crumple when the air hits the leading edge
Old Aug 01, 2010, 04:10 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
i know this has taken AGES but it is very nearly ready for another test!

depending on workload i should be ready to cover and test the wing next weekend,
the wing looks a million times better than last one and the frame is pretty much a mini replica of a real wing so will hopefully work!

will post new pics soon
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:26 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
The pics?

Anxiously awaiting the pics!
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
will have new pics for you all over the weekend
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:30 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
right im back!
i havent done anymore testing yet as ive been doing more researching and thinking of new ideas,

ive had this idea for abit but ive made a mock up version to prove itll work before i put it on the proper wing

i was going to just tape the battens to the sail material but ive decided to make them removeable because this is what i will be doing on the next one i build so it can be folded up like a real flexwing

i put a thin strip of paper down the middle of the tape to stop the batten sticking to it and then stick the tape to the sail material effectively making a batten pocket for it to slide into,

theres a picture at the bottom of what a real wing looks like inside and my one should hopefully look quite similar!
ill take the camera into work tomorrow so i can get some pictures of all the little brackets and cable mounts that ive made,
the wing is a million times more rigid now its got the cables fitted,
and the new adjustable washout strut mounts and lufflines should give it good pitch stability

heres a short video of the mockup batten just to show roughly how itll look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Wj5V19Fpw
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:09 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
done loads more on my microlight lately, lots of mods and a whole new wing design,
tested the wing with no trike fitted and it glides lovely and seems pretty stable in pitch and roll,
this is still going to be a nitro microlight but for testing purposes have changed to a brushless motor so it can be shut off incase of it going out of control,
as soon as its flying ok the nitro engine is going straight back in

tested it today and it lifts off, theres no servos fitted for controlling pitch and roll yet so just strapped the aframe to the front strut and did a few fast taxis.
took off quite nice but once lifted the trike cant 'swing through' so angle of attack becomes too much and it stalls, bought trike forward abit too to keep nose down abit.
making servo holder in the morning so will be ready to test properly, got a long tarmac carpark that should be empty and perfect for a few takeoffs and landings before i go for the big flight

never flown a rc plane before i lasted tested my microlight but in april this year i started flying planes and am alot more confident about flying this now lol

heres the old and then new video:

old video:
old microlight test (4 min 49 sec)

new video:
RC microlight (0 min 47 sec)
Last edited by mark675; Nov 19, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
didnt get to make the servo holder today (will at work tomorrow )
but thought id try the take off runs again without the 'a frame' tied to the front strut to let the wing settle into its trim postion and trike to 'swing through' as it lifts,
i was fairly sure this is what was making it stall in the test yesterday so just used elastic to roughy hold the aframe position.. it worked beautifully! it took off and glided like a dream!!

did about 20 takeoff runs and you could get the front wheel to lift and keep it off the floor then a little bit more power and the back wheels lift,
its so stable that even with no wing control it will fly pretty straight and then just before it lands give it a touch of throttle and it levels off and touches down, highest i went was about 6ft which is plenty high enough without any control!!
gutted i didnt have a video camera with me but my girlfriend is coming to video it tomorrow and should have wing control by then so its looking good

cant describe how happy i am with this new wing, ive done quite abit of running with just the wing and it flies straight and level and creates good lift, when the wing dives it recovers by itself too just like the real ones.
the test with the trike fitted just couldnt have gone any better for the stage its at!
its been a long time coming but has been well worth the wait
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:19 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
wing frame connectors

Hi Kneeboy,

Great to see you are back! I recently started to get an interest in flexible wings and came across your posts. Inspired by your conceptual models with chewing gum I have been playing with similar models myself.

I made wings out of spaghetti and bin bags though to get an idea of wing design and cg. I have now settled on a very stable design - it's my first plane to fly!

I struggle to find good 3-way rod/dowel connectors for the leading edge. From my conceptual models I learned that it is important to have a rigid connection at the leading edge where the three rods (centre, left- and right leading edge) come together. Too flexible and you loose support and lift. I have been at B&Q but no success. Very difficult to find anything on the internet as well if you don't know the right terminology.

You have some close-up pictures of beautiful connectors you used for your frame. Where did you get these?
blinkingLED is offline Find More Posts by blinkingLED
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:58 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Hi blinkingLED

glad its inspired you to make one too ive had alot of fun building this model and the real fun of testing is just beginning

my wing has a floating keel design with keel pocket so my nose connector has to allow the keel to move (or leading edges ..depending on how u think about it) to allow the cross bar to shift across,
my flying wires and hole in the sail where the kingpost goes through limit how much it can move,
ill get some close up pics of all the connectors on my wing, i made all these at work using the machines and used 15kg trace fishing wire for the flying wires which is perfect for this and very strong.
flying wires are 100% needed on these wings to keep the proper shape.

did another test the other night, shifted trike back abit and did a takeoff run at a long concrete carpark ive found, it climbed almost vertical and then dropped back down so i knew this was too far back lol

once moved forward abit it flew beautiful again, flew the whole length of the carpark (in the dark) and landed the other side.
tested the steering on a few of the flights and it seems to steer nice, a little slow but not slow enough to worry about,
wondered if this was because its just weightshift or because of the springs on the control arm taking out some control authority?
u get used to how much you need to turn after a while to get the desired turn rate,
it looks so realistic in the air tho that im not going to mess with this, theyre never meant to steer like fighter jets!
and its controllable enough to turn pretty tight at 10ft and then level off again and land so good enough control for me

wing pitch control seems to be fine aswell from the little tests ive been doing, can be flared on landing no problem so happy with that

looking forward to a proper field test this week (..depending on weather, this weekends been very windy!) and will get a video of it

cheers,mark
Last edited by mark675; Nov 28, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:21 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
heres the pics of the connectors,
everythings ruff at the moment for testing like leading edge will be sown instead of glued on the final version
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
this has come along nice, the wing looks great. I think it would be neat to build a hangglider pod for it for light slope flying. look forward to full flight vid.
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Closed Thread